Cusick's Winter Travels: TW analogs & more..

• Thread starter Cusick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cusick

Greetings my brothers & sisters, hope everyones year is off to a good kick~!

We faced a lot of adversity in securing some new beans last year, but one day a friendly bird whispered something from a tree and after another few evenings spent in wait, a wonderful little package dropped from the sky.
After unwrapping it and peeking inside, the only remaining concern was which of the varieties to hatch first...

the stash included a slew of trainwreck hybrids, none of which had experienced much facetime on any of the sites we researched. the TW bx1 from B.H. was an easy pick, just to set the best baseline for work going forward with any of them. the cross that looked most interesting was a complex one that should surely still contain a good thump from the Wreck genetics.. labeled "RollerCoaster" the makeup is CaseyJones x (TWxActualSativa)

We only had a handful of each, so to make sure we ended up with a full box we also germed some OGK x BS22 from SOL and also some of the Cheese X DC offered by Cannacopia.

Kings01
Kings03
Kings04
C

Cusick

We were very pleased to see 20/20 emerge, with only a couple showing any signs of delay.

In total we are lookin at

6x OGK(sfv) x BS 2.2 (SOL)
6x Cheese(exodus) x D.C. ('Copia)
4x TW bx1 (B.H.)
4x CaseyJones x (TWxA.S.) (private)

Kings06
Kings08
Kings09
Kings10
C

Cusick

They were quickly beginning to crowd eachother on our starter pan, so they were all segregated to tubs by strain.

Individual smells were already becoming notable.. cells are transpiring and multiplying so rapidly in DWC, you really need to consider odor control immediately in veg.

Everything was pleasing us.. a great selection of healthy seeds is always nice to start with. Definitely appears to be some interesting phenos across the groups, though the wrecks appear to be pretty consistent.

Kings12
Kings13
Kings14
Kings15
C

Cusick

They were all started in a CFL box, different sized booster seats for each tub to ensure that they were all kissing the lights. We don't run this many seed plants in veg together very often, so it seemed extra important to try to limit internodal spacing so they would all be able to flower together without problems.

You can see where some of the leafs were burned from the CFLs in the later pics in the HPS box.. it's not pretty but it got us the results we were looking for.. a couple ugly fan leaves now, a uniform canopy later..

Most of them were topped, a few stubborn-looking types were just left alone. Also joining them and crowding these pics a bit were a few SDOGs, all but one of which turned out to be males anyways..

Vegbox03
Kings16
Kings17
C

Cusick

They were flipped after a day or two of adjusting to the HPS, booster seats readjusted, and the culling began..

The box is breathing a little easier with the extra space, and most of the specs we were admiring for profile & smell turned out to be female.. aside from an unlucky ratio on the SDOGs, we are really happy with how this run is shaping up. Kept an OGK x BS male for now, cause he was the true pick of the litter.. a citrus berry hurricane blowin down the house and stems 2x as thick as any other.

The Cheese x DCs appear to be the most varied, with some being great branchers and others remaining extremely stubborn & single-sticking it. They all stink like a rotten fruit burnt tire smoothie, I'm lovin it :party0033:

Kings19
Kings20
Kings21
C

Cusick

and bringing things mostly up to speed.. we have a boxfull that we are quite happy with.
Now we just gotta wrap up some things in the bigger box so these have room somewhere to finish proper :)

The final shakedown has left us with

3x CxDC
2x TW bx1
2x OGK x BS22 (killed a runty fem)
2x RC
1x SDOG f2

Pictured here is the broad-leafed top of one of the OGKxBS22, a solo shot of the prized RC gal, and the pair of very similar TW bx1s.

Hope you're all diggin it thus far.. definitely stick around to see how they pull through for us.

Cheers to a glorious start to 2009! :banana::party0045::rastadancing:

Kings22
Kings23
Kings24
dj.scotfree

dj.scotfree

Wow man!!! Looking good! I used to get the 6"-10" baskets...but after my last grow...I think I am going to get the small ones like yours and do a SOG....Keep grindin' hard!

PS: I LOVE YOUR STYLE OF THREADIN'

ITTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSS........M.U.R.D.A.

B

British_Hempire

Looks fabulous mate, great to see someone else working with the TW, it's one of my personal all-time faves for sure. I have 4 TW going myself at the moment, they are still in veg and they do look pretty uniform, some slight differences in leaf form are noticeable but not much, the variation becomes apparent in flower, but it isn't a huge amount of variation from what I've seen, but I haven't grown a large number to be sure.

That Rollercoaster sounds very interesting, I think I know where they came from cos I know who was growing the TW x AS, very interested to see how that one turns out, I really liked the spiciness of the Casey Jones I tried and the TW x AS is fruity so should be a nice blend. I suppose the Rollercoaster's about 50% TW genes with the rest being Thai, Nepalese and South African sativas so the potential is there for some thing special I'm sure.

C

Cusick

Yo B.H. thanks for stoppin in, I am definitely very curious to see how these two Coasters turn out.. I didn't know much about the TW x AS, was trying to look up info about the AS you used and how you thought it combined. If it takes the TW somewhere fruity it must be packin some heavy genes :) We took cuttings from a nice stocky male, so maybe we'll dig around in there a bit if they root.

Sup brother Free! Thanks much for dropping by, I didn't know you were a DWC hoodlum too.. you'll have to fill me in on what you've tried in the past. you can definitely throw some clones in the small 3" nets with minimal veg as densely as 4/sqf like people do with E&F. definitely maximizes the yields and minimizes popcorn buds.. a nice way to grow if ya got the right cut for it.

Maybe we'll do another one of these with one of these TW vars.. :party0033:

33site03
P

ProGroWannabe

Gotta watch this one play out Cusick. Bring it M.U.R.D.A.-Style baby!

M

Maverick

Nice looking plants Cusick. I have been growing Trainwreck for about 4 years now and just love to smoke it. I'm a soil grower but have seriously been considering DWC here as of late. Sure am anxious to see this grow through. Good luck to you.

C

Cusick

PGW, there should be plenty of good things to come. We like to do a lot of experimenting from seed, and also usually are working on some dialed in cuts. Not sure how we'll eventually organize the different information since some of it is more like personal beta-testing as opposed to an ordinary growshow :)

Hey Maverick, thanks for the kind words. I think we did about 10 grows in soil before switching to hydro. Had fewer bug problems that summer and since then have rarely strayed from the DWC. We are currently foolin with a little coco and some soil/coco mixes, and also considering trying some different style hydro grows. But most of the current staples are all still runnin in tubs & buckets.

So we got a few things here. The first three are from the production shop where we do more standard clone runs. There are 2 shots of the White Mustang and then the pair of tops pictured are from a supersweet orangey Ice spec.
Then we've got two from the seedbox, the first being an emerging CxDC top and then the progression of the RC as pictured earlier in the thread here.

Maybe one of these days we'll get some lights-out shots :) Cheers for stoppin by!
Till next time ..... P&L :bong-hits:

Bush40
Bush41
Bush43
Kings25
Kings26
A

abirdintheair

looking damn good cusick, those 'coasters should take you for a ride, beware of the funk.

C

Cusick

The Funk is right, the mixup of smells in this box is pretty wicked.

The wrecks are really astringent, heavy citrusy-pine based. They are much more fluffy for now, but piling up quick. The coasters are super dense, tight little stacked greaseballs. Much sweeter orange ripeness to the bouquet.

Kings27
Kings28
Kings30
Kings31
Kings32
C

Cusick

the first picture shows the only SDOG(f2) we came up with.. it was the weakest looking spec in the bunch, but we're glad to have saved her cause she has a pretty solid lemony chem odor to her. heard good things about these, so hopefully she'll be worth the low yield.

and the OGKxBS and CheesexDC are starting to put on a bit more weight as well. Pretty lush vegetation on both varieties, maybe a couple phenos represented of each. Aside from vigour, the differences are only slightly notable for now. They each seem to feed a little different, which has made keeping eveything in check a bit difficult.

Kings33
Kings34
Kings35
Kings37
Kings36
Kings38
Kings39
C

Cusick

a look at the cramped quarters

Looking at the overall box, you can see that the fan is jammed in pretty tight and so the rapid airflow has things a little dry overall. Breaking and tying them down has kept it all workable, but we won't really expect to see the real results from any of these until some clones are run. Just got roots from the couple we took of each, so we're good as far as preservation of any that seem worth another look.

Kings40
A

abirdintheair

:clapping:clapping:clapping you derserve a round of applause, reppin hard.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

lookin killer cusick, some real murda shit. :muscle
can't wait to see them blow up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom