Current info on coco coir. Growing 2019 info THX

• Thread starter Rikismom420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rikismom420

Rikismom420

I have read a lot of info on coco coir growing but it was dated 2015 and wanted opinion as to current growing techiques . I have auto flowers that I am going to put in and like to know ratio of mixing perlite , how to water etc...best brand that is buffered and ready to use
Thx farmer friends
Happy growing 😊😎
I have tent, all fans and 2 300wt LEDs

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Don't put too much thought into it. It's a medium like anything else. Watering is going to be more like rockwool then soil (pot size dependent). Brands of coco don't mater all too much. Cheaper stuff will need to be rinsed like bricks. I like Royal Gold Tupar. Strait out of the bag since it already has perlite and it's pretty cheap (10 bucks a bag where im at and pallets of it) and no rinse. Pure coir also works. Used Canna and Biobizz purple bag for a lot of years and works great but gets crazy expensive and not worth the money. Perlite ratio is IMO at least 20-30%. The more perlite I added the better the plants did. Got up to 80% perlite and 20% coco at one point and was fantastic but that is not realistic for hand watering.

I never once buffered coco or changed my nutes to suit it. Just fed them like I do all my drip plants and it works. Not letting it completely dry it is a must. When you first transplant tho you will want them to dry some till they really start taking off. That is usually the time you can over water them. Specially if in bigger pots. Just go by weight. water when say 20% left the first couple of waterings and increase from there. Pretty much like soil the first couple of feeds. Just let the plants tell you if you are watering too much and back off a little. If you were a soil guy it might seem like you water too much but you dont.

I also feed till runoff everytime or day (if drip). I also never give Coco plain water till it's time to flush.

This comes from a hydro/drip approach. You can also treat it like soil in big pots and amend it. It's kind of a jack of all trades medium.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Don't put too much thought into it. It's a medium like anything else. Watering is going to be more like rockwool then soil (pot size dependent). Brands of coco don't mater all too much. Cheaper stuff will need to be rinsed like bricks. I like Royal Gold Tupar. Strait out of the bag since it already has perlite and it's pretty cheap (10 bucks a bag where im at and pallets of it) and no rinse. Pure coir also works. Used Canna and Biobizz purple bag for a lot of years and works great but gets crazy expensive and not worth the money. Perlite ratio is IMO at least 20-30%. The more perlite I added the better the plants did. Got up to 80% perlite and 20% coco at one point and was fantastic but that is not realistic for hand watering.

I never once buffered coco or changed my nutes to suit it. Just fed them like I do all my drip plants and it works. Not letting it completely dry it is a must. When you first transplant tho you will want them to dry some till they really start taking off. That is usually the time you can over water them. Specially if in bigger pots. Just go by weight. water when say 20% left the first couple of waterings and increase from there. Pretty much like soil the first couple of feeds. Just let the plants tell you if you are watering too much and back off a little. If you were a soil guy it might seem like you water too much but you dont.

I also feed till runoff everytime or day (if drip). I also never give Coco plain water till it's time to flush.

This comes from a hydro/drip approach. You can also treat it like soil in big pots and amend it. It's kind of a jack of all trades medium.
I have now is coco on the bottom and FFOF on the top wth perlite. Thought the FFOF would give nutrients and the coco would drain well.not giving Nutes u til about 5 weeks and am at 3.5 weeks now..they like the 84 degrees in my tent though.uson Co2 pads....I know but I like th think they add some into.i spray it every other day...but will do coco perlite next time...learning experience but all I have left is auto...pheno expensive and all seeds are feminized..for convenience sake...😉😉 thx for info
Happy growing😊

Top Bottom