Couple of questions for outdoor grow

• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

Even though spring is 4ish months away, I want to start planning an outside grow and have some questions.

First, my setup outside is a greenhouse (built a month and a half ago), and a back deck that gets tons of sunlight, plus a fairly open backyard with a few newly planted fruit trees.

Now, on the side of my house, I have a motion light that does somewhat shine into the greenhouse, but not too much. I'm outside all day and night (I smoke out in the shed, which the greenhouse is actually attached to).

If I grow in the greenhouse, will those lights affect photoperiod plants? The lights are aimed down toward the ground, so it's mainly just radiant light that gets in there, but regardless, it does happen. I wouldn't think it'll matter for auto's at all, so maybe I'll just stick to auto's in the greenhouse.

In the backyard, there's plenty of spots that the motion lights won't hit, though the deck does get about 30-40% illuminated (albeit very dimly), so putting photoperiods on there likely would be a bad idea.

I suppose I could just shut off the lights and use a headlamp w/ green lighting so it doesn't affect the plants when I go out there at night.

Next question: pot size vs planting in the ground.

I know there's benefits to growing in pots, such as mobility and being able to relocate the plants at any time. What is a good size for an outdoor plant? Is it still recommended to use 3 gallon planters for autos even outdoor?

Do pests have a higher likelihood when planted directly in the ground, or is it about the same since it's all outdoors anyway?

In pots, when it rains, should those be covered/moved, or just let the rain do its thing?

With the outdoor climate being uncontrollable, how do you mitigate chances of molding during those wildly humid and hot days that get well into the 95F+ days/weeks/month?

Is there anything else I should know about before doing an outdoor grow?

Thanks!

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Even though spring is 4ish months away, I want to start planning an outside grow and have some questions.

First, my setup outside is a greenhouse (built a month and a half ago), and a back deck that gets tons of sunlight, plus a fairly open backyard with a few newly planted fruit trees.

Now, on the side of my house, I have a motion light that does somewhat shine into the greenhouse, but not too much. I'm outside all day and night (I smoke out in the shed, which the greenhouse is actually attached to).

If I grow in the greenhouse, will those lights affect photoperiod plants? The lights are aimed down toward the ground, so it's mainly just radiant light that gets in there, but regardless, it does happen. I wouldn't think it'll matter for auto's at all, so maybe I'll just stick to auto's in the greenhouse.

In the backyard, there's plenty of spots that the motion lights won't hit, though the deck does get about 30-40% illuminated (albeit very dimly), so putting photoperiods on there likely would be a bad idea.

I suppose I could just shut off the lights and use a headlamp w/ green lighting so it doesn't affect the plants when I go out there at night.

Next question: pot size vs planting in the ground.

I know there's benefits to growing in pots, such as mobility and being able to relocate the plants at any time. What is a good size for an outdoor plant? Is it still recommended to use 3 gallon planters for autos even outdoor?

Do pests have a higher likelihood when planted directly in the ground, or is it about the same since it's all outdoors anyway?

In pots, when it rains, should those be covered/moved, or just let the rain do its thing?

With the outdoor climate being uncontrollable, how do you mitigate chances of molding during those wildly humid and hot days that get well into the 95F+ days/weeks/month?

Is there anything else I should know about before doing an outdoor grow?

Thanks!
I have a yard light thats on at night near the plants but not directly on them and they flower normally,it isn't just the cycle that controls flowering,nature tells them as well in the big picture.Growing in the ground is better,the pots can get warm and the soil won't be and the roots grow better if the soil is loamy and provides a much better anchor ..The benefit to pots will be the ability to move them out of shitty weather and I do both and can flower the pots bringing them in daily earlier in the season so I get full sun and always finishes,etc but there are cons as well.Rain wont hurt the potted plants unless it's too often but will flush nutrients.Pests will go to pots more,in my experience,like a puppy who goes after the new thing or out of place thing,you can decrease the chance of mold by strain selection picking plnts with more distance between internodes and less leaf like early sativas. if you are intent on pots for whatever reason, you candig a hole and set them in the hole to keep them cool. Best of luck.

TSD

TSD

"If I grow in the greenhouse, will those lights affect photoperiod plants? The lights are aimed down toward the ground, so it's mainly just radiant light that gets in there, but regardless, it does happen. I wouldn't think it'll matter for auto's at all, so maybe I'll just stick to auto's in the greenhouse."

Maybe... hard to say... how much abuse they can take before they hermie is largely genetic. Is it worth risking it though? Can you rig up some shades for the sides that get hit, that you can roll up in the morning... like the bamboo ones or something that blocks light well?

"Next question: pot size vs planting in the ground.

I know there's benefits to growing in pots, such as mobility and being able to relocate the plants at any time. What is a good size for an outdoor plant? Is it still recommended to use 3 gallon planters for autos even outdoor?"

Well, the smaller the pot, the faster they dry out and the more often you need to water. It also effects how big they will get, so if size is a concern, keep it smaller, I personally wouldn't go smaller than 5 gallons. If you plant in ground, roots are unrestricted and if you love them well, you may end up with trees. I have never grown an auto so I'm no help there.

"Do pests have a higher likelihood when planted directly in the ground, or is it about the same since it's all outdoors anyway?"

If you're outside, there will be pests regardless... what's in the ground is a bit of a mystery, could be a beautiful microbiome with tons of beneficial microorganisms, could be full of shit that wants to eat your shit lol. You can add beneficial mycos and nematodes to fight the baddies... are you doing organic or traditional nutes? If you're mixing or amending your soil, allow time for it to "cook" I usually do my holes as soon as the ground thaws. I start in early March and put them out late May or Early June. My biggest advice on pests, is they're way easier to deter than eradicate once they move in. I spray Lost Coast Plant Therapy as a preventative all throughout veg and spot treat during early flower. I use DE and crushed eggshells to deter crawlers and slugs. I also have a ton of companion plants that various shit doesn't like, lavender, chamomile, nasturtium, oregano, various mints, rosemary, basil.

"In pots, when it rains, should those be covered/moved, or just let the rain do its thing?"

Covering can keep moisture in and actually invite mold without proper air circulation, if they're super overwaterd maybe move or cover carefully, otherwise let it ride.

"With the outdoor climate being uncontrollable, how do you mitigate chances of molding during those wildly humid and hot days that get well into the 95F+ days/weeks/month?"

You don't lol. Mold isn't such an issue when it's hot, it's when it's cold and wet you need to really worry. Not sure where you're located, but I have hot sometimes humid summers and cold damp falls. Come fall when flower is in full gear and temps drop, I'm out there with my leaf blower every morning drying them off.

You should know that you'll likely be battling something constantly and it's more work to get a good final product than indoor, but if you manage, it's oh so tasty. 😊 Also, don't put them out too early or they can get confused and reveg. Usually by the end of May here, there's almost 16 hours of light.

TSD

TSD

Also, I did an outdoor scrog this year, and it made life easier. I think it helped a lot with airflow, I had almost no issues with mold on my scrogged plants and they're much easier to tend. If you have the ability to do it, I recommend it.

E

elusiveshame

I have a yard light thats on at night near the plants but not directly on them and they flower normally,it isn't just the cycle that controls flowering,nature tells them as well in the big picture.Growing in the ground is better,the pots can get warm and the soil won't be and the roots grow better if the soil is loamy and provides a much better anchor ..The benefit to pots will be the ability to move them out of shitty weather and I do both and can flower the pots bringing them in daily earlier in the season so I get full sun and always finishes,etc but there are cons as well.Rain wont hurt the potted plants unless it's too often but will flush nutrients.Pests will go to pots more,in my experience,like a puppy who goes after the new thing or out of place thing,you can decrease the chance of mold by strain selection picking plnts with more distance between internodes and less leaf like early sativas. if you are intent on pots for whatever reason, you candig a hole and set them in the hole to keep them cool. Best of luck.

Never even thought of digging a hole to place the pot. Now that's an idea!

Maybe... hard to say... how much abuse they can take before they hermie is largely genetic. Is it worth risking it though? Can you rig up some shades for the sides that get hit, that you can roll up in the morning... like the bamboo ones or something that blocks light well?

I should be able to rig something up inside, like a tarp or something. I could also just shut off the motion lights when I go out. Since I just found a male in my tent, I guess I can do some experimenting with it and the lights over the next few weeks to see if there's any effects on it.

If you're outside, there will be pests regardless... what's in the ground is a bit of a mystery, could be a beautiful microbiome with tons of beneficial microorganisms, could be full of shit that wants to eat your shit lol. You can add beneficial mycos and nematodes to fight the baddies... are you doing organic or traditional nutes? If you're mixing or amending your soil, allow time for it to "cook" I usually do my holes as soon as the ground thaws. I start in early March and put them out late May or Early June. My biggest advice on pests, is they're way easier to deter than eradicate once they move in. I spray Lost Coast Plant Therapy as a preventative all throughout veg and spot treat during early flower. I use DE and crushed eggshells to deter crawlers and slugs. I also have a ton of companion plants that various shit doesn't like, lavender, chamomile, nasturtium, oregano, various mints, rosemary, basil.

Good tips on the companion plants. Right now I just have potting mix from the store, but for my outdoor grows, I'll be making my own mixture (compost, coco coir, perlite, dolemite lime mixture) for the pots and flower beds. Currently for nutrients, I'm using Foxfarms Big Grow, Big Bloom, and Tiger, and Orca for the myco, so I'd likely be using that for the outdoor plants as well.

When does flowering outdoors typically begin? August? I believe sativas are tough to grow here due to their longer flowering time (at least outdoors). Our first frost this year was October 8th or 11th, so that really leaves end of March to October (6 solid months) of warm enough weather. My thought was to sow the seeds beginning of March inside, move to the greenhouse mid/end of March, then plant in ground by mid April.

Mold isn't such an issue when it's hot, it's when it's cold and wet you need to really worry. Not sure where you're located, but I have hot sometimes humid summers and cold damp falls. Come fall when flower is in full gear and temps drop, I'm out there with my leaf blower every morning drying them off.

Ah okay. I'm in New England nearish the coastline, so we get hot and humid summers and warm to cold damp falls as well.

Also, I did an outdoor scrog this year, and it made life easier. I think it helped a lot with airflow, I had almost no issues with mold on my scrogged plants and they're much easier to tend. If you have the ability to do it, I recommend it.

I did see a video with Kyle Kushman where one of his friends built a scrogg pot (basically a tote with some PVC piping + wire fencing attached to the tote), so I was thinking of something like that as well.

TSD

TSD

"Never even thought of digging a hole to place the pot. Now that's an idea!"

I did that this year with a few of mine to keep the size in check.

"My thought was to sow the seeds beginning of March inside, move to the greenhouse mid/end of March, then plant in ground by mid April."

You need to look up the hours of light for your area... it's not only about temps. I'd say you're the same as me or pretty close and there's not enough light in April, you'll risk a reveg going out that early. You will also need to harden your plants to handle the sun slowly or they risk shock/burn. I start in partial shade and work up to full sun, starting with only an hour or so. That's what I do while I'm waiting for the planet to rotate and daylight to increase lol.

TSD

TSD

"When does flowering outdoors typically begin? August? I believe sativas are tough to grow here due to their longer flowering time (at least outdoors). Our first frost this year was October 8th or 11th, so that really leaves end of March to October"

Typically around the summer solstice, which is the longest day of the year, the plants will know the days are shortening and go into flower. It's the 21st of June next year. Sativas are difficult to finish in the Northeast for sure. I just harvested my Amnesia Lemon last week, she was Sativa dominant. Full on Sativas, forget it lol. I covered my ladies for several frosts and a stretch of rain... like I said, it's more work.
20221026 114347

E

elusiveshame

You need to look up the hours of light for your area... it's not only about temps. I'd say you're the same as me or pretty close and there's not enough light in April, you'll risk a reveg going out that early. You will also need to harden your plants to handle the sun slowly or they risk shock/burn. I start in partial shade and work up to full sun, starting with only an hour or so. That's what I do while I'm waiting for the planet to rotate and daylight to increase lol.

I'm thinking that I'm going to stick to auto's outside and photos (and occasionally autos) inside. I want to get as much as I can with outdoor/autos as possible. Autos don't reveg, right? I know that you'll need/want more sunlight to get bigger yields, but I plan on starting with autos ASAP and growing them outdoors until it gets cold out again. I still have some research to do on auto's, though.

"When does flowering outdoors typically begin? August? I believe sativas are tough to grow here due to their longer flowering time (at least outdoors). Our first frost this year was October 8th or 11th, so that really leaves end of March to October"

Typically around the summer solstice, which is the longest day of the year, the plants will know the days are shortening and go into flower. It's the 21st of June next year. Sativas are difficult to finish in the Northeast for sure. I just harvested my Amnesia Lemon last week, she was Sativa dominant. Full on Sativas, forget it lol. I covered my ladies for several frosts and a stretch of rain... like I said, it's more work.View attachment 1299146

Ah okay.

Damn, that is one sexy plant. How big did she end up and how much were you able to harvest? 🤤

TSD

TSD

I'm thinking that I'm going to stick to auto's outside and photos (and occasionally autos) inside. I want to get as much as I can with outdoor/autos as possible. Autos don't reveg, right? I know that you'll need/want more sunlight to get bigger yields, but I plan on starting with autos ASAP and growing them outdoors until it gets cold out again. I still have some research to do on auto's, though.

Ah okay.

Damn, that is one sexy plant. How big did she end up and how much were you able to harvest? 🤤
I haven't weighed that one yet, but I'm guessing around a pound.... but my Black Cherry Punch was 30 oz.
20221008 120021

If you're doing autos in the Northeast, don't expect a big yield per plant ... they just don't have enough light.. but like I said, I've never grown one. I have a diary of this year's grow and all my missteps lol... I'm pretty experienced, but still fuck up and learn every year.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Typically around the summer solstice, which is the longest day of the year, the plants will know the days are shortening and go into flower. It's the 21st of June next year. Sativas are difficult to finish in the Northeast for sure. I just harvested my Amnesia Lemon last week, she was Sativa dominant. Full on Sativas, forget it lol. I covered my ladies for several frosts and a stretch of rain... like I said, it's more work.View attachment 1299146
I start them inside early and let them go till they mature and show sex,i got up to 24 hrs light then when i put them in the outdoor cycle drop makes them start to flower,some strains will stay in flower and continue to flower all summer ,either way it builds up the flowering hormone and they start to flower earlier,that went to flower in mid June and continued .

20221006 173259
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Light attracts Moths. Moths equal caterpillars. Any ambient light in the vicinity of the grow at night is too much. In my opinion. You only want the stars and the moon or as closest possible to it.

TSD

TSD

I start them inside early and let them go till they mature and show sex,i got up to 24 hrs light then when i put them in the outdoor cycle drop makes them start to flower,some strains will stay in flower and continue to flower all summer ,either way it builds up the flowering hormone and they start to flower earlier,that went to flower in mid June and continued .
Glad that worked for you, I'd be too afraid to make it hermie or reveg... plus I was trying to stay incognito this year and not grow trees lol.

trt92

trt92

I got some questions on outdoor grow, tried to make my own forum but it wouldnt let me somehow,,, somethong about invalid title.. So il just ask here.

I just ordered a growtent setup where i plan to grow some cannabis but also some bansai fruit trees.

Some of my plants are autoflowering northern lights, and its some of these i wanna try put outdoor when spring starts, after ive had them in veg in grow tent.
So how should i do it? I tried it once with some small plants from some seeds i got from bad imported brick weed, planted it just in the ground on a hillside, so it wasnt much good earth for it i gues.
This time i got autoflowers and some more resistant plants for this cold scandinavian country. Im thinking of digging some holes in tje ground, put down some soil, put the plant there and put over some more soil. And try to find a bit open area where they get sun from morning till sun goes down.. Still gonna have to be a discre place, so probably in some forrest. And i probably will need some fertelizing? Im thinking slow acting fertelizing i can just give them and leave plants alone intill their finished. Dont think about watering, it rains alot here.

Also i bought seeds for some bansai fruit trees, and some special strawberry tree i found, il veg these in my grow tent intill spring then il just put them in pots or a boxed in area with soil in outside in my garden while its summer. Do these plants need kind of same nutrients like the cannabis?

H

HerbGardner

I got some questions on outdoor grow, tried to make my own forum but it wouldnt let me somehow,,, somethong about invalid title.. So il just ask here.

I just ordered a growtent setup where i plan to grow some cannabis but also some bansai fruit trees.

Some of my plants are autoflowering northern lights, and its some of these i wanna try put outdoor when spring starts, after ive had them in veg in grow tent.
So how should i do it? I tried it once with some small plants from some seeds i got from bad imported brick weed, planted it just in the ground on a hillside, so it wasnt much good earth for it i gues.
This time i got autoflowers and some more resistant plants for this cold scandinavian country. Im thinking of digging some holes in tje ground, put down some soil, put the plant there and put over some more soil. And try to find a bit open area where they get sun from morning till sun goes down.. Still gonna have to be a discre place, so probably in some forrest. And i probably will need some fertelizing? Im thinking slow acting fertelizing i can just give them and leave plants alone intill their finished. Dont think about watering, it rains alot here.

Also i bought seeds for some bansai fruit trees, and some special strawberry tree i found, il veg these in my grow tent intill spring then il just put them in pots or a boxed in area with soil in outside in my garden while its summer. Do these plants need kind of same nutrients like the cannabis?
Sounds like you've got a while before they need to go outdoors so you've got time to prepare your spot. Ideally you'll want somewhere that similar (tall annual) weeds grow naturally. This means ganja will like it too and similar looking weeds provide a bit of cover.

Digging holes is ok, but if the surrounding soil isn't suitable, you are growing in the equivalent of pots. Dig your hole as big as possible to add air pockets to the soil. While you're there mix in a bag of compost and cover dead leaves or whatever is around for mulch. You only need a 5-10cm layer so don't overdo it.

The mulch will hold back some weeds and hide your tracks a little, and the compost not only greatly helps get water to the plant but provides all the nutrients you'll need until harvest. You can always put more compost on top (top dress) if it seems like you need more fertiliser.

You should start preparing soon (unless you're still frozen) so microbial life has time to find a balance and the soil matures.

Ideally you'll want the surrounding soil to have good drainage. Two easy ways to test are wetting the soil and rolling it in a ball in your hands - if it looks like clay you probably have poor drainage.

You can tell for sure by digging a hole, filling it with water, letting it drain, filling it again and timing how long it takes to drain. This is as simple as coming back an hour later. If most of the water is still there, find a different spot.

https://toptillers.com/soil-quality/ explains it better.

Companion plants do a lot to keep away bugs so I recommend planting some kind of citronella producing plant around your girls. Stuff like basil, coriander and chilli are even better, but it makes your spot look like a garden and attracts attention. Since it's colder there, throw in some garlic bulbs between your plants. Even when they aren't above the soil they are excellent at stopping bad fungus reaching your plants.

Autos can be unforgiving but they are designed for your midnight sun, I'd get one with a longer veg time so you can afford to make mistakes.

Another thing to think about is water - once they get big they get thirsty. Will you habe to carry it from home in a backpack or is there a stream nearby?

trt92

trt92

Sounds like you've got a while before they need to go outdoors so you've got time to prepare your spot. Ideally you'll want somewhere that similar (tall annual) weeds grow naturally. This means ganja will like it too and similar looking weeds provide a bit of cover.

Digging holes is ok, but if the surrounding soil isn't suitable, you are growing in the equivalent of pots. Dig your hole as big as possible to add air pockets to the soil. While you're there mix in a bag of compost and cover dead leaves or whatever is around for mulch. You only need a 5-10cm layer so don't overdo it.

The mulch will hold back some weeds and hide your tracks a little, and the compost not only greatly helps get water to the plant but provides all the nutrients you'll need until harvest. You can always put more compost on top (top dress) if it seems like you need more fertiliser.

You should start preparing soon (unless you're still frozen) so microbial life has time to find a balance and the soil matures.

Ideally you'll want the surrounding soil to have good drainage. Two easy ways to test are wetting the soil and rolling it in a ball in your hands - if it looks like clay you probably have poor drainage.

You can tell for sure by digging a hole, filling it with water, letting it drain, filling it again and timing how long it takes to drain. This is as simple as coming back an hour later. If most of the water is still there, find a different spot.

https://toptillers.com/soil-quality/ explains it better.

Companion plants do a lot to keep away bugs so I recommend planting some kind of citronella producing plant around your girls. Stuff like basil, coriander and chilli are even better, but it makes your spot look like a garden and attracts attention. Since it's colder there, throw in some garlic bulbs between your plants. Even when they aren't above the soil they are excellent at stopping bad fungus reaching your plants.

Autos can be unforgiving but they are designed for your midnight sun, I'd get one with a longer veg time so you can afford to make mistakes.

Another thing to think about is water - once they get big they get thirsty. Will you habe to carry it from home in a backpack or is there a stream nearby?

It rains like every 3 day in norway so i dont think il have to water them, but yea it could be a whole week or maybe more without rain once pr summer here.
Btw what do you mean by midnight sun with the autos? I live south in norway so we dont have sun 24 hours like in the upper north

Last edited:
H

HerbGardner

It rains like every 3 day in norway so i dont think il have to water them, but yea it could be a whole week or maybe more without rain once pr summer here.
Btw what do you mean by midnight sun with the autos? I live south in norway so we dont have sun 24 hours like in the upper north
Sounds like all you need for a guerilla grow. Keep us posted!

trt92

trt92

Should i peel the garlic bulbs before i lay them between the plants?

Top Bottom