Composting, the Right Way!

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Ha, the "right way." There is no "right way." From 3' x 3' piles and turning every day or so and watering or allowing shit to age in a plastic bag or bucket there really is no "right way."

The whole idea of composting is to break down organic matrer to use as an additive to plant health, period. If you're not composting, why not? Too busy? Do it in a 5 gal bucket. Got some yard? You better have piles of leaves and cut grass or holes filled with waste. Seriously, it just doesn't get easier and don't you want good healthy plants? I do.

As a "farmer" I have a steak in this crazy world, albet a small one. I'm nobody, nothing. But add up all us nobody nothing's and we make up a pretty big part of this life. We have the ability to change things. Remember, it only took 3% of Americans to change history (tread on me and you will die, promise). I truly desire the very best for everyone. You need to step up and do what you can but I wish no one ill will. Well, with the exception of gophers and ground squirrels but that's just me.

Do you have any idea how much waste we as a society produce daily/monthly/annually? Yeah, waste waste. That's us. Send it to the dump. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Really? Are you honestly that clueless?

We, you and I, waste so much crap. We live in a disposable society. But you and I want to grow kick ass weed, no? So why are you throwing away so much usable shit?

I currently have several composting piles, boxes, buckets and a 55 gallon can that's been sitting for 8+ months and I would assume ready to use.

When I first realized just how much productive waste I had been producing I was very saddened. All those years lost and sent to the dump. What a flipping' idiot and what a waste.

Okay, here's the skiny. Stop throwing away free nutes. Every table scrap, with the exception of meat, bone, fat and cheese products need to be composted, by you personally.

Okay, you live in an apartment and no room. You're good. Keep on keeping on. You don't have the room/space and that smell would piss everyone off. Got it. But if you got a bit of room, and a bucket isn't taking up a lot of space you best be part of the solution.

Ideal way to compost: 3x3' pile of organic material, watered daily and turned with a pitchfork. Who produces that much and has that kind of time and effort? No one. Except that retired guy down the street with the best looking garden you'll ever see. Yeah, that's the best way but most of us ain't got the time nor energy. I know I don't. Screw that. Much better things for my time.

But we can achieve the same end results as that old retired guy down the block with a lot less effort.

Buckets and trash cans take time to breakdown waste. You doing anything else important? Didn't think so. Put that waste in a bucket on the back porch. Throw it in a hole you dug in the yard or just fill up the bucket, let it rot and fill another bucket. Donut shops sell used food grade buckets cheep. Give it a few months and start using it as compost on your plants. What have you got to lose? Your plants and the whole world will thank you.

Waste not want not.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ha, the "right way." There is no "right way." From 3' x 3' piles and turning every day or so and watering or allowing shit to age in a plastic bag or bucket there really is no "right way."

The whole idea of composting is to break down organic matrer to use as an additive to plant health, period. If you're not composting, why not? Too busy? Do it in a 5 gal bucket. Got some yard? You better have piles of leaves and cut grass or holes filled with waste. Seriously, it just doesn't get easier and don't you want good healthy plants? I do.

As a "farmer" I have a steak in this crazy world, albet a small one. I'm nobody, nothing. But add up all us nobody nothing's and we make up a pretty big part of this life. We have the ability to change things. Remember, it only took 3% of Americans to change history (tread on me and you will die, promise). I truly desire the very best for everyone. You need to step up and do what you can but I wish no one ill will. Well, with the exception of gophers and ground squirrels but that's just me.

Do you have any idea how much waste we as a society produce daily/monthly/annually? Yeah, waste waste. That's us. Send it to the dump. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Really? Are you honestly that clueless?

We, you and I, waste so much crap. We live in a disposable society. But you and I want to grow kick ass weed, no? So why are you throwing away so much usable shit?

I currently have several composting piles, boxes, buckets and a 55 gallon can that's been sitting for 8+ months and I would assume ready to use.

When I first realized just how much productive waste I had been producing I was very saddened. All those years lost and sent to the dump. What a flipping' idiot and what a waste.

Okay, here's the skiny. Stop throwing away free nutes. Every table scrap, with the exception of meat, bone, fat and cheese products need to be composted, by you personally.

Okay, you live in an apartment and no room. You're good. Keep on keeping on. You don't have the room/space and that smell would piss everyone off. Got it. But if you got a bit of room, and a bucket isn't taking up a lot of space you best be part of the solution.

Ideal way to compost: 3x3' pile of organic material, watered daily and turned with a pitchfork. Who produces that much and has that kind of time and effort? No one. Except that retired guy down the street with the best looking garden you'll ever see. Yeah, that's the best way but most of us ain't got the time nor energy. I know I don't. Screw that. Much better thing
s for my time.

But we can achieve the same end results as that old retired guy down the block with a lot less effort.

Buckets and trash cans take time to breakdown waste. You doing anything else important? Didn't think so. Put that waste in a bucket on the back porch. Throw it in a hole you dug in the yard or just fill up the bucket, let it rot and fill another bucket. Donut shops sell used food grade buckets cheep. Give it a few months and start using it as compost on your plants. What have you got to lose? Your plants and the whole world will thank you.

Waste not want not.
for aptment renters ,they can sure enough compost,bokashi takes all smell away,you can use it in your drains ,toliet,cat litter box,endless uses and if your hungry you can even eat it,good write friend,here is a pic of a working compost pile and reason for my fortress around the property,i have 45 that visit daily ,i got 3 fresh born babies running around right now,but i wanted to show you this and expand on the uses of such piles,this peach tree,i started from seed last summer,bought the peach at the store ate it threw the seed in a solo cup of soil and forgot about it,during late winter found it cleaning up and reworking all my beds and such,check it out

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i live on a rock,all my grows are made with my own soil,this is sitting right on top of a underground boulder at least 5ft a round,i was gonna jack hammer a hole and put my soil in hole and let the pile of compost do it thing,well just as you mention we the gardener have came up with pretty wild shit that works,this is a new journey as you mention,so from a forgotten seed in a cup,went from 5 gal bucket to this,i had to transplant cause you dont wont a tree going root bound on you ,just leads to problems,i cannot no way understand why folks buy trees in bucket from box stores and such,no telling how long that tree has been forced chemicals to stay alive in a 3 gal pot and for how long

E

eirI

View attachment 872875

Ideal way to compost: 3x3' pile of organic material, watered daily and turned with a pitchfork. Who produces that much and has that kind of time and effort? No one. Except that retired guy down the street with the best looking garden you'll ever see. Yeah, that's the best way but most of us ain't got the time nor energy. I know I don't. Screw that. Much better things for my time.

Waste not want not.
View attachment 872874
Couldn’t say it better PlumberSoCal. Thank you

E

eirI

for aptment renters ,they can sure enough compost,bokashi takes all smell away,you can use it in your drains ,toliet,cat litter box,endless uses and if your hungry you can even eat it,good write friend,here is a pic of a working compost pile and reason for my fortress around the property,i have 45 that visit daily ,i got 3 fresh born babies running around right now,but i wanted to show you this and expand on the uses of such piles,this peach tree,i started from seed last summer,bought the peach at the store ate it threw the seed in a solo cup of soil and forgot about it,during late winter found it cleaning up and reworking all my beds and such,check it out

Oldskol4evr beautiful pile with that peach tree thriving and the pic above with young deer looking right at me. Nice

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I've composted in a double pallet, 3x3' watering and turning, a hole in the ground, in a large trashcan with the lid closed (I should have broken up the egg shells) and this year have been making 4x5' wooden boxes with shower door lids. They all work, some quicker than others but I don't care. Why waste all of those free nutrients?

20190130 165123
20190530 152544
20190530 152559
20190528 222856

Latest posts

Top Bottom