curing the dank in the dank pacnw

• Thread starter chappie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chappie

Hello-

I live in Coastal Oregon where humidity is often 80%+ for months upon months at a time. I sometimes have to dry my crop using a dehumidifier. With this, I am able to get it down to 55% or so and then cure in jars.

A problem arises as I open the jars to "burp" or later, when the cure is complete but simply when fetching a supply to consume. The buds quickly rehumidify. I have mostly gotten used to this, and accepted that my buds are simply softer than I would like, and they never quite complete the curing process to my satisfaction. Since I am my own consumer, this is something I can tolerate.

However, I just had a guest to whom I had shared a sample. As he travelled, the buds I gave him dried out a fair bit and cured quite remarkably. I could still recognize them as my own but they were much improved!

This has re-invigorated my interest in getting on top of the humidity and curing issues.

Since I have a perpetual garden, I don't want to have to run the dehumidifier for months at a time just to cure small quantities (perhaps 4-8 ounces at a time). I am open to doing this in some kind of box or cabinet, and this is my best idea so far. Perhaps something the size of a fridge, with the dehumidifier inside it. I have seen people suggest cigar beads or those bags which either hydrate or dehydrate based on context. Those sound great, but also seem like they are disposable after a while and I would need great quantities for the number of jars I deal with.

Certainly some of you are in the PacNW and can relate. I probably live in a draftier, clammier house than you but if you have dealt with this issue, please let me know what you have found to do about it! The local growers I know are rather ignorant in their curing methods (some actually use dehydrators for drying - which leads to terrible product IMO).

The grow guides etc don't ever address this, they always assume that opening your jars will lower humidity - but when I leave a stash jar open, the buds will be too soft the next day. Halp!

G

Green Supreme

I live in Vancouver B.C. I hang my plants in a room at 70 degrees. I use an electric heater to warm the room to that temp, as electric heat is dry. I have a fan moving air in the room, but not so much that the plants flop about. I have a small can and can fan to scrub the smell in the room. I hang the plants on the line for a week. Then trim into jars and it is done.{Well the drying part}. Good luck. Peace GS

J

jack_ripa

An AC or heater will dehumidify as well, just don't overdo it. And whatever you do, don't try to stick your dehumidifier in a little area, it will kill it. I have done this in an attic space and it was doom for the dehumidifier.

Trailertrish

Trailertrish

Hello-

I live in Coastal Oregon where humidity is often 80%+ for months upon months at a time. I sometimes have to dry my crop using a dehumidifier. With this, I am able to get it down to 55% or so and then cure in jars.

A problem arises as I open the jars to "burp" or later, when the cure is complete but simply when fetching a supply to consume. The buds quickly rehumidify. I have mostly gotten used to this, and accepted that my buds are simply softer than I would like, and they never quite complete the curing process to my satisfaction. Since I am my own consumer, this is something I can tolerate.

However, I just had a guest to whom I had shared a sample. As he travelled, the buds I gave him dried out a fair bit and cured quite remarkably. I could still recognize them as my own but they were much improved!

This has re-invigorated my interest in getting on top of the humidity and curing issues.

Since I have a perpetual garden, I don't want to have to run the dehumidifier for months at a time just to cure small quantities (perhaps 4-8 ounces at a time). I am open to doing this in some kind of box or cabinet, and this is my best idea so far. Perhaps something the size of a fridge, with the dehumidifier inside it. I have seen people suggest cigar beads or those bags which either hydrate or dehydrate based on context. Those sound great, but also seem like they are disposable after a while and I would need great quantities for the number of jars I deal with.

Certainly some of you are in the PacNW and can relate. I probably live in a draftier, clammier house than you but if you have dealt with this issue, please let me know what you have found to do about it! The local growers I know are rather ignorant in their curing methods (some actually use dehydrators for drying - which leads to terrible product IMO).

The grow guides etc don't ever address this, they always assume that opening your jars will lower humidity - but when I leave a stash jar open, the buds will be too soft the next day. Halp!

Latest posts

Top Bottom