Cured cannabis taking on a licorice smell.

• Thread starter geemonty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

Not sure this is the right section move it if needed.

I cured my buds differently this time than I normally do because I had a lot more. I used 5gal food safe buckets with the gamma seal lids and threw in some boveda packs. It seemed to work great and the smell was amazing. It developed the usual smell I loved from my past grows with the same clones, but at the end of cure it started taking on a licorice smell which I have not had in any of my past harvests.

Thinking it might be going bad but I inspected much of it and I don't see any signs of anything bad going on and the smell is not alarming other than I don't care for the smell of licorice. I pulled apart several of the buds and they all looked fine. They actually smelled more like pine needles when I pull it apart and the smoke was good but there was a bit of licorice taste as well. For me it always had an earthy, wood like smell and flavor. Should I be concerned or is this just a flavor/smell that is natural to this strain that I haven't had because I sucked at growing/curing in the past? These were clones from super silver haze x apple juice. I can't find much info on how this is supposed to smell.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Everyone perceives smell & taste differently, not touch or see or hear, our 5 senses. As long as the cannabis in question does not taste like licorice I'd be ok with it, as you stated: some people like licorice taste & smell, I'm with you I abhor licorice. SS

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not sure this is the right section move it if needed.

I cured my buds differently this time than I normally do because I had a lot more. I used 5gal food safe buckets with the gamma seal lids and threw in some boveda packs. It seemed to work great and the smell was amazing. It developed the usual smell I loved from my past grows with the same clones, but at the end of cure it started taking on a licorice smell which I have not had in any of my past harvests.

Thinking it might be going bad but I inspected much of it and I don't see any signs of anything bad going on and the smell is not alarming other than I don't care for the smell of licorice. I pulled apart several of the buds and they all looked fine. They actually smelled more like pine needles when I pull it apart and the smoke was good but there was a bit of licorice taste as well. For me it always had an earthy, wood like smell and flavor. Should I be concerned or is this just a flavor/smell that is natural to this strain that I haven't had because I sucked at growing/curing in the past? These were clones from super silver haze x apple juice. I can't find much info on how this is supposed to smell.
I like licorice and I tasted it in a lot of weed I've smoked. I've a Jamaican/ Purple Haze grown from seed that I like because of that licorice taste when I first it light up.

G

geemonty

OK, I was mostly worried that it was going bad. After speaking to someone I give some too she said that it was fine as well and said that my past runs were more dry than these buds. I am thinking this might be the difference. I over dried or improperly cured and this taste/smell was lost. This was my last run with these clones which is good because I don't care for licorice. Currently have a couple white widow x bruce banner plants flowering just in early flower, hopefully they dont taste of licorice.

Last edited:
G

geemonty

Just an update, on another thread the cat piss pheno of super silver haze was mentioned so I looked it up and in the description was this.

"The aroma is creatively described as being peppery, skunky, and slightly ammonia"

THIS!!! this is what I am smelling.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
just to clarify, cat piss is straight punch you in the face, carpet soaked and dried many times over, unkempt cat lady house cat. piss. smell. shit's abhorrent. but the smoke is unworldly. top five of ten best.

G

geemonty

just to clarify, cat piss is straight punch you in the face, carpet soaked and dried many times over, unkempt cat lady house cat. piss. smell. shit's abhorrent. but the smoke is unworldly. top five of ten best.
Could be some inhereted trait from the ssh parent? Mostly I am excited because I couldn't accurately describe the smell, I called it licorice. It was not abhorent but bad enough for me to be concerned enough to post this. It really hit the nostrils and was the main smell when I first popped the lid during the burping but would tapper off a bit before I put that lid back on. Still there now after cure. The taste is only slight, nowhere near the smell of it and it only smells that strong in the bucket. I moved some to a glass jar for easier access and that doesn't really have the same level of smell as the full 5gal bucket does.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Could be some inhereted trait from the ssh parent? Mostly I am excited because I couldn't accurately describe the smell, I called it licorice. It was not abhorent but bad enough for me to be concerned enough to post this. It really hit the nostrils and was the main smell when I first popped the lid during the burping but would tapper off a bit before I put that lid back on. Still there now after cure. The taste is only slight, nowhere near the smell of it and it only smells that strong in the bucket. I moved some to a glass jar for easier access and that doesn't really have the same level of smell as the full 5gal bucket does.
speaking from the one time I had the pleasure of "cat piss" and what i know as being licorice.

there's nothing sweet about it. when I perceive licorice, it's comparable to molasses, not ammonia. cat piss is all ammonia. the flavor carries over, when smoked, gassy but not traditional coat your mouth bitterness, it's like mentholatem. airy. subtle bitter but fresh cut grass with a heaviness of earth. not "hay" at all. like the scent of fertile compost. the smell, as aggressive as the flower presents is not what the smoke delivers.

keep in mind it's been almost 20 years since I've had this bud, it's one of three in my "holy grail" circuit to obtain. will never forget the day I bought that pill bottle of bud. was like nothing else I had touched before or since. straight thought a cat pissed on those buds and that shit... if only I had a cut.

JoeyBliss

JoeyBliss

Everyone perceives smell & taste differently, not touch or see or hear, our 5 senses. As long as the cannabis in question does not taste like licorice I'd be ok with it, as you stated: some people like licorice taste & smell, I'm with you I abhor licorice. SS
I’m 42 and when I was 13 my homie said I stole some of my dad poison skunk. I just thought it was nickname for pot. Lol well I remember when we were rolling it up it smelled like black liqurice and it was thee most high I ever been. I remember just being so high I couldn’t walk my neck was rubber. And it look like dogshit. But no seeds and like I said o was cooked. Scared me

G

geemonty

As of now the aroma profile is actually pretty great. It no longer has that smell I first noticed and although still smells sweet. Very smooth vape, great flavors and aroma. Now I just need to read on best way to keep lbs of bud good for many months to come. Always so much to learn with this hobby.

TSD

TSD

OK, I was mostly worried that it was going bad. After speaking to someone I give some too she said that it was fine as well and said that my past runs were more dry than these buds. I am thinking this might be the difference. I over dried or improperly cured and this taste/smell was lost. This was my last run with these clones which is good because I don't care for licorice. Currently have a couple white widow x bruce banner plants flowering just in early flower, hopefully they dont taste of licorice.
Be prepared for a pungent smell from the widow too, though a cross will be less pronounced. My nose actually rejected my widow at first cause that pungent smell was a lot, but after 2 months curing, I like her now. My widow last year was not so stanky. Crazy how different different phenos of the same strain can be.

CropDuster

CropDuster

speaking from the one time I had the pleasure of "cat piss" and what i know as being licorice.

there's nothing sweet about it. when I perceive licorice, it's comparable to molasses, not ammonia. cat piss is all ammonia. the flavor carries over, when smoked, gassy but not traditional coat your mouth bitterness, it's like mentholatem. airy. subtle bitter but fresh cut grass with a heaviness of earth. not "hay" at all. like the scent of fertile compost. the smell, as aggressive as the flower presents is not what the smoke delivers.

keep in mind it's been almost 20 years since I've had this bud, it's one of three in my "holy grail" circuit to obtain. will never forget the day I bought that pill bottle of bud. was like nothing else I had touched before or since. straight thought a cat pissed on those buds and that shit... if only I had a cut.
I was talking to a buddy just the other day, made me search for cat piss lead me here, you mention licorice, there was also, Jägermeister strain, we will remember more.
BUMP

Top Bottom