Correct LED lighting for autoflower plants

• Thread starter NDfarmboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NDfarmboy

I've been growing for some time now, but using only the photoperiod varieties. I would like to include some autoflowering grows but unsure about the best lighting. It seems full spectrum LED lighting is generally recommended. But, I am unsure about the correct intensity, etc. I have a 4 X 4 X 7' hight grow room with air filtration running through an HPS closed canopy. Normally I grow two plants within the enclosure. So, I can re-route the air filtration but I need to get a fix on the physical size and wattage needed for my room. Any suggestions (including a manufacturer) would really be helpful.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Rule of thumb is 35 watts per sq ft. Tent that size should take 600 watts. Several on the market that will fit that requirement. There is nothing special about LED and auto flower plant. They just don’t need a 12/12 photo period to flower. Most folks set their light cycle to 18/6 for the entire duration of the grow.

Reactions: PK1
N

NDfarmboy

That's good information. I appreciate it. I understand the auto flowers will grow under most any light spectrum but do better with "full" spectrum. Is that right? Would be curious to know if anyone has had success with HPS or metal hallide for the autos??

freezeland2

freezeland2

That's good information. I appreciate it. I understand the auto flowers will grow under most any light spectrum but do better with "full" spectrum. Is that right? Would be curious to know if anyone has had success with HPS or metal hallide for the autos??
They grow just fine under MH & HPS. MH for veg and HPS to flower. A lot of folks also just run HPS start to finish.

sambapati

sambapati

Am currently growing an auto flower with a Mars Hydro T1000 augmented with blurrple lights, CFLs and Red Led strips and have just added a 40 watt 36" T12 G13 (Big Tube) blacklight to fight back against mold and increase trichome density (some believe others not so much). Planning on running the light 4 hours daily. Maybe early in the cycle but I want the mold protection and will monitor the plants.

11Ron11

11Ron11

Am currently growing an auto flower with a Mars Hydro T1000 augmented with blurrple lights, CFLs and Red Led strips and have just added a 40 watt 36" T12 G13 (Big Tube) blacklight to fight back against mold and increase trichome density (some believe others not so much). Planning on running the light 4 hours daily. Maybe early in the cycle but I want the mold protection and will monitor the plants.
I'm new too but I would turn up the exhaust and lower the humidity.
Water with peroxide mix and spray the buds.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I've been growing for some time now, but using only the photoperiod varieties. I would like to include some autoflowering grows but unsure about the best lighting. It seems full spectrum LED lighting is generally recommended. But, I am unsure about the correct intensity, etc. I have a 4 X 4 X 7' hight grow room with air filtration running through an HPS closed canopy. Normally I grow two plants within the enclosure. So, I can re-route the air filtration but I need to get a fix on the physical size and wattage needed for my room. Any suggestions (including a manufacturer) would really be helpful.
I’m an old outdoor guy from yrs ago and just jumped back into growing. Learning the indoor grow and wrapping my arms around autoflowers has been a fun process. I’m kinda forced to grow autos right now because the 12 hr light deprivation would be a challenge with my setup. With autos a break in the dark period doesn’t affect them. I am trying to remedy this and eventually grow photos.
Anyway, u might consider running another plant or 2 (or 3) more than your normal number. I don’t know how long u normally vegged or how big your plants ended up….but the one thing I can tell u about autos is there’s still a wide spectrum of genetics out there and u could very well start a seed, having everything go perfectly, and end up with a 16-18” plant. I’m growing 3 autos under a HLG 320w LED and it’s a great light. I am growing on a 18/6 light schedule (not that it matters) and one started flowering around day 26 and the other 2 not long after. So I was worried I would have no yield with such small plants. Luckily things went ok and my light is more than enough for those 3 plants. They stretched and ended up only 22” but have fat buds that are rock hard….but there was no way to get them any bigger.
I’ve seen guys get big yields from autos so it can be done……but don’t be surprised if they start flowering a lot earlier than you’d prefer. And do not believe a breeder’s timeline concerning finish time. My seeds said 9-10 weeks seed to harvest and I’m just passing week 16. Most grows chopped after 9 or 10 weeks are immature and not ripe. Fully expect another 3 weeks minimum.
The quality of the bud is no different, at least in my case and some other grows I’ve witnessed. Good luck.

Top Bottom