compost pile question

• Thread starter Buddy Hemphill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buddy Hemphill

I have 2 goats, meat rabbits, 3 dogs and a huge supply of horse manure.

I am collecting droppings from all. The goats crap alot in the hay in the barn (Ehhh..pen with a crappy roof..lol) and I have been collecting the hay and mulching it with my lawn mower to help speed things up a bit, before I throw it in. I have a big compost pile but I am afriad my layers of hay are too thick.

How quickly will a 5-6 inch layer of hay compost between layers of manure/dirt?

I am wondering if I shouldn't try to collect the goat dung some other way...shake the hay and get the layer on the bottom of the pile with the booboo for the compost?

Maybe the hay will rot just fine...lot of goat pee in that hay

TIA

K

Kllrbeeez

Keep the pile moist, and keep her turned over every week, should be fine. That compost pile sounds like heavenly earth love. Good on'ya

J

jonescreekranch

keep the dog poo out of the mix. But I'm sure you knew that.

B

Buddy Hemphill

keep the dog poo out of the mix. But I'm sure you knew that.

I am a compost noob.

I didn't know about dog poo. I knew meat left overs had oils that we would find undesireable.

Why no ..on the dog droppings?

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Dogs are omnivores and much of a carnivore. All carnivore feces should not go in the mulch pile.

F

Frank_Castle

yupper. I was going to comment on the dog poop but you have great advice already. Just in case dont put too much lawn clippings in the pile either. Horse manure + hay = perfect!

B

Buddy Hemphill

They pick a spot every year for that years manure. She likes to refer to the piles as... 4 year vintage crap, 3 year vintage crap, 2 year vintage crap, last years vintage and the stuff thats...well.. still wet...lol

I guess it depends on how you are mixing it?

It does stay hot, we have used the two year for our vegetable gardens for years. The last year manure is just too hot ususally.

This is my first year to add rabbit and goat to the mix...we'll see.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
What is the best way to make a composter? I have heard of using garbage cans and I have heard of using a pallet between 3 walls of cinder blocks. I could probably do a 50 G drum and roll it to mix yeah? I want to save some money and I don't need a lot. Thoughts?

O

Oregonic

What is the best way to make a composter? I have heard of using garbage cans and I have heard of using a pallet between 3 walls of cinder blocks. I could probably do a 50 G drum and roll it to mix yeah? I want to save some money and I don't need a lot. Thoughts?

We used a plastic garbage can with a locking lid, drilled some holes all over for air, scored some sawdust and a few other brown goodies to keep on hand... add some water and turn over by either shovel or rolling the can.

Best of luck, we throw away a lot less food materials and paper now.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Good for you Oregonic! Yeah I have seen some plays on the garbage can. I think that I might start one sooner then later. I usually just add my compost ables to the raised bed housing a lemon and a grapefruit tree. How much water is needed if I use a garbage can? 50 G I'm guessing. How about putting a spout at the bottom so you can drain your miracle juices? Is that how it works? How long about till you can use the compost? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Crom

Top Bottom