Current Culture Rdwc Ph Swings & Effects I've Never Seen

• Thread starter intheuc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
intheuc

intheuc

Week 4 of veg and after a Saturday changeout, I had PH drop from 5.8 to 4.9 overnight. I drained and added back to balance out at a 5.7 and dropped again to 5.5 the next day so I left it alone and dropped to 5.0 yesterday. The PPM would only drop 10-20 each day. I then drained the entire system and refilled with fresh solution. I use the UC12XL13 with upgrades to the return pump (from 950 to 1200) and extensions of all joints (from 12" to 24") and an extension of both return & delivery manifolds (from XL to XXL). I am running the Current Culture nutrient line as recommended and this is my first time running sterile so I'm hesitant to apply everything I have ever known over the years. My starting solution was at 520 ppm (3.5ml veg a and veg b; 4ml UC roots, 2ml Calmag) and starting PH at 5.9. By the time it filled, the read was 460 ppm and 5.6 ph. This morning ppm is 440 and ph is 5.5.

Factors to help with your assessment:

Room Type: sealed room with no panda paper, used flat white paint (Behr ultra white if you're interested)
Water temp: 68 thanks to 1/2hp chiller stored outside of room
Room temp: 78-80 (sensi controlled w/ 5 ton open blow Lennox)
Room humidity: 53% (controlled by Quest 205)
Fans: 4 with open blow AC fan running constant (plenty of air movement)
Lights: 12 (1 per plant) comprised of 1000 watt MH and 1000 watt hps to create a spectrum (and save what was left of my pockets) with 18/6 photo period
Examination of roots: Pure White & healthy
Examination of stems: 50/50 in showing signs of stress (purple stems- please note, platinum Girl Scout cookies is naturally purplish)
Examination of Water: clean, no strange scent
Water quality: Evolution filtration method bringing me in at 0 ppm and a ph of 6
Water levels: remaining constant with the slightest of drops during the last 3 weeks
Plant Heights: 12-14"
Leaf/plant quality: 7/12 are perky and bushy with slight rusting color on older leaves, 2/12 are droopy-ish with rust color on older leaves, 2/12 are droopy and yellower than others much like soil plants when they're thirsty. (Already ruled out rust fungus and increased Calmag from 1ml/ gal to 2ml/gal but it's still too soon to say this is or is not the issue since)
Pests: spent hours with jewelers loupe and found no signs of pests
Prior to week 4 of veg: there were no issues with any of the plants. Everyone recovered well from a topping on the first day of week 2 and a slight lollipop on the 1st day of week 3
Supports: My Trellis is up for support (built with pvc frame and netted with 2" plastic netting)
Top-off Rez: available for use but haven't needed much of a top off since they're not drinking much.
Meters: Guardian blue lab at mixing station, guardian blue lab in 1st bucket from delivery manifold and guardian blue lab in 1st bucket from return manifold (all calibrated twice).

I hope I have provided enough information for you to properly help me diagnose my issues. There just aren't enough threads about CC RDWC and the ones I have read here and other places aren't all that clear. This nute line isn't all that popular either so that drives me up the wall and coming from AN, I was super happy to work with fewer bottles so I could properly diagnose.

Ps. I did reach out to cc and their customer service is a joke despite being glorified by hydrostores. I think they're just there for the people pushing their products and not so much those of us using their products. If they were, I would share exactly how many upgrades I've had to make to their lacking design.

I added photos if that helps

intheuc

intheuc

Update***
CC recommended a full evac of the system and a 24hr flush comprised of fresh RO water and 10ml/gallon UC Roots. I drained and used a shop vac to get every droplet of water from every bucket. The buckets smelled great, the water was clear, the roots looked like they had nutrient stain which I thought was weird but no slimy or brown roots. I ran the flush as directed and drained it at around 30hrs. I refilled at with premixed solution at a ph of 5.8 and ppm at 480. Less than 24hrs later, I dropped to 5.6 and 460. Wtf is happening?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom