Coral as a PH Buffer in UC hydro?

• Thread starter Baddog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Baddog

Im a converted outdoor dirt farmer:) and have only been growing in RDWC for about 6 mo with a diy UC set up ( soon to be a actual UC ). This buddy that got me started uses coral to control his PH swing. Ive done a bit of research and cant find info anywhere except fish tanks! I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with this in RDWC systems?

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Neat idea. I'd say something is wrong if you see pH swings in the UC though. I've gone 6 weeks without an adjustment with DM Gold.

convex

convex

Skeletal coral is basically calcium carbonate, so I imagine it could be used to adjust pH.
I would assume he is using processed, food grade and not raw chunks from the beach.

I would be curious about the dosing amounts used, if you find out be sure to let us know.

Cheers

B

Baddog

Lol He doesn't measure shit just hucks a few hand fulls in a nylon and puts it it the control ( epicenter ) tote! But it dose seam to stabilize his ph using supernatural nutes. sort of draws a line that the ph wont cross if it goes to high he just takes a bitt out till it gets to the 5.8 range. Its coral from the pet store for aquariums! He used to breed fish and thats what they do to stabalize there ph!

deacon1503

deacon1503

someone suggested to me that we (UC users) should put pea gravel in the bottom of the buckets for a place for the good algae to live, and not be cencentrated in the root zone. similar to fish thanks that should be let to sit for while for the tank to reach homeostasis before fish are added. ??

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ever get a rock stuck near your pump

lol

B

Baddog

Ya I tried it! Didnt seam to do any thing bad! I was using supernatural brand nutes ( Never again I might add) and when I put in the super boost and blast the PH Dropped steadily over a few days from 6 to 4.8 so I tried the coral and was able to raise to 5.4 and finish out the run! In the future I am going to just use better nutes lol Going to give DM a Go!

Top Bottom