Curing buds with low RH in jars

• Thread starter Kclmnop92
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Bump

So I dried the crap out out of a few Plants..
I added some Tangerine Peels to the jars.. Amazing how well it works.. They are holding at about 55-60%RH..
I can just leave the lids closed far a few weeks without worry??
A few weeks isn't bad. But more than that, Oxygen becomes your enemy. Even if you vacuum seal the jars, oxygen is still present and is the only risk for mold at that point. I send out Oxygen Absorbers with my curing systems to finish off the cure. For home use, it helps with long term storage. But longer than 4-6 months, you should vacuum pack and freeze them. Walmart has oxygen absorbers you can use.

For really big jobs, I give them O2 or Nitrogen (depending on what they need).

30roll

30roll

I should clarify that I did take out the peels. I left then in long enough for the buds to soften up to a target 60 or so RH.. Some jars went down more than others but are all within 5%. That was Friday night-Saturday morning as I experimented.

Now today I noticed that the buds have settled under their own weight with the extra moisture, so now there's more empty glass in the Jars.. I bumped all of them to fluff them up.

I just don't wanna lose moisture that I had to add by opening Jars every day..

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I should clarify that I did take out the peels. I left then in long enough for the buds to soften up to a target 60 or so RH.. Some jars went down more than others but are all within 5%. That was Friday night-Saturday morning as I experimented.

Now today I noticed that the buds have settled under their own weight with the extra moisture, so now there's more empty glass in the Jars.. I bumped all of them to fluff them up.

I just don't wanna lose moisture that I had to add by opening Jars every day..
If you have large jars (1.9 liter - 1 gallon) every time you dip into it you're drying your bud more. Try filling a small jar to smoke from. That way you're opening your big jars less often.

Every time you "fluff up" your bud, you're knocking off trichomes. It shouldn't matter a whole lot because the majority of trichomes are inside your bud. Just be aware of it.

One last note. Your bud will get harsher and harsher, and you risk getting mold every time you rehydrate your bud.

3 balls

3 balls

My friends are all small growers and actually look forward to burping their jars once a day. It's a very enjoyable yearly ritual for them and works wonderfully. 🥰

Personally, I can't be bothered to do it every single day. But once a week I open a bucket to smell the progress. I like seeing the difference as it cures and know exactly when I can put it in storage. Usually at the end of the 3rd week. I have a Nitrogen tank so I pump some in to replace the oxygen for long term storage. The check valves keep it in and the oxygen out.

For THCFarmer members, I can send prepared Lids, Air Lines & Check Valves for $20ea + $20 shipping. More than 24 lids and the shipping has to go up by $5.

For that, I won't supply the jars, air pump, airline manifold, timer and the other stuff.
But I might throw in some sample
View attachment 1058094 😁

Let me know on here, not on the website.

Tip:
If you study the picture, you can figure it out and make them yourself with material you find at a pet store like PetSmart in the aquarium section. The cheap flexible PVC air lines they have are fine.

#2 Make sure your bud are dried to 60% RH. Personally, I like the lower end between 55% and 60%. More than that and it gums up my grinder.

You won't be able to find the rubber grommets but if you drill the holes in the lids the exact same size as the airline you use, it'll be somewhat air tight. Especially if you use silicone air lines.

DIY PARTS LIST

Flexible PVC Air Line

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...quarium-airline-tubing-58891.html?cgid=300202
About $3
View attachment 1058070
Drill Bit
1/8 inch Drill Bit (I think the size is right) to make 2 holes in the LID to fit the Air Line above.
(It'll be hard to drill a clean hole. Use a test Lid for the fit. It should be tight)

Wide Mouth Masson Jar Lid (from any hardware store or grocery store)
Don't use your mom's or she'll be pissed.
About $13

View attachment 1058078
It's important to use a 2 part lid like the one above. If you don't, you'll have to disconnect the lines to open the jars just to smell your treasure.

Check Valves
https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...-aquarium-check-valve-16877.html?cgid=5000270
About $8 ($4 each. You need 2.)
View attachment 1058071

Air Pump (Plug it into your Timer)
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...sper-aquarium-air-pump-18160.html?cgid=300107
About $35 (you need a big enough pump to open the check valves and pressurize the jars)
View attachment 1058090
A smaller air pump won't be strong enough to open the check valves. You'll need a bigger pump for more than 2 jars ($45-$95 depending on the # of jars)

Timer (Set it for 15 minutes on every day. Longer if you have a lot of jars)

About $14
View attachment 1058087
Danger: Some timers (mostly mechanical timers) have 30 minute minimum intervals. That is too long for a few jars and will DRY your buds.

Optional but highly recommended.
Mini Hygrometer
(Put them in your jars so you can monitor your stash)
About $15

View attachment 1058085

Total DIY Cost: $93 plus tax.

Hell, it's still cheaper to buy from me and you get better stuff with no work.
Very cool of you to put this list together for DIY. I'm going the 5 gal route and already have the bulk of the stuff I need.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
No problem. Here's an update.

I've been experimenting with parts over the last year. I have a workshop filled with parts I won't or can't use for various reasons.

On airlines, I cut and perforated different air lines and sealed them in jars. I opened them after a week and was hit with substantial off gassing. The best one was DeepBlue from Aquarium Masters. However, I strongly suggest you cut and perforate all your airlines and plug them into the pump and manifold WITHOUT putting them into the jars. Then run the pump on (30 minutes) and off a couple times a day, for a few hours per day, for a week. This seems to remove noticeable chemical off gassing.

We use Medical Grade silicone for our systems. It's expensive but we can't risk losing a crop to a chemical smell. You should be able to find it at a medical supply company. You won't find it on eBay or Amazon.

Top Bottom