Compost Extract

• Thread starter leadsled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

@leadsled I like it. I've experimented a little bit with trying to grow a beard on some compost before starting an AACT brew. My biggest concern was, "am I growing a fungal beard, or a cobweb mold beard?". So I was curious if you are sure that that is mycelium, and not cobweb mold.

I looked at mine under a microscope and it "looked" like mycelium, but was hard to be sure. Have you done any microscopy analysis on the brew?

I've done some mushroom cultivation, and cobweb mold was a common problem. It grows much faster than mycelium.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
@leadsled I like it. I've experimented a little bit with trying to grow a beard on some compost before starting an AACT brew. My biggest concern was, "am I growing a fungal beard, or a cobweb mold beard?". So I was curious if you are sure that that is mycelium, and not cobweb mold.

I looked at mine under a microscope and it "looked" like mycelium, but was hard to be sure. Have you done any microscopy analysis on the brew?

I've done some mushroom cultivation, and cobweb mold was a common problem. It grows much faster than mycelium.
You do want to look at it under a microscope and make sure it is good fungi you are growing. Same pretreatment method can be used on aact not just an extract. Have done microscope analysis on brew compost as well as compost extract. Hope all is growing well.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

So I went to make some of this, same recipe except Bu Blend compost (mentioned earlier that should be fine). Copied the rest of the recipe identically and after 72 hours there's no fungal beard. It has been a heat wave lately - is there a temperature above which this process wont work?

TreeHiveCo

TreeHiveCo

Do you add all of the 30 ml of fish hydrolysate that was added to the seedling tray plus 4 tbsp of fish hydroxlyte?

Compost extract is the ticket. Faster and no brewing needed.
This will save you a ton of money with superior results.
Time to wake up and smell the compost, fish and seaweed.

Compost extract can be made in a few minutes anytime on the fly. No need for expensive air pumps, compost tea brewers, and tanks.
Increase the odds of growing the “correct microorganisms” for your plant by allowing the reproduction of the organisms to occur in the soil and on plant surfaces rather than in a compost tea brewer. Also extended brewing periods will select for organisms that can grow in water, which may or may not be the correct biology for your specific plant. With a compost extract you have much less risk of it culturing anaerobic pathogenic organisms.

I like to pre-treat the compost blend used for the extract 48-72 hours before I make an extract. It will grow a fungal beard like this:
picture.php

Recipe:
Take 1 cup ewc and 1 cup fungal compost or a composted forest product. (ca humus works well) Then add 4 tbsp insect frass.
Mix together. This is enough "compost blend" for a 5 gallon drench of undiliuted compost extract.

I then take 30 ml of fish hydrolysate and then add about 200-300ml of water to a seedling flat. Add just enough to moisten it down.

Cover and let sit a 48-72 hours.
picture.php

I then put 5 gallons of water into a 10 gallon bucket.

Get a compost extract bag. If you are in a remote area where they do not have compost bags, you can use a paint strainer.
Put 2 cups of this mix into the bag.
picture.php

I twist the opening of the the bag to keep it shut. Then put in the water and smash and mead the bag with your hands. Keep doing this for a few minutes until the water is a dark brown.

picture.php

Then I immediately add 1tbsp kelp powder and 4tbsp fish hydrolysate.
Take both and add to your compost extract. Mix well and drench your plants with it.
Can be used full strength or can be diluted as needed to ensure complete soil coverage.

Recipe is for 5 gallons can multiple up or down for larger or smaller batches.

Here is a foliar extract recipe for 1 gallon. Lower rates are used for a foliar vs a drench.
California Humus = 12ml a gallon - 3 tsp
Worm Castings = 12ml a gallon - 3 tsp
Insect Frass = 5ml a gallon - 1 tsp
Kelp Powder = 3ml - 1/2tsp
Fish Hydrolysate = 5ml - 1tsp

Can be applied weekly if you got the time. Usually see the plants praying for the sky after applying.
Wanted to pass this along. Has been working excellent for many growers.
Hope that helps.

Top Bottom