Controlling Butane Temp

• Thread starter Rogue1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rogue1

Just a quick question to everyone, how do u keep butane cold when running from a tank? Should I just throw my distilled butane tank in a bucket full of dry ice? Or will a small condensing coil (jockey box coil) in a bowl of dry ice and alcohol bath, positioned before the extractor column, make the butane cold enough before hitting the material?

badger999

badger999

I have a Bhogart extractor, my material tube is 3" x 48" and it has a sleeve around the tube for dry ice. Actually I am waiting for a couple gaskets and clamps to make my first pull. I have a few questions before I do this. Is there another thread on this subject that you know of?

R

Rogue1

There are a few threads, rollitup, Reddit, IC Mag, and here are a few places that have dedicated forums for extractions. You can also try site like skunkpharm and hemphacker, which has tutorials on how to use the CLS. Other than that it's pretty much learn as u go.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Graywolf's design...
this one, I believe, is a triple core, 3 separate coils in one pot together, used for pre chilling solvent and cooling pump exhaust.

Heat exchanger interior 1 1
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Notice on these 2 examples that they both drain to the bottom, instead of looping back up, like some other companies offerings.... this is definitely the better design. I am in the process of having one made, using this coil. link

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Wrote a big thing on condenser coils, but I think @aSilvrHaze has it pretty covered. If your having trouble getting the last bit of solvent out of a tank, hot water on the side of your tank should do the trick. I use denatured alcohol for it's price. A jacketed column is also another good one for running as cold as possible. For sauce, both a jacketed column and the condenser coil are needed for quality. Anyways good luck.

R

Rogue1

Thanks for the reply @aSilvrHaze and @MirrorZen, seems like a condensing coil is the way most people get it done. That contraption by Graywolf's looks pretty cool, is it better to have the drain to the bottom just for the flow? Or can I get by with a design like this

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

The problem with those coils is when you're done with the run, there will still be solvent left in the coil that will have to be boiled off to recover instead of gravity draining it into the rest of the system , adding time to your overall length of run.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Hot water clears up coils and lines adding only seconds extra to a run, just sayin.

Top Bottom