Curing and Burping: I have questions

• Thread starter chelseamac27
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chelseamac27

Hello again all…

Sooo I feel as though I’ve very annoying with questions but I just want to find out answers from people that have done this. Anyways…I jarred my harvest and now I’ve been burping the jars every day like 2-3x a day for like 15-20 minutes each time. I got some hygrometers for my jars and they are saying it’s like 75 in the jars. How do I continue to lower or keep lowering that humidity level to the desired range? Just keep burping?

C

chelseamac27

Okay. They were very crunchy when I put them in the jars…but once in the jars, they moistened back up some….but I just got the hygrometers today, so put em in and this is where im at.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

No, take those buds out of the jar and lay them on a piece of paper to dry more before putting them back.

What's the RH in your home?
THIS^^^^^

The idea is to slowly draw the moisture out of the middle of the flower without destroying the surface trichs. If you dry too slowly you risk fungus and rot. If you dry too quickly you risk trichs hardening and falling off when you handle them.

As Growsince79 posted, an old school method that works well is to get a large grocery paper bag, lay a layer of paper towel in the bottom and lay out a level of flower. Don't crowd. You're trying to get some semblance of air flow through them. Continue layering. After a week or so the flower should be dry enough on the outside to start jarring. Burp daily for 2 to 3 weeks and your flower should be at the right moisture level for smoking.

You can also dry them on a dry net and then jar them. That's how I do it. Much easier to redistribute around to aerate and get an even dry. Once they're ready I jar them to finish removing the last moisture in the middle of the flower.

2Bad

2Bad

Do you have a ac infinity exhaust system with humidity sensor? You could test to see if your hygrometer is accurate by comparing it. But Icepipedon is correct paper towel and dry another day at least.

Last edited:
C

chelseamac27

THIS^^^^^

The idea is to slowly draw the moisture out of the middle of the flower without destroying the surface trichs. If you dry too slowly you risk fungus and rot. If you dry too quickly you risk trichs hardening and falling off when you handle them.

An old school method that works well is to get a large grocery paper bag, lay a layer of paper towel in the bottom and lay out a level of flower. Don't crowd. You're trying to get some semblance of air flow through them. Continue layering. After a week or so the flower should be dry enough on the outside to start jarring. Burp daily for 2 to 3 weeks and your flower should be at the right moisture level for smoking.

You can also dry them on a dry net and then jar them. That's how I do it. Much easier to redistribute around to aerate and get an even dry. Once they're ready I jar them to finish removing the last moisture in the middle of the flower.

I do have one of those. Is this method better than the paper bag method?

C

chelseamac27

Do you have a ac infinity exhaust system with humidity sensor? You could test to see if your hygrometer is accurate by comparing it. But if Icepipedon is correct paper towel and dry another day at least.
I do not. That will be a future investment though I think.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I do have one of those. Is this method better than the paper bag method?
Not so much better as just easier. The net allows you to move the flower around by just tapping the bottom of the level to redistribute. The netting also has better airflow than the paper bag as even though the paper bag and towels are there to collect moisture the netting actually removes it by letting air flow through it.

The danger of jarring them is if you get lazy and don't burp you could get fungus or mold but, in my opinion, as long as you burp them daily you should have no issues.

C

chelseamac27

Not so much better as just easier. The net allows you to move the flower around by just tapping the bottom of the level to redistribute. The netting also has better airflow than the paper bag as even though the paper bag and towels are there to collect moisture the netting actually removes it by letting air flow through it.

The danger of jarring them is if you get lazy and don't burp you could get fungus or mold but, in my opinion, as long as you burp them daily you should have no issues.
If I put them in a paper bag, how much longer should they be left like that?

growsince79

growsince79

@ 54 you can put them in a paper bag for a couple weeks then jar. Burping is what you do after baby eats.

Do you have a ac infinity exhaust system with humidity sensor? You could test to see if your hygrometer is accurate by comparing it. But if Icepipedon is correct paper towel and dry another day at least.
Everyone I've talked to says ac infinity censor is always 6-10% higher than their hygrometer. Mine is 8-9% high. What's yours?

steamroller

steamroller

Place the hygrometer in paper bag and jar at 50% IMO.

I don't burp my jars unless the hygrometer says over 65%.
I paper bag my plants after hanging then jar.
Under 50% in jar needs to be moistened. I use a small carrot for 24 hours.
From 55%-65% I just watch.
At 65%+ I open jars completely for a day and check again.
I keep my jars in a cardboard box that is light proof.
At 75% the plants should be in paper bags for a couple days IMO.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Paper bag method should be around a week but you really should check them periodically to make sure they aren't drying too fast or that the bottom layer is starting to mold. That's why I like the dry nets. Much easier to monitor and redistribute the flower for optimal cure.

I'm not sure how dry they are now so I can't really give you a concrete answer as to how long in the paper bag. Set up your net if you have one. You'll get a better cure with less hassle. Again, the paper bag works. It's just not as efficient or easy as with a net.

2Bad

2Bad

Everyone I've talked to says ac infinity censor is always 6-10% higher than their hygrometer. Mine is 8-9% high. What's yours?
So i've tested all my things.. Hygrometer reads 50% ac infinity reads %50 dehumidifier reads 45% and the humidifier reads 55-60% so I trust my AC over any of them since I have two matching ones. Idk it feels right. but I could be wrong.

growsince79

growsince79

Keep the room rh 60% and the can stay in the bag forever or as long as you like.

growsince79

growsince79

So i've tested all my things.. Hygrometer reads 50% ac infinity reads %50 dehumidifier reads 45% and the humidifier reads 55-60% so I trust my AC over any of them since I have two matching ones. Idk it feels right. but I could be wrong.
My hygrometers all agree within 2%. All are lower. I error on the side of low.

C

chelseamac27

No, take those buds out of the jar and lay them on a piece of paper to dry more before putting them back.

What's the RH in your home?
So I put the hygrometer in the paper bag with the jarred stuff and it’s now under 60. Should I leave it and watch…..? Or jar it now?

Top Bottom