critique my first crop/trim please, heres some pics and some questions.

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

ok we trimmed our first plants down. I got a ton of questions.

1 was a auto flower weed
2 were clones

5 gallon pots, promix only. nothing else.
General hydroponic ferts
2000W LED viparspectra LED light (395W actual draw).

made some mistakes, one branch broke.. turned a plant hermie. it grew nanners for a week, I cut them off, and they didnt come back.

we had humidity too high in tent for the end of flowering and got a little bud rot on the outside only, it didnt make its way inside the buds.

1. what are these brown balls on the underside of the autoflower plant? did we let it go too long?

2. I trimmed 90% of the buds off the 2 plants, and kept some tinyyyy undeveloped ones at the bottom, and threw them back under the light (20 on 4 off) for the hell of it with the current vegging plants. whats going to happen?

3. how does my trim job/ drying rack/ humidity look like?

4. wet bud weight x .2 equals my dry weight? seems ill get 9 oz when its done... about 280 grams if my math is right. (1400g wet weight x 10% is 140... then double that for 20%)

my numbers are very interesting. we had one auto flower from seed that was 2-3 weeks behind the other 2 clones.

one clone got LST and the GDP clone got ignored and was the biggest producer.

we had some bud rot, and some hermie happening at one point. the bud rot was only on the outside. the hermie nanners only showed up once or twice. I cut them and they didnt come back.

advice?
thoughts?
tips?
questions?
suggestions?
critiques?
complaints?
anything?

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Looks like a respectable haul. The truth will be in the toking! I grew some Blueberry Kush on my first attempt and it came out looking like your purple-leaf stuff, sort of like a pine-cone instead of a real bud. Still smokes just fine.

Don't discount the weight of all those long stems. Nice for easy handling, but I suspect they make up a fair percentage of the weight??

BudBogart

BudBogart

Real nice. Good trim job. We usually don’t weigh the harvest until it’s dried, your numbers will change, but your trays look awesome. Congratulations.

CF89

CF89

Looks like a respectable haul. The truth will be in the toking! I grew some Blueberry Kush on my first attempt and it came out looking like your purple-leaf stuff, sort of like a pine-cone instead of a real bud. Still smokes just fine.

Don't discount the weight of all those long stems. Nice for easy handling, but I suspect they make up a fair percentage of the weight??

thanks guys.

whats the tricks to getting it to look like real bud, dense bud with no gaps. what did I do "wrong" to have mine all so fluffy and airy?

youre right about the stems. so maybe 15% will be more accurate. ill know when its done. ive weighed everything.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

whats the tricks to getting it to look like real bud, dense bud with no gaps. what did I do "wrong" to have mine all so fluffy and airy?
If you find out, let me know. 😆 In my case, I assumed it was due to trauma - the weed nearly died due to root-rot and air-pump snafu, so I was happy to get anything usable from it.

growsince79

growsince79

thanks guys.

youre right about the stems. so maybe 15% will be more accurate. ill know when its done. ive weighed everything.
It's a combination of genetics and environment. Some plants will always make loose buds regardless of environment. Plant that have the genes to make dense buds do best in cool temps 70-75. Daytime 65-70 night.

CF89

CF89

id like to find those rock hard genes. im in calgary, ab canada so cold is our specialty lol. 70f is easy.. thats like our summer temps.

I wonder if these will tighten up as they dry/shrink. which theyve done significantly so far. see these pics. aug 6 and aug 9

CF89

CF89

sooo. whats the official word on going from screen to jars. once I can start snapping stems with 0 bend?

ive been weighing 2 specific buds to see the weight loss... I weigh roughly every 12 hours and here are my numbers.

im scared to screw this up. I want maximum taste!!! right now they sure dont smell good. been on the screen for 6-7 days now around 50% humidity.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Looking good!

I can't give you any specific advice on when to put them in jars, but if your stems are breaking easily, it sounds like the right time to me. I've only done a single harvest. I put all of my trim into some paper grocery bags that were loosely rolled closed. I opened the bags and gently rotated the buds a couple of times per day. I did that for a week or two until the twigs seemed brittle, then I trimmed into smaller chunks and put in jars. I opened the jars daily for a couple of weeks just to allow some air exchange. Harvest was June 21. I started using it about 4 weeks out, but I think I've perceived an improvement in quality over the past couple of weeks, which makes me think there is still curing going on even now.

CF89

CF89

got it all chopped and jarred up!! my very first grow EVER!!!

april 5th seed to august 5th jar.

my wet to dry return was very close to my 20% estimate.

Grand daddy purple was 21% of wet weight.

strawberry jager was 22%.

the auto flower skunk x big bud autoflower was 26% of wet weight.

total from 3 plants was 325g/ 11.5oz!! more than my estimate of 280g.

I used a 2000W LED light that draws 395 watts from the wall. does that mean I got .83 grams per watt?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Wow you got right into that , I think I’ll just stick to the simple weigh it when it’s dry .
very good thread good grow taking the time at the final stage is make or break 11 Oz off 3 is good , nicely trimmed well presented . Regards Od .

growsince79

growsince79

I think grams per watt is a bad way to figure yield. Grams /sqft / month is more important to me. How big was the room and how old were the plant?

CF89

CF89

I think grams per watt is a bad way to figure yield. Grams /sqft / month is more important to me. How big was the room and how old were the plant?

I was wondering that too... one more plant would of changed that number.

its a 4x4 tent and the plants were vegged for 2 months and then flowered for 65 days.

growsince79

growsince79

I was wondering that too... one more plant would of changed that number.

its a 4x4 tent and the plants were vegged for 2 months and then flowered for 65 days.
That's still pretty good for a first time grower with a cheap light. 395 / 16sf / 4.25mo = 5.8g/sf/mo. With more plants and a better light you could easily get 1 pound in 3-3.5 months in the same tent.

CF89

CF89

is there much of a difference between a 1 and a 2 month veg?

I am hoping to get 5oz per plant this time, and 4 plants. so 20oz minimum next time would be nice.

growsince79

growsince79

is there much of a difference between a 1 and a 2 month veg?

I am hoping to get 5oz per plant this time, and 4 plants. so 20oz minimum next time would be nice.
Imo you will need a better light 550 hlg maybe or 600w hps will get you there.

CF89

CF89

Well. Grow 2 is done. And it’s total dogshit compared to grow 1 for some reason despite me upgrading lights, and nutrients for grow 2.

I did defoliate and do more LST for grow 2 though.

both vegged for 2 months.

this second grow here I’m looking at half the yields under a way better light. Wow. Wtf.

grow 1 I was getting 350-500g wet bud. I re vegged two of these plants and re grew them in grow 2

grow 2 I’m getting 70-250g wet bud. Sad. (I’ve only trimmed 3/6).

719567BC 733B 47A1 B4FD D78F2D5FF131
359EF603 8BC7 4414 9394 B7E69039C9A5
EBD7E45E 96E9 4AB1 8B6A 1FB5C07471B4

Latest posts

Top Bottom