Cutting Fanleaves to Open Canopy... Scrog?

• Thread starter robeartobrenton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

robeartobrenton

I am 27 days into flowering on my SCROG and i am starting to have a crowding issue with my Fan leavs.. they are covering a lot of the flowers!

- from what i understand the nutrients are supposed to draw from the fan leaves to the buds so i am afraid to start cutting fan leaves...

my newb question is... should i cut some of these fan leaves out of the top of my scrog to open up some light to the lower branches?

MG_8119.jpg
MG_8116.jpg
MG_8113.jpg

Thanks!!

:sun2:

R

R. Face

Hey man, ill give you my personal opinion...i know alot of peeps ill say to never mess with the fans, but IF its in the way, and i try to tuck it away, and it just flops back over...ill cut it off....

I notice if i dont, the sites that are shaded sometimes turn yellow and dont produce as much, but when i pluck that leaf off, the bud takes off..Im sure the plant doesnt like it, but when your thinking about the flowers, IMO one leaf for a nice bud, ill risk that.

Also, plucking off fans that are bunched together can be good to to avoid the dreaded PM, gotta keep that air flow going between them..

B

Bama

I kind of have the same issue and I don't mess with the fans at all. I might try and tuck them out of the way as best as possible.

D

DoubleDub

yeah if the nug isn't seeing any light it most likely will turn out sub par. Some strins even produce wierd looking growth from lack of light. but only take off whats necessary because the big ass leaf is growin the nug right above it!

M

mrdizzle

dude pluck away, you will be kicking yourself at harvest time with your 6 nice kolas and the rest is all yellow larfy fluff. I have learned my lesson on scrog without plucking. fan leaves are for grabbin sun, outdoors, when for cloudy days when the sun doesnt sit directly 1ft above it for 12/12 perfect hours for 2 straight months like it does indoor.

Im not saying leave your plant just buds and stems, but let the light shine

N

nor cali farmer

ive been plucking for 30 some years and never had a problem. but when i left them or got lazy had sub par buds. just my 2 cents peace thc joe

F

Foxfarmfreak

looks like I got spend a few hours pluckin' tonight....Thanks for the Question Robearto, I was gonna ask the same thing today, Funny how that works out, and Thanks for all the replies, been tuckin' for 2 weeks, today we are poodlin' those bitches.....

Peace FFF:harvest:

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
It's been a day of learning for me as well. I have always been conservative on this. Only a few and when there were there is plenty of leaves to catch the light beneath. If it leaves a spot that light can get through I don't pluck it.

How heavy are you guys pluckin'and when?

N

naynay

I was wondering the same thing. I was tucking but now I'm gonna cut the big "light blockers" I'm just gonna do minimal and see how it goes.

Top Bottom