Converting a shipping container to underground grow space

• Thread starter JustGrowWithIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I've got a 20ft unit which will be heavily braced on the inside with 4inch channel.
Entrance will be through a hatch in the ceiling.
Venting, plumbing, the works really.
I think by being in ground I'm going to really have great success at keeping temps and humidity in line. Unit will soon be ready. Completely waterproofed and I will have a concrete pad above it directing water away.
What are your thought?

Converting a shipping container to underground grow space
JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I love these. Don't fill it in yet.
If you run a 6 inch pipe that goes down next to it, you can get free A/C. Heat will not be a problem if you build it walipini style.
I'm assuming you are going to talk about natural aspiration? I thought about going that route but this room is going to be as hidden as possible. No one will know it's there when I'm done. I planned to run my 6" intake and discharge from opposite ends and run it to the house crawlspace.
Plans are only in my head right now but I can put it to paper tomorrow.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm assuming you are going to talk about natural aspiration? I thought about going that route but this room is going to be as hidden as possible. No one will know it's there when I'm done. I planned to run my 6" intake and discharge from opposite ends and run it to the house crawlspace.
Plans are only in my head right now but I can put it to paper tomorrow.
I've helped do a couple of these. You can have natural aspiration and still be hidden. Yeah, Let's see what you have in mind.
First thought is that the outside of the container is sealed really well. I would actually coat the entire container in truck bed liner to water proof it.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

I've helped do a couple of these. You can have natural aspiration and still be hidden. Yeah, Let's see what you have in mind.
First thought is that the outside of the container is sealed really well. I would actually coat the entire container in truck bed liner to water proof it.
I've seen some do that. I was going to use the tar used for foundations, personally. Read plenty of stuff supporting both directions.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I've seen some do that. I was going to use the tar used for foundations, personally. Read plenty of stuff supporting both directions.
Either way works, with the tar, it helps to spray the hole also after the container is in as you backfill.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

100% underground or do you want some free heat?
If you have a 10x10 20 feet long, and you have one half of the top with windows, the sun will heat it for free.
There is an LCD film you can put on the interior of the windows. When you want it blacked out, flip a switch and your windows go black.
No body sees in or out.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

That's gonna be a bad ass grow room. Really make sure it is 100% waterproof, water likes to find it's way in anywhere it can. Good luck!!

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
How about flexseal? lol

This tread is right up my alley, I was thinking the very same thing, actually. Maybe some 4-6 foot culvert on end so I can build a staircase going down.

I've got a backhoe, and a 40 foot nissan shipping container at the property I'd like3 to try something like this.
Looks like the one below. It's a big project no doubt, and I need to build a trailhead into there first.

I'm excited to see you do this. Walking that thing into the pit is going to be crazy.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flex+seal+max&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Storage shipping containers 500x500
Last edited:
JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

100% underground or do you want some free heat?
If you have a 10x10 20 feet long, and you have one half of the top with windows, the sun will heat it for free.
There is an LCD film you can put on the interior of the windows. When you want it blacked out, flip a switch and your windows go black.
No body sees in or out.
It will be 100% buried

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

How about flexseal? lol

This tread is right up my alley, I was thinking the very same thing, actually. Maybe some 4-6 foot culvert on end so I can build a staircase going down.

I've got a backhoe, and a 40 foot nissan shipping container at the property I'd like3 to try something like this.
Looks like the one below. It's a big project no doubt, and I need to build a trailhead into there first.

I'm excited to see you do this. Walking that thing into the pit is going to be crazy.
I've got a 10,000 lb telehandler for lowering it into my pit. Really I've got access to just about any machine I could ever need for this project. I'm chomping at the bit to get it in the ground but I've got delays for a couple weeks.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

How about flexseal? lol

Flexseal? You been watching too much late night TV.

JustGrowWithIt

JustGrowWithIt

Here is the skeleton of the unit. I am working on a birds eye view for sectioning off rooms.
The vertical 4" channel will be 5' on centers.
Its 4" channel at 5.4lbs per foot. Pretty heavy stuff.
Then running down the sides horizontally will also be the same channel.
Entrance hatch will be back right top of the unit with a ladder coming down.
More diagrams to come.
I am trying to decide if I want to do a major upgrade to a full LED setup.
Currently running 315CMH using Phantom Drivers and Philips bulbs.

Bunker
Top Bottom