Controlling stretchy plants indoors (this 5 word title deals a bummer)

• Thread starter Maxwax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maxwax

Maxwax

Im in germination phase with GG4 fem-photos and Im already concerning myself with stretch on this strain indoors.

I am using Happy Frog soil and will not add nutrients until flower other than Guano/Cal-Mag and Molasses and during flower Im going to limit N as best as I can.

Going to top-crop-and tie this girl down like crazy and keep lights as close to the plant as possible watching umols and heat/leaf temps etc.

Im also only going to veg for 4 weeks.

My light is broad spectrum LED 600 watts or so with moderate red spectrums I believe.

Any other tips/tricks to keeping these things manageble and as small as possible?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

LST techniques such as tying them down or using a net will lend well with you topping the plant. However, it's been my experience when topping that unless you allow time for vegetative regrowth after topping, it hurts the yield. Nothing wrong with the topping part. I'm not sure if 4 weeks is long enough to veg if topping is part of your routine.

I wouldn't lock myself into a set number of weeks before flipping. Instead, I would be looking at plant growth and deciding when to flip based on that.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My light is broad spectrum LED 600 watts or so with moderate red spectrums I believe.
You want to lean blue at this stage. Blue photons signal that the plant is in full sun, no need to put energy into height to find light. Red does the opposite. Red signals the plant is in shade (at this stage) and will push upwards growth.

If they are already too leggy, you can pile some more dirt around the base of the stem.

Maxwax

Maxwax

LST techniques such as tying them down or using a net will lend well with you topping the plant. However, it's been my experience when topping that unless you allow time for vegetative regrowth after topping, it hurts the yield. Nothing wrong with the topping part. I'm not sure if 4 weeks is long enough to veg if topping is part of your routine.

I wouldn't lock myself into a set number of weeks before flipping. Instead, I would be looking at plant growth and deciding when to flip based on that.
I agree with everything you said. Problem is Ive heard horror stories of GG4 quadrupling in size when flipped. But I agree there needs to be time for the plant to get its head together before the next move. I have two killer scrog net setups but am trying to avoid using them.

Maxwax

Maxwax

You want to lean blue at this stage. Blue photons signal that the plant is in full sun, no need to put energy into height to find light. Red does the opposite. Red signals the plant is in shade (at this stage) and will push upwards growth.

If they are already too leggy, you can pile some more dirt around the base of the stem.
Im in solo cups waiting for them to emerge still...and Im not sure exactly how much red spectrum my light has. Its an MH FC-E4800 So basically theres nothing I can do its not adjustable. Was just mentioning for reference and that it does matter to the plant.....good explanation on your part sealed the deal.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I agree with everything you said. Problem is Ive heard horror stories of GG4 quadrupling in size when flipped. But I agree there needs to be time for the plant to get its head together before the next move. I have two killer scrog net setups but am trying to avoid using them.
Your concerns are warranted. You can contain it's heights using a variety of techniques. However, GG4 produces large heavy yields and will need plant support. A scrog net (or even a pair of them) really is a good idea. However it does mean you can no longer move them around once woven into the nets. It's a good technique. Just not a perfect one.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Your concerns are warranted. You can contain it's heights using a variety of techniques. However, GG4 produces large heavy yields and will need plant support. A scrog net (or even a pair of them) really is a good idea. However it does mean you can no longer move them around once woven into the nets. It's a good technique. Just not a perfect one.
Oh I have two killer scrogs built out of half inch pvc whatever they are...3" and a 6" deal. I can install them anytime with zip ties and move them up or down as needed. Until I cant....lol Id almost prefer to use dowel rods and a bunch of pipe cleaners. But I built these things and have never used them yet so....eventually I will maybe this grow. Im also not terribly worried about yield. Im shooting for quality nugs.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Im in solo cups waiting for them to emerge still...and Im not sure exactly how much red spectrum my light has. Its an MH FC-E4800 So basically theres nothing I can do its not adjustable. Was just mentioning for reference and that it does matter to the plant.....good explanation on your part sealed the deal.
Since they are still in seedling stage, consider investing in some 5000k (Daylight white) LED shop lights. For early growth, they work very well at an affordable price. I have 3 of them zip-tied to a 2'x4' piece of pegboard in my veg tent. Of all I have tried, these seem the most well suited to inducing stocky plants.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Since they are still in seedling stage, consider investing in some 5000k (Daylight white) LED shop lights. For early growth, they work very well at an affordable price. I have 3 of them zip-tied to a 2'x4' piece of pegboard in my veg tent. Of all I have tried, these seem the most well suited to inducing stocky plants.

Yeah? Ill probably just roll as I am Im not looking to add anything but my first grow my training induced three bulky plants. Im also growing in a 39 x 39 tent I should add so bulk wont be a problem either...lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah? Ill probably just roll as I am Im not looking to add anything but my first grow my training induced three bulky plants. Im also growing in a 39 x 39 tent I should add so bulk wont be a problem either...lol
I hear you. Those lights would be a little long for your space. I use about half of a 5 x 5 for veg before moving to a larger tent for flowering. Rock on with what you have ... once you've been infected by the grow at home bug, you might add/upgrade your setup. (Trust me here, growing at home becomes an addicting passion.) A 39 x 39 limits you to 1-2 plants in my opinion although many people will try to cram more into the space. Good airflow is a requirement for healthy plants.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

I have found when you flip to flowering you can mess with temps and help with stretch. When the lights first come on after 12 hours off you want to lower the temp lower than when lights off temp is. So say 76 is your lights off temp then for the first 2-4 hours of lights on you want your temp lower than 76. This and making sure you have the correct dry back during the initial flipping to flower will all help with stretch and node spacing.

Top Bottom