Crazy growing method need insight on it.

• Thread starter Kdot57
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kdot57

So I wanna try a wild idea and I’m mainly looking for insight on to my idea. So my idea is to take a 2x4 grow tent and put in a 2x3 garden bed … (will provide a picture of what I plan on using)… I will plant two seeds … ( same strain so not to try and have any separate deficiencies arising)… about 1.5 feet away from each other it will hold 45 gallons. Just looking to see if this just a silly idea and possible cons to it.

Crazy growing method need insight on it
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I know a grower who uses those big, plastic storage containers you can get at Lowe's, HD, Walmart, etc. He'd have several in a tent and plant multiple plants in each.

This is a cloth-sided version of what he does. I'm sure it can work.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I've done this. Mine was 3'w x 6'l x 2'h and I grew 8 plants in it for two grows. I can't remember how much soil was in it. But I do remember it was a pickup bed full of bags of Roots Original that cost me close to $300 at the time. I also turned loose around 1000 red wiggler worms in there and used dry nutes. I ran mine as if it was a chunck of Earth, not a container for plants, so I made sure my soil could be reused by not loading it up on salts.
Underneath it I had a tarp taped to the walls so watering the bed wouldn't damage the floor underneath.

After two grows I decided to not grow that way anymore and moved it outside to grow veggies. It lasted another few seasons before the fabric was worn out and all the plastic poles bent and warped. I still have all the unique T connectors though just in case I want to use them to make a small greenhouse or something.

Pro: Every square inch of footprint is room to roam for roots. If you believe in unrestricted root zones, it delivers that. However, that does nothing to improve yield or quality.

Con: Expensive to load, hard to keep consistent moisture, gas guzzler on water, hard to remove everything for a deep clean in between grows.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So I wanna try a wild idea and I’m mainly looking for insight on to my idea. So my idea is to take a 2x4 grow tent and put in a 2x3 garden bed … (will provide a picture of what I plan on using)… I will plant two seeds … ( same strain so not to try and have any separate deficiencies arising)… about 1.5 feet away from each other it will hold 45 gallons. Just looking to see if this just a silly idea and possible cons to it.
My 2 bits is...WAY TOO MUCH soil......I'm successful in 3 gallon pots, I found 5 gallon too big for my needs, I'll put 4 in a 3x3 & 8 in a 5x5...That much soil will cause you humidity issues and dry back problems....Cannabis like a wet dry cycle where we saturate the soil then let it dry then saturate then let dry ect. in 40 gallons in a tent....That's not going to be an easy task,the plants will never use all that soil.....imho

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I think my wife would like for outside gardening though,

2Bad

2Bad

I've done this. Mine was 3'w x 6'l x 2'h and I grew 8 plants in it for two grows. I can't remember how much soil was in it. But I do remember it was a pickup bed full of bags of Roots Original that cost me close to $300 at the time. I also turned loose around 1000 red wiggler worms in there and used dry nutes. I ran mine as if it was a chunck of Earth, not a container for plants, so I made sure my soil could be reused by not loading it up on salts.
Underneath it I had a tarp taped to the walls so watering the bed wouldn't damage the floor underneath.

After two grows I decided to not grow that way anymore and moved it outside to grow veggies. It lasted another few seasons before the fabric was worn out and all the plastic poles bent and warped. I still have all the unique T connectors though just in case I want to use them to make a small greenhouse or something.

Pro: Every square inch of footprint is room to roam for roots. If you believe in unrestricted root zones, it delivers that. However, that does nothing to improve yield or quality.

Con: Expensive to load, hard to keep consistent moisture, gas guzzler on water, hard to remove everything for a deep clean in between grows.
I got a question... Jeremy from build a soil claims if you go from a 7gal to a 15-20 gallon pot that it will increase the yield by 50%. Did you notice?

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I got a question... Jeremy from build a soil claims if you go from a 7gal to a 15-20 gallon pot that it will increase the yield by 50%. Did you notice?
I got the same results I was used to getting using 5 gallon buckets only with the bed it used probably 4-5x more soil per plant. That's not really too bad of a thing since the soil can all be used over and over but it was a bit like wanting a cheeseburger and buying the whole steer to get it.

One other thing I didn't like much about it was how plants were locked in position and I had next to zero access to the back row plants indoors. I used clones for uniformity but different strains from seed could make it a rodeo

2Bad

2Bad

I got the same results I was used to getting using 5 gallon buckets only with the bed it used probably 4-5x more soil per plant. That's not really too bad of a thing since the soil can all be used over and over but it was a bit like wanting a cheeseburger and buying the whole steer to get it.

One other thing I didn't like much about it was how plants were locked in position and I had next to zero access to the back row plants indoors. I used clones for uniformity but different strains from seed could make it a rodeo
Ty

K

Kdot57

Looks OK for outdoors. Probably work indoors. I just don’t see why you want to commit 40 gallons of soil to grow two plants that’s a tent is going to limit in size. Plus you’re kind of putting all your eggs in one basket. Just my two. Cents.
Only was questioning the theory I’m just trying to find different growing methods and test my capabilities to find my comfortable area as I’ve done from 2 plants to a field of green that I currently have going rn with 8 in a 2x4. But I had figured it would be to much for indoors could take it outdoors though sometime but thank you.

K

Kdot57

My 2 bits is...WAY TOO MUCH soil......I'm successful in 3 gallon pots, I found 5 gallon too big for my needs, I'll put 4 in a 3x3 & 8 in a 5x5...That much soil will cause you humidity issues and dry back problems....Cannabis like a wet dry cycle where we saturate the soil then let it dry then saturate then let dry ect. in 40 gallons in a tent....That's not going to be an easy task,the plants will never use all that soil.....imho
What would you consider okay for two pots in a 2x4?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
What would you consider okay for two pots in a 2x4?
5 gallon for me if 2 was all I was growing I think Granny would do 10 gal but for me I couldn't handle it indoors. I grow some big plants in 3 gal, I though 5 gal would be better.....not that I've found and more failures have been in 5 gal for me....I'm back to 3 gal but I do fill the pots to the brim and keep adding soil as it compresses. I'm also adding a lot more perlite to help prevent too much compression of my peat based soils.

K

Kdot57

5 gallon for me if 2 was all I was growing I think Granny would do 10 gal but for me I couldn't handle it indoors. I grow some big plants in 3 gal, I though 5 gal would be better.....not that I've found and more failures have been in 5 gal for me....I'm back to 3 gal but I do fill the pots to the brim and keep adding soil as it compresses. I'm also adding a lot more perlite to help prevent too much compression of my peat based soils.
I was gonna try 2 10s possibly I was hoping to see anyone with them but I have 8 right now in 4 gallons in the 2x4 it is packed

7021FBCA 8FDD 4855 A42D 1B69B6307A70
Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I can say outdoors I went from 7gal to 20 and I want to say my yield about doubled if I am being honest. But I grew huge plants in comparison.

S

Stonemason7767

I use a thirty gallon in a 2×2.i do living soil 4th run in same dirt.i like it .my buddy has a bed like that he runs indoor.he does bottomless pots in it.so he dosnt transplant into the bed but has the bottom of his pots cut out and just sets them down in it for the last part of veg and flower.you can run out of room fast in a tent with a low ceiling in a tall pot.

Top Bottom