Container size to Start outdoor plants indoors

• Thread starter GrowerNewbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowerNewbie

GrowerNewbie

Hi! I am a first time grower. I plan on growing in containers outside but I think I have to begin germination of seeds inside about now.

I am in Ontario so a cooler climate. Before going outdoors I have to begin growing In Smaller containers indoors for a month or so is my understanding. My question is, they say to begin growing seeds in a “medium container” but I’m not sure how big of a container medium is considered to start them in.

also, once I germinate the seeds and put them on the firstcontainer, how deep I. The soil should I plant the seed?

my boyfriend had only grown from clones so he doesn’t know how to start from seed.

thanks so much for any advice!

Madmax

Madmax

I start my seedling in glass of warm water.within 6-24 hrs they will sink and crack open showing the white taproot.i then place the seed with shoot facing upwards but on a slight angle so it helps the taproot turn downward easier and plant say 7mm under the soil.make sure all soil is moist but not wet and keep them out of sunlight but in a warm area and after 2-3 days the seed will sprout..pot size start small in solo cup and after say a week you can up pot into a larger pot like a 1.5 litre..and can stay in that one for 3 weeks..depending if your using soil ,coco coir will determine how you will b watering .pic below is how the seed should b planted if you use this method..other guys will come forward with the other preferred method...hope this helps..
20210119 194809

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

The glass of water method is very effective with germinating seeds. If you are not as experienced with the standard wet paper towel method it is easy to let the roots grow too much and end up breaking some off when you pick them out to plant.

Madbud

Madbud

Solo cup about 3/4 full with a layer of small perlite at the bottom so she pops right out when you transplant. 3/4 full in case the seedling stretches, you can add soil to support her. Easy on water, maybe once/week when the cup feels light. I germinate right in the damp soil, just cover the cup tight with saran wrap and a rubber band and put in a warm dark place for 2-3 days.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Jiffy pots, or peat/coco starter plugs after 12 hr soak; 1gal 3-4wks five gal 3-4wks, final soil base is what i run but i do a three month inside veg, which you may do as well, whats your window for going outside?

quirk

quirk

If you're in Toronto, I'd start in 4-11 liter. If your in Thunder bay, 11-19 liter. That would be my strategy.

mashy

mashy

You can always start small and repot as required. Small pots to start with should help you from overwatering, and as long as you don't disturb the roots reporting doesn't cause much stress.

GrowerNewbie

GrowerNewbie

I start my seedling in glass of warm water.within 6-24 hrs they will sink and crack open showing the white taproot.i then place the seed with shoot facing upwards but on a slight angle so it helps the taproot turn downward easier and plant say 7mm under the soil.make sure all soil is moist but not wet and keep them out of sunlight but in a warm area and after 2-3 days the seed will sprout..pot size start small in solo cup and after say a week you can up pot into a larger pot like a 1.5 litre..and can stay in that one for 3 weeks..depending if your using soil ,coco coir will determine how you will b watering .pic below is how the seed should b planted if you use this method..other guys will come forward with the other preferred method...hope this helps..View attachment 1103424
I tried what you said and got the taproot. Planted into small container with damp soil and have a sprout! Thanks so much for your help
822FFD27 DC57 4A90 A54F 4513D7305A63

Madmax

Madmax

Thats great..Has she still got the helmut stuck on ? ..id put a little more media around ths plant..have you a spray bottle just to clean..if the shell is stuck on you could try sqirting it off but you just got to b careful..

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
looking good! your on your way to big adventure!

im new to this, so the only advice i would give is DONT OVER WATER!

what helped me was a member here suggested filling a similar container with the same soil and no seed, that way you know what no water feels like (so i keep a solo cup, a 1 gal and a 5 gal with just the dirt - those are the ones i use), then compare and when the plant one is as light weight as the other one, you water (i dont need them so much now, but it was a great learning tool. kudos to whomever suggested it!).

a caveat would be that as a seedling, it just needs to be moist all the time till it has healthy roots, then water normally. you can suffocate a baby by over watering, the water makes it so the baby roots cant "breathe". someone here can explain that better, or just google watering! that is one thing there is tons of info on, it seems to be the most common newbie problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom