Cooling a MPB Room

• Thread starter canaguy27
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

canaguy27

Setting up a small room within a room for a patient (8x10 sealed) with 4 plants and 5 1k hps lights. The lights WILL BE in cooltubes. Room will be sealed with c02 (tank), scrubber, fans, and dehumidifier.

What a/c would work for this room? Can a portable ac sit outside the room and be plugged into the room with tubes? How does it exhaust is really my main question?

Veg room will be in the same room, but on opposite side.

L

Lost

You could make do with 18000 k btus's but for the price dizzle is right, go 2 ton. A/c generally are closed systems, they don't make the outside smell, they cool the air in the room only.. They do not bring in outside air or vent inside air outside. You can use a window or mini split unit. Portables are horribly inefficient and too low BTU rating generally :)

C

canaguy27

Is a system that large needed when cool tubes are used on all lights? I thought the 4k per light was for exposed bulbs only.

S

Slr342

hey man I am in boulder area doing medical also.
Whatever works for you but personally I think running a AC is a huge waste.
I would use vented straight up cooltubes like you are thinking and see what the temp is. I bet you can keep it under 80 no problems.
That will be very interesting to see you use that much light in such a small area.
I am thinking of doing a 10x24 room:

PP
L
PP
L
PP
L
PP

And have 600w leds over the ends and maybe the others as well.
So maybe this is not enough light but every plant is getting a very good 2 sources of light. The top buds are the best but many of these systems dont grow them out since the light is directed on the sides.

THe 600w leds are like 2k HPS that produce no heat and are 3 inches think so they can be mounted flush with the cieling and the plants can grow right up into them 3 inches lower then running into the cieling!

I think 600w leds are the next step in producing even more given these advanced growing technique of these buckets.

S

Slr342

canaguy
I put some thought into it and I think I have an idea for your best possible system.
I would do an air cooled 1000w in the middle and then 1 600w LED above each plant.
The leds dont produce heat. You only use 3400 watts and barely produce any heat.
And you have alot more space for plants!

PP
L
PP

With 600w LEDS above each Plant

C

canaguy27

I have never tried the LED route or even done research on it. I just thought the tech wasn't quite there yet for it, but I'll look into it.

t.o.med

t.o.med

canaguy
I put some thought into it and I think I have an idea for your best possible system.
I would do an air cooled 1000w in the middle and then 1 600w LED above each plant.
The leds dont produce heat. You only use 3400 watts and barely produce any heat.
And you have alot more space for plants!

PP
L
PP

With 600w LEDS above each Plant

this is not an mpb room. you are not going to get the high yielding plants with a 600w led. your not going to get the huge yields with 600hps. this system is all about the vertical light not leds hanging overhead.

canaguy-if your cheap now youll pay for it later. if you cant afford the ac you cant wait till you crop and buy one. but if your room isnt right dont excpect to get anywhere near the numbers dd is pulling.this isnt a system about compromise.

squarepusher

squarepusher

isn't watt = heat?

So, 600W LED = 600W HPS = 600W CFL's = 600W HM in terms of heat output???

not sure on this, would like opinion.

t.o.med

t.o.med

watt-a unit of power equal to 1 joule per second; the power dissipated by a current of 1 ampere flowing across a resistance of 1 ohm .

watt doesnt equal heat. i have a 600w t5 i can put my hand on it i wouldnt do that with my 600 hps lol.

S

Slr342

This is the light I want

Now I have seen no tests with 600w leds but the 300w led old versions were outperforming 1000w hps on rollitup.

I have ordered a 600w LED and i will incorporate it into this system. I guarentee adding 600w LED on top of vertical hanging bulbs and these MPD buckets will be even huger yields...how could it not be? Did all of a sudden the only way to get lumens is from vertically hanging bulbs.

Like I said the top buds are known to be the best so they should be developed as such.

t.o.med

t.o.med

i would love to see a 300w led outperform a 1000w hps. id put all my lights up on craigslist for sale.if that was true nobody would be running 1000s anymore.

slr342 werent you saying to use a 600w led in place of a 1000w. vertical is the most efficient use of light.show me one pic of a led outperforming a 1000w.

53503CIMG4301
53503CIMG4349
53503CIMG43181
53503pp048
squarepusher

squarepusher

watt-a unit of power equal to 1 joule per second; the power dissipated by a current of 1 ampere flowing across a resistance of 1 ohm .

watt doesnt equal heat. i have a 600w t5 i can put my hand on it i wouldnt do that with my 600 hps lol.

thank you this answers my question

i would love to see a 300w led outperform a 1000w hps. id put all my lights up on craigslist for sale.if that was true nobody would be running 1000s anymore.

slr342 werent you saying to use a 600w led in place of a 1000w. vertical is the most efficient use of light.show me one pic of a led outperforming a 1000w.

hollly bejeezus :cool0041:

btw, t o med, i got something interesting brewing, not sure how it will turn out, but I think you may be interested. Will post thread here as soon as its running..

sedate

sedate

Did all of a sudden the only way to get lumens is from vertically hanging bulbs.

For med patients growing larger plants, vertical lighting provides substantially better growth throughout the entire plant. For smaller plants, or a SOG or SCROG, more traditional overhead lighting would be preferrable.

isn't watt = heat?

So, 600W LED = 600W HPS = 600W CFL's = 600W HM in terms of heat output???

not sure on this, would like opinion.

One of the biggest differences between the above bulbs is in the amount of heat they put out, with the LED being the coolest, then the CFL, then the HIDS.

The watt rating refers to the amount of light output from the bulb itself. The entire unit may take up considerably more energy, running ballast and accounting for losses and such.

This is what makes the LED so attractive - the 600w that go into the light fixture, actually comes out as 600w of light, as oppsed to 600w of light and prodigous amounts of heat that require massive air moving equipment to deal with.

TO said:
i would love to see a 300w led outperform a 1000w hps. id put all my lights up on craigslist for sale.if that was true nobody would be running 1000s anymore

This is completly wrong.

People still run HPS's because an equivalent amount of light coming from an LED would be prohibitively expensive.

Everyone will be growing with LED's in 10 or 15 years time.

The thing I find curious about slr's comments isn't his inaccuracy, it is his total lack of cost awareness.

I get about $1500 - $2500 per 600w panel. And spectrums/quality vary considerably in this arena. For quality grow LED's with the right spectral balance, expect the high end of that spectrum.

Running a dozen or so 600w LED's would cost well north of $20,000 - maybe close to $30,000 or $35,000. That's real money, even for prodigious pot farmer.

Running a dozen 1000w HPS's might cost $4000 or $5000, after cooling and duct work and shit.

That's why people use HPS's TO.

We can build cars that go 400 miles on a battery charge or a tank of compressed air, why are all we still driving around using gasoline?

northone said:
Please go for it and get back to us..

Okay.
Turn your speakers DOWN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfm7XSxVPs

Note the nearly 1gram/1watt harvest ratio with no fucking hoods and ducts and $250 fans the size of wedding cakes and shit.

LED's are the future off all lighting, the world over. From street lamps to desk lamps to indoor marijuana production.

sedate

sedate

northone said:
i see a "decent" yield for 600w

Are you kidding? For a KISS overhead-lit soil grow like that? "Decent"? 9/10 of a gram/watt?

For the "additional factors" in this grow (that being that it's simple), that's excellent.

Eitherway, the point remains. LED's produce identical or superior results, watt rating-for-watt rating than HID's. They do so with almost no heat at all - so many of the other problems with indoor growing - primarily ventilation - is abated.

northone said:
The quality appears to be[ just] "ok" but it depends on many other factors of the environment....

Right because you can sample quality from a streamed 480x320 YouTube clip.

Some of the mmj print publications around Denver have had articles about the proliferation of LED's in the Cali medical scene - from what I've read people using them rave about the bud quality compared to traditional HIDs.

Oaksterdam does a course of them.

C

canaguy27

canaguy-if your cheap now youll pay for it later. if you cant afford the ac you cant wait till you crop and buy one. but if your room isnt right dont excpect to get anywhere near the numbers dd is pulling.this isnt a system about compromise.

I don't have to go cheap. In dds rooms, most bulbs are exposed. That is why so much ac is needed. With all of the lights in cooltubes, wouldn't it be logical to assume that less ac is needed. That is what I am getting at.

Please stop hijacking the thread with LED stuff. Start yer own thread.:cool0041:

O

OregonMeds

Less a/c sure, but don't even think about no a/c and sealed. There is still radiated heat the cooltubes just can't stop. As long as light gets out so does heat.

And don't short yourself for those hot summer days/nights... Even with no heat from any lights there is a certain size you need for a given space. I would think at best the least you'd get by on would be a 10-12kbtu window unit if you aren't in a hot climate.

Portables you would have to have two hose versions with even more btu's or they can't even compare to the worst window units. Single hose portables wouldn't work, they don't allow a sealed room, they vent all the air.

L

Lost

Thread sidetracked.

This is a MPB growing thread and thus the advice will be towards building a successful MPB setup.

Personally i'm switching over to 1500 HPS's myself. You have the see the size to believe it (only 3 weeks in!!!). If one day you are going 1500's you will need extra a/c.

Also unless you have alot of room, cooltubes get in the way. That right there is one reason not to run them. And the a/c will be on anyway, so instead of buying thousands of dollars on cooltubes, you could just get a bigger a/c :)

O

OregonMeds

There is a minimum for success I give you that but how is someone not having the same money as you qualify as sidetracked? Directly on topic, you were just being elitist.

No shortage of snobbery around here, especially with this bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom