Crazy Lights!

• Thread starter Hurrl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hurrl

Hurrl

I'm curious what you are using to buffer the RO water? I'm wonder if you ph swings
No my PH does not swing and I do not buffer when using Megacrop. This new formula seems especially stable. A while back I was using the Dutch Masters Aqua line. That stuff would swing 2-3 points a night. Tried using House & Garden PH Osmosis Stabilizer, but that stuff was just ridiculous. It took so much PH down to get my water within a decent range I did not feel comfortable using it at all. And on top of that, I was still getting PH swings like crazy. So no, no buffers. I didn't even buffer with the original Megacrop. And it always worked fine for me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why would you need a buffer? The base nutrient solution is complete. In this case even includes all popular additives.
IME and i do have the version one. I think they use Calcium nitrate. When i did it in RO water the PH was wild and i used potassium bicarbonate to stabilize it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ahhh maybe they upped the silica too? IDK i'm gonna have to look into this new stuff

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup i just looked calcium nitrate so the buffering must come from increased silica

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And I just ordered it... This is awesome I can tweak my nutes easier now

Hurrl

Hurrl

I'll give a little update here in a couple of days. Just moving the light up and turning it down seemed to have dramatic effects. Both my plants perked up and I swear they grew another inch just over the last several hours šŸ˜œ.... Nah, but seriously they really perked up a lot. Res flushed and re-occupied with fresh nutes and only about 90ppm of GH CalMag. I also sprinkled my nutes into my mixing container slowly, like GLN recommends, instead of pre-mixing in a bucket with 2 gallons of water (I run a 20 gallon Res). And damn if that Megacrop powder didn't fully dissolve in minutes compared to hours. I normally try dissolving as much as possible in 2 gallons then pour that into my mixing container where I have a couple air stones and a pump going. This new formula always leaves solid sulfur behind when mixing like that. Takes almost a day before it all dissolves. Slowly sprinkling the dry nutrients into the full 20 gallon mixing container has immediate effects. It all dissolved right away. Guess I should learn to follow directions.....

@Aqua Man I think the reason I never really saw much PH fluctuation with the original Megacrop formula is because I was running a larger Res and only growing two plants. I was adjusting almost daily, but I was always within range 5.5-6.3 . My previous setup held 30 gallons. I downsized when I started using that Dutch Masters line a while back. Stuff was expensive. And another note about that new MC formula. If you even use it, I don't think their feed-chart has been updated to support it. Anytime I try going off their chart my PPM is way lower than it should be for the amount of water I use.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with these tips tonight. I saw quite a bit more leaf damage just in the few hours I was here. I think if I hadn't flushed and changed out that Res tonight, along with adjusting my lights, things would have been real bad in the morn. This place has been a wealth of knowledge just in the few days I've been around. Much appreciated.

Hurrl

Hurrl

So this is from 2 days after the last picture. The first picture I posted above was from the day before my original post so not all the leaf damage was visible. Since following everyone's advice I do not see any more damage than what had happened the day I posted here. Things were really ramping up and starting to get bad then. Also, since the first picture only one big fan leaf was removed that had been blocking a bud site. Since it is now flowering I'm not going to be cutting or bending unless something can't be tucked away. All in all I think she is recovering pretty well. I moved my lights a little closer today as well. I've got them sitting in the 45K range now instead of the 30k-35k range I moved them in when I changed thee Res out the other night. That Dr.Meter Lux meter has been a blessing with these new quantum boards.
18th

I also turned the deep red/far red led off for this latest pic so the color comes through a little better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom