Curing question using mason jars and humidity indicators

• Thread starter OzarkMike
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OzarkMike

OzarkMike

Hello, I’m new, and this looks to be a great place to hang out. I’m currently selectively harvesting my outdoor grow. I’ve only grown indoors before, and although my grows have been successful previously, my cures have not been that great. It looks like I’ll be getting my legal limit this year, so I’ve gone through the trouble of setting up a humidity/temperature controlled dry room. I have plenty of mason jars at the ready plus I purchased a dozen of those little temp/humidity monitors to put in my jars. I also have plenty of the boveda‘s. My question is how the heck do I use them? There is so much conflicting information! Can I use the indicators to tell me when to burp? At what humidity are they crying for dryer air? Also I’ll be keeping legal limit of my very best bud to smoke, plus I’ll keep enough to squeeze into my legal limit of rosin. I have the rosin bud figured out I think, so my main question is how to use the indicators to help me cure? Thanks!

06DE10D8 BB3A 4E1E 99A1 1E5763DDAE24
growsince79

growsince79

Hello, I’m new, and this looks to be a great place to hang out. I’m currently selectively harvesting my outdoor grow. I’ve only grown indoors before, and although my grows have been successful previously, my cures have not been that great. It looks like I’ll be getting my legal limit this year, so I’ve gone through the trouble of setting up a humidity/temperature controlled dry room. I have plenty of mason jars at the ready plus I purchased a dozen of those little temp/humidity monitors to put in my jars. I also have plenty of the boveda‘s. My question is how the heck do I use them? There is so much conflicting information! Can I use the indicators to tell me when to burp? At what humidity are they crying for dryer air? Also I’ll be keeping legal limit of my very best bud to smoke, plus I’ll keep enough to squeeze into my legal limit of rosin. I have the rosin bud figured out I think, so my main question is how to use the indicators to help me cure? Thanks!
Throw em away. lol

OzarkMike

OzarkMike

Throw em away. lol
Lol! I’m thinking the same. I bet they didn’t put these silly things in brickweed lol! This is getting too complicated!! Seriously I want to put the effort into this crop ‘cause I’m sick of dispensaries!

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

In-jar sensors are invaluable for assessing bud humidity. I’ve used a type called Mondi for several years and it measures temp (C or F) and humidity and it saves max/min values for later assessment. I fill jar about 2/3 full, lay it on it’s side for maximum aeration, and try to keep T at about 60F+/- 5 and H at about 55-60%. A dry cool basement is perfect location. Hi If the jar is greater than 65% I would remove the sensor, open it for about 30 minutes, and rotate the jar 180 degrees to tumble the buds loose. If they stick together give jar a quick shake or to with hand covering the open to separate the buds without touching them and lay jar down for more drying. Then reinstall sensor and continue to monitor.

And here’s a use tip I haven’t seen mentioned before. Locate the sensor openings (Mondi has two…one for T and one for H). Be sure to place hygrometer in the jar with sensors open to jar air (may need to place sensor unit upside down) and don’t just bury them in a mass of buds with screen facing outward. This will give a reading of bud mass T and H but will not give accurate readings of T and H in the jar air. And you don’t need a sensor for each jar but maybe one for each type of bud you grow. Good luck.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I trim wet using a bowl trimer and dry on nets. Dry climate here

About day 4 or 5 (depending) ill put a big handfull in a vault for a couple hours and see the readings, doing this untill i get around 64 % then into the cvaults. Fist day in the vaults they will sweat and humidity will come up a point or 2. Then burping until a stable 62%. I've read curing stops at 57% but no data to back it up.

growsince79

growsince79

I trim wet using a bowl trimer and dry on nets. Dry climate here

About day 4 or 5 (depending) ill put a big handfull in a vault for a couple hours and see the readings, doing this untill i get around 64 % then into the cvaults. Fist day in the vaults they will sweat and humidity will come up a point or 2. Then burping until a stable 62%. I've read curing stops at 57% but no data to back it up.
Buds stop curing when they get too dry, not when the air is too dry. A bud with 12% moisture is still curing even if the rh drops to 10. Moisture in the air just makes them dry/cure slower/longer.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

After you do it a bunch of times, you will be able to tell just by the burp of the jars, and the smell and feel of the buds.

I agree with @growsince79 - no need for all the extra nit-picky tools. I find that the less complicated my grows have become, the better my end product is. I cure til I think it’s cured (every strain is different - had a Blueberry F5 that never stopped getting better - had it in jars for almost a year). When it feels and smells like I want it to, I will open the jar once every 10-14 days to grab my head stash. But it took me a while to get enough different kinds in jars to have this luxury - a couple years ago I was running through my jars before I was done my next harvest hahahhaha!

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Then there's how full is the jar? Whats the temperature? Barometric pressure? Even if those little things were accurate, they don't tell you the moisture content of the bud.
Then there's how full is the jar? (That's why i allow 2 hours). Whats the temperature? (I use 62 % at 72 degrees) Barometric pressure? (Why would that matter? )Even if those little things were accurate, they don't tell you the moisture content of the bud. Ive done trials by weight ie: shrink and i find it pretty close at around 80%

Just snapped these in the pantry harvested july 20
20210927 101142
20210927 101329
20210927 101252

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Op asked how to do it using meters.

I told him how i do it and it's worked very well for me the last 8 years. Never missed a cure and never lost any flower

Krispy420

Krispy420

Hi, I was underwhelmed with those hygrometers as well. But then again I guess you get what you pay for. In the image you can see 2 of them right next to each other that vary by 9%. I generally agree with greenmtnguru about just using your senses to determine when they are ready. This next part will be controversial but I like my buds really dry. When i grab the nug i want it to almost fall apart and crumble easily when i squeeze it. Other people seem to be really worried about harsh smoke but I say "you gotta cough to get off". Of course you want a little moisture left when you jar them so they cure rather than turning to mummy dust though. Anyway, I'm a noob so take that with a grain of salt, just my 2 cents...don't overcomplicate it

OzarkMike

OzarkMike

"you gotta cough to get off"
LOL so true I should be good then hahaha

Latest posts

Top Bottom