Curing Tips: If bud's are dry, but only been curing for a week or two, do you still burp often?

• Thread starter Thelight413
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thelight413

Thelight413

I'm looking to get some educated insight on curing and what's actually going on in the process, I understand we are burping to even out moisture levels throughout the bud, aka release the moisture from the center of the bud to have an evenly dried bud..BUT, my question is, if I've only been in the cure process for about 2 weeks, but the buds are at about the ideal moisture content I would like them at...should I stop burping the bags? OR is there something going on in the curing process that suggest continuing to burp the bags for say a month or two. Generally I find the buds to start tasting really good around 3-4 weeks off the stem.

What I do, and I've had good really good cured flower in my past runs, but I'm in Colorado and it can be extremely dry here so I'm trying to avoid the super dry buds and want to hear what people do, but what i do is dry trim when the buds basically when they "snap" off the stem or a little prior to that (usually takes around 10-21 days depending on dry room environment), and then I put the nugs into liberty bags (turkey bags), generally for the first 7 days in the bag, I will burp once a day for a few minutes each bag, after 7 days I usually burp every other day or every 3 days. I'm curious if people stop burping their bags once they reach the ideal "feel" and moisture content in their buds, or should you keep burping every now and then?

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

I bought some sealed bone dry bud from the dispo that smelled/tasted like classic "basement res" terrior. After 3 days of opening, it got a gsc-esque sweetness and the res terroir vanished.

I bought some sealed bone dry Bubba at the dispo that smelled like fish guts. 3 days of burping and I smell bubba.

I bought some sealed, refrigerated Sherb from the dispo that smelled/tasted like dirt. 2 weeks of burping and it tasted like sour edible underwear. Went back to the dispensary and theirs still smelled like dirt from being sealed up and never burped. Sitting on the he bottom shelf, potentially the best bud in the city, ruined because of pure willfull ignorance about this plant.

Burping is not about moisture, at all. Anyone who thinks it is has missed the entire point. Which is most people today. You got people trying to preserve undeveloped unfinished weed, it makes no sense. Who would want bud smelling like sugared potting mix instead of sour candy?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I bought some sealed bone dry bud from the dispo that smelled/tasted like classic "basement res" terrior. After 3 days of opening, it got a gsc-esque sweetness and the res terroir vanished.

I bought some sealed bone dry Bubba at the dispo that smelled like fish guts. 3 days of burping and I smell bubba.

I bought some sealed, refrigerated Sherb from the dispo that smelled/tasted like dirt. 2 weeks of burping and it tasted like sour edible underwear. Went back to the dispensary and theirs still smelled like dirt from being sealed up and never burped. Sitting on the he bottom shelf, potentially the best bud in the city, ruined because of pure willfull ignorance about this plant.

Burping is not about moisture, at all. Anyone who thinks it is has missed the entire point. Which is most people today. You got people trying to preserve undeveloped unfinished weed, it makes no sense. Who would want bud smelling like sugared potting mix instead of sour candy?
were i,m from the average toker has absoloutely no clue what top rate weed is.i dunno how many times I,v given people tokes of some good, well grown,well cured tastey shit-not even my best shit which I keep for myself mostly, but a step or two down from my best,they didn't even know that weed thst tastes and hits like that existed .

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I'm looking to get some educated insight on curing and what's actually going on in the process, I understand we are burping to even out moisture levels throughout the bud, aka release the moisture from the center of the bud to have an evenly dried bud..BUT, my question is, if I've only been in the cure process for about 2 weeks, but the buds are at about the ideal moisture content I would like them at...should I stop burping the bags? OR is there something going on in the curing process that suggest continuing to burp the bags for say a month or two. Generally I find the buds to start tasting really good around 3-4 weeks off the stem.

What I do, and I've had good really good cured flower in my past runs, but I'm in Colorado and it can be extremely dry here so I'm trying to avoid the super dry buds and want to hear what people do, but what i do is dry trim when the buds basically when they "snap" off the stem or a little prior to that (usually takes around 10-21 days depending on dry room environment), and then I put the nugs into liberty bags (turkey bags), generally for the first 7 days in the bag, I will burp once a day for a few minutes each bag, after 7 days I usually burp every other day or every 3 days. I'm curious if people stop burping their bags once they reach the ideal "feel" and moisture content in their buds, or should you keep burping every now and then?
Wow, I can't believe you can dry that long before you put in jars, especially since you said the air is dry. I just hung a plant in 50% humidity cuz it was the best I had, and I had to jar them after 4 days to prevent them from drying too much, too fast.
Sometimes I will even throw it in the jar a little earlier than that, but leave the lid off, to slow the drying process down.

I kinda like my bud like sticky candy tho. I don't like it to crumble. I like it to chop easily but kinda stick together a little bit, like brown sugar or something lol.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I'll usually burp daily for the first 2-3 weeks, depending on their condition/moisture content and then maybe twice a week until I put then in jars or freezer bags and in the freezer, then I open up the jars weekly just to smell 'em. Love that smell!

Is this the best way? Ya got me but so far so good. I haven't had any issues with mold or dry bud.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

As far as drying here in sunny so cal it's usually frickin' HOT in Oct/Nov and i need to add a humidifier and A/C and it takes 5-8 days. Once the branches bend and are close to breaking I throw 'em into buckets or glass jars if a small harvest. Works for me but I'd really like to eliminate the A/C and dry them in the garage but I usually have no choice and it's only for a week at most. My wife hates it when I bring them in our spare bedroom but I gotta do it.

K

Kot

Almost everywhere where I read or watch videos nobody explains the science behind opening the jars daily for certain period of time and what is the final goal. To me burping is the fail-safe intended for the average people.

I think the idea is to get the RH stable at 62% so I use hygrometers to determine if I should expose the buds to more dry air or should I introduce a small wet paper into the jar to raise the RH if I over dried the buds.

Correct me if I am wrong.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Almost everywhere where I read or watch videos nobody explains the science behind opening the jars daily for certain period of time and what is the final goal. To me burping is the fail-safe intended for the average people.

I think the idea is to get the RH stable at 62% so I use hygrometers to determine if I should expose the buds to more dry air or should I introduce a small wet paper into the jar to raise the RH if I over dried the buds.

You def can rehydrate over dried bud. However, you cannot re kick start the curing process. My story am stikn to it.

Adding wet anything to your curing jar is setting you up for mold. At some point maybe. Seen it a time or two. Especially if you put orange rinds ,bread, or fruit as they did back in the day. Just my 2 c

K

Kot

You def can rehydrate over dried bud. However, you cannot re kick start the curing process. My story am stikn to it.

Adding wet anything to your curing jar is setting you up for mold. At some point maybe. Seen it a time or two. Especially if you put orange rinds ,bread, or fruit as they did back in the day. Just my 2 c
That's why I put small wet piece of paper. Done it many times to many jars and never had mold problem. You just have to put it on something else but the buds.

Thelight413

Thelight413

I believe this is the right concept but wasn't sure so that's what brought me here, I feel like If I'm going to keep burping it, the moisture is just going to escape more and more from the bud and if I were to keep burping, I would have very dry weed very shortly...I think but am not 100% sure.

Thelight413

Thelight413

What is burping about then? I believe the one guy below may have said it right in achieving the ideal humidity, those dispensaries most likely botched the cure up front and never did it at all and that's why its working for you, that's just a guess but it I think it might make sense. I would think you are.. actually burping to let out the excess moisture that is collecting in your sealed containers jars, that release lets the humidity from those jars, you then seal it back up, a little more moisture leaks from your buds, you then burp again, eventually if you were to keep burping....wouldn't there be not much moisture left in your buds to burp out? I do know though that if you never burp or maybe dont burp enough, say you burp like for two or 3 days and then never again, just straight sealed from there.., you will definitely get that wet basement, midsy grass smell that is pretty prevalent in a lot of weed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There is bacteria inside the bud eating the remaining chlorophyll. Burping the jar is to release the gasses caused by the biological action.

When the bud is fully dry the bacteria die and the “curing” stops.

Buds should be dry enough before jarring to eliminate chance of mold with minimal burping.

And the density and composition of the buds and the envirenment they are dried and stored in are all variables.

Done properly the buds smell and taste should evolve into smoother better smoking flowers.

And slower for the whole process is best.

ladiesbstfrd

ladiesbstfrd

I'm also in Colorado and I got mines curing now in jars been about 3wks and I stopped burping about a wk ago

mandoVol

mandoVol

What is burping about then? I believe the one guy below may have said it right in achieving the ideal humidity, those dispensaries most likely botched the cure up front and never did it at all and that's why its working for you, that's just a guess but it I think it might make sense. I would think you are.. actually burping to let out the excess moisture that is collecting in your sealed containers jars, that release lets the humidity from those jars, you then seal it back up, a little more moisture leaks from your buds, you then burp again, eventually if you were to keep burping....wouldn't there be not much moisture left in your buds to burp out? I do know though that if you never burp or maybe dont burp enough, say you burp like for two or 3 days and then never again, just straight sealed from there.., you will definitely get that wet basement, midsy grass smell that is pretty prevalent in a lot of weed.

you’re trying to “gas off” moisture from the flowers/buds just like you would with lacquer or varnish, except whatever you’re applying lacquer to isn’t in a glass jar. Obviously.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I've had 6 Turkey bags filled for about 2 days, not burped once, humidity is low at 51 in 4 53 & 55 in the others, smells great though the bags, thinking I should put in jars & hope for the best, my house is only in the 60s so this probably doesn't help + the RH is in the 40s. 🤷‍♂️

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter

Yes. Stop burping. Curing involves aging the bud to stabilize the trichomes and volatile compounds. Burping is to make sure excess off gassing and humidity doesn't encourage mold. Spend $25 on a good Caliber4r Hygrometer (I have about 10 of them) and leave it in your bags. The cheap $4 ones can be off by more than 5%. I have a couple hundred of the cheap ones, but I test them all in a modified environmentally controlled wine fridge. The ones that are <3% off, I keep. The rest get returned. I return a lot.

You're right. 3 full weeks is about the time when everything stabilizes. I like 4 weeks for immediate use (55-57%), and 3 weeks to vacpack everything and freeze it for long term (at 60-62%). Grinding 62% gums everything up.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter

That's because it's nitrogen packed. No oxygen, no microbial growth. Smart.
Nitrogen keeps it from going bad, but once it's opened, the weed ages really fast. And that's OK if you get those sealed cans/jars. There's only a few grams in them and you're probably going to smoke it within a week. But I sure wouldn't get 100oz can though. It would lose all smell and flavor.

Panhead59

Panhead59

That's because it's nitrogen packed. No oxygen, no microbial growth. Smart.
Nitrogen keeps it from going bad, but once it's opened, the weed ages really fast. And that's OK if you get those sealed cans/jars. There's only a few grams in them and you're probably going to smoke it within a week. But I sure wouldn't get 100oz can though. It would lose all smell and flavor.
So how is everyone controlling the environment ? Some kind of small fridge, or what ? 60/60 for example is pretty darn specific. No room for error.

sambapati

sambapati

As far as drying here in sunny so cal it's usually frickin' HOT in Oct/Nov and i need to add a humidifier and A/C and it takes 5-8 days. Once the branches bend and are close to breaking I throw 'em into buckets or glass jars if a small harvest. Works for me but I'd really like to eliminate the A/C and dry them in the garage but I usually have no choice and it's only for a week at most. My wife hates it when I bring them in our spare bedroom but I gotta do it.
150% agree with air conditioned room 60 with minimum 2 Hepa filters 24X7.

GelatoBill

GelatoBill

Last year I grew Sherblato, by harvest time almost all fan leaves had yellowed and were removed. I wanted a 7 to 10 day dry, but after 7 days in NorCal humidity some were drier than I wanted (under 55% when jarred with hygrometer). I rehydrated with 6 inch doubled-ended wooden cotton swabs by cutting them in half and dipping into distilled water. I placed the cotton swab in the jar making sure the buds weren't in contact with the wet end of the cotton swab. I would check the next burp session and leave the cotton swabs until the hygrometer would read 62%. This worked very well for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom