Concealed Window Ac

• Thread starter Ryesty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ryesty

Ryesty

Anyone ever setup a window unit AC inside without cutting a hole? I really don’t want to cut a hole and have it hanging out of my detached building. It’s legal here just don’t want the neighbors talking or get ripped off. Any suggestions will help.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

It wouldn’t be an air conditioner anymore. You would be turning it into a dehumidifier. You might be able to get away with an evaporative/swamp cooler. Depends on your humidity.

DGP

DGP

Maybe use one of the portable AC units that just have a 6" exhaust hose you can vent it out the roof or figure a way to concealed a hose. I just bought one at home despot, a Toshiba 8000 BTU and it just has a single exhaust hose, my IdealAir has two hoses (an intake as well as exhaust).

Dee

Ryesty

Ryesty

Maybe use one of the portable AC units that just have a 6" exhaust hose you can vent it out the roof or figure a way to concealed a hose. I just bought one at home despot, a Toshiba 8000 BTU and it just has a single exhaust hose, my IdealAir has two hoses (an intake as well as exhaust).

Dee
I have one of the 12000 btu portable units but it keeps giving me problems. It’s at the repair shop now. I have a nice big window unit from before we had central air in the house. It’s just sitting in the garage I was hoping to use it. I thought I could set it on a stand and make a sheet metal housing around the end of it and exhaust it out with a 6 inch flex. I guess that won’t work. Hopefully the repair guy will have it done in a day or 2. Held up until then

Ryesty

Ryesty

It wouldn’t be an air conditioner anymore. You would be turning it into a dehumidifier. You might be able to get away with an evaporative/swamp cooler. Depends on your humidity.
I’m in Colorado humidity is around 10% outside

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

The portable will throw smell outside of your shed and expel conditioned air, unless it has an intake and exhaust. What is worse the smell or the ac sticking out of the shed? The window unit pulls air in and pushes it through the coils. Air doesn’t exchange between the inside and outside. If you seal up a window banger properly you shouldn’t have stink.

How many lights are you trying to cool? If it is one or two try the Evap cooler. I’ve only used a swamp cooler to condition a single family home. Never used one to condition a grow room. Hopefully someone has some experience with that setup to direct you.

Ryesty

Ryesty

The portable will throw smell outside of your shed and expel conditioned air, unless it has an intake and exhaust. What is worse the smell or the ac sticking out of the shed? The window unit pulls air in and pushes it through the coils. Air doesn’t exchange between the inside and outside. If you seal up a window banger properly you shouldn’t have stink.

How many lights are you trying to cool? If it is one or two try the Evap cooler. I’ve only used a swamp cooler to condition a single family home. Never used one to condition a grow room. Hopefully someone has some experience with that setup to direct you.
Just a 4 banger it’s pretty cool at night when there on.

just running a 4 banger. It’s pretty cool outside at night when they’re on. It’s up to 90 during the day when there off.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

There are places to look up, it's easy to do, duct tape a box around the exhaust on the window a.c., make sure not to obstruct air flow from the side a.c. vents, this is the air goes in to be cooled. Just cut a hole and hook up some insulated ducting to the box, throw in a small inline and exhaust into attic or outside.

20180512 083312
Ryesty

Ryesty

There are places to look up, it's easy to do, duct tape a box around the exhaust on the window a.c., make sure not to obstruct air flow from the side a.c. vents, this is the air goes in to be cooled. Just cut a hole and hook up some insulated ducting to the box, throw in a small inline and exhaust into attic or outside.
Thanks I thought that would work. I’m going to make a box and put a 6 inch exhaust line going out. I have an inline exhaust fan I can hook up to it to help it out also. Thanks for the help

S

stemznseedz

foam board boxes on the back of a window shaker work I used them for years.....but they suck. So much heat and water comes off the back the boxes seem to fall apart over time, either way, they always leak some heat into the room they are in and wost off I've always had to drill a hole in the bottom of them to let water drain from inside the box.

if it's a permanent install and you just are refusing to go mini-split I'd build a lung room for the back of it and then exchange that air with two ducts (intake/exhaust) to the outside or wherever you need heat. even if it's just the size of a closet it will be 100x better than a foam board box.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

foam board boxes on the back of a window shaker work I used them for years.....but they suck. So much heat and water comes off the back the boxes seem to fall apart over time, either way, they always leak some heat into the room they are in and wost off I've always had to drill a hole in the bottom of them to let water drain from inside the box.

if it's a permanent install and you just are refusing to go mini-split I'd build a lung room for the back of it and then exchange that air with two ducts (intake/exhaust) to the outside or wherever you need heat. even if it's just the size of a closet it will be 100x better than a foam board box.
Exactly.

Ryesty

Ryesty

I have access to a mini split but it seems to be a lot for a 10x12. Plan on using it somewhere else in the near future. My portable ac is fixed now, picking it up this afternoon from the shop hopefully it will keep up. I’ll wait on the window shaker for now. It’s a back up if nothing else. Thanks for the input

str8smokn

str8smokn

I’ve seen like @MirrorZen just posted done before by another old schooler on here and it worked for him with no problem.
STR8

Ryesty

Ryesty

I think I’m gonna go ahead and make a shaker box. I’ll make it out of sheet metal and install a drain in it. Paint it with some good duct sealant and see how it works. The portable isn’t keeping up they way it should so I’ll give it a shot. I’ll post pics as I’m fabricating it.

W

WORDZ

wouldn't using a window ac like that cause negative pressure in the room that would pull out the cold air and basicall you end up paying a bill for an a/c that doesn't have any efficiency at all and barely works? plus will pull smell because it's sharing an airspace with the grow and isn't filtered? I'm just not seeing the benefit of having a duct blowing out stanky air vs people seeing an air conditioner.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

wouldn't using a window ac like that cause negative pressure in the room that would pull out the cold air and basicall you end up paying a bill for an a/c that doesn't have any efficiency at all and barely works? plus will pull smell because it's sharing an airspace with the grow and isn't filtered? I'm just not seeing the benefit of having a duct blowing out stanky air vs people seeing an air conditioner.
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Not if done without a leak. If he gobs the mastic/duct seal at the joint heavy, its logical. Ive been contemplating the same procedure, just "braking" the heavy general without the proper tools could lead to it being out of square and not enough clearance for the hot air coming off thw coils. I wouldnt use cardboard!! I thought of using a rectangle tote with metal tape, wrap the outside with vapor barrier/poly, insulate, poly again, drill the vent in top using a hole saw qith a pilot bit, and another for your drain.
I have shakers stacked up from a hoarding family mwmber along with other building material.
2" rigid foam insulation, 4 × 8 is ~20$
Your bud,
Ty

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

ive read this thread dont no how many times trying to figure what your asking,take a pic of the building your gonna use,i might be able to help,with that keep in mind in the last 10 yrs the window units have a gas line in the bottom of the ac,water has to stay on this line,thats why they moved the drain hole to back and side of the ac,those louvers on the side has to stay open to also cool the compressor,with that the hot air coming out of the condenser on the back,if you resrtict that air flow your not gonna get much life from the unit,so build the box you speak of twice as long as your ac,funneling back and into a vent line going out,if your running that heat back into room your compressor will stay on and temp sensor will go awol on ya,a pic would help out alot here

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

If you live around people you think might rip you off, why are you growing in it?

If your legal and they rip you off, can they be charged if you choose to go that route? If so buy cameras....

I personlly dont like getting leo involved at all, fuck to the that!
Anyone ever setup a window unit AC inside without cutting a hole? I really don’t want to cut a hole and have it hanging out of my detached building. It’s legal here just don’t want the neighbors talking or get ripped off. Any suggestions will help.

Ryesty

Ryesty

If you live around people you think might rip you off, why are you growing in it?

If your legal and they rip you off, can they be charged if you choose to go that route? If so buy cameras....

I personlly dont like getting leo involved at all, fuck to the that!
I do have cameras and I live in a good area and I’m legal why temp somebody’s punk kid. Better safe then sorry. Who needs the hassle. Why would I disrespect the neighbors that have kids and don’t smoke. The list goes on. Building something out of insulation board that gets wet is rediculous. I’ll build it from sheet metal and follow the other 1000 people on here who have done it with success. I didn’t realize there was already extensive threads on this here already. Thanks for the input from those that do get it. If you don’t then I guess I don’t need your input.

Top Bottom