Damien's Photo Grow: Malawi X Panama Edition

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
damien50

damien50

Hey Dude... You need to flood them with Nutes and Cal-Mag... can't you see those yellow leaves?? :mushtache: Actually, they look great!! I love how Sativa's lost their leaves and everyone freaks out!! You have done a great job and I'm impressed. Some of mine are getting ready for their big day, but the Sativa's still have a little ways to go (even though I think they are pretty big already). I'm having a lot of issues with stuff falling over and the grow is starting to look like a Vietnamese Punji Stick trap, with all of the bamboo sticking up trying to support stuff. I noticed some general leaf yellowing and that is telling me that it's getting closer.

It feels right letting them yellow and the smoke from the popcorn I've been trimming has been cleaner and cleaner. Changing the light schedule caused a lot of fattening and I don't believe I'll see a decrease in yield at all. At this point I'm letting two phenos go until July 3rd while the others ripen even more.

You'll have to get us more pics of your grow.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have one plant that looks about ready, although it has only been about 7 weeks. A few of the buds are starting to foxtail a little, although that might be an effect from TRIA... if it grows out the way it is growing, it could be massive but I don't expect the buds to stack up. I'll try to get some pics, although it's kind of a jumble with everything falling over. It stinks badly, more than it has in previous grows. I don't know if it's the strains that I'm growing this time, but it is a kind of sickly sweet smell that hits you in waves despite a strong negative pressure fan drawing the smell out (an old furnace blower...works great!). Since I'm growing a couple different strains (Pure Sativas and a few hybrid Indicas), I will probably have a staggered harvest, leaving the Malawi and Matanuska strains go until they run out of power. I have a Jack Herer that grew nicely that I'm looking forward to trying, as well as Black Diesel and Train Wreck. I think there is also a Gorilla Glue 4 in there. I think that is it. I have a nice seed selection for the next grow if it ever arrives, concentrating on Indicas for a change.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It feels right letting them yellow and the smoke from the popcorn I've been trimming has been cleaner and cleaner. Changing the light schedule caused a lot of fattening and I don't believe I'll see a decrease in yield at all. At this point I'm letting two phenos go until July 3rd while the others ripen even more.

You'll have to get us more pics of your grow.
I went to the grow site and took a few new pics for you. Like I said, things in the center are getting jumbled. The Malawi turned into a 3 1/2 headed hydra and grew tall. These are at 7 weeks flowering. The other single tall Sativa was either train wreck or Gorilla Glue. The buds that have a few little tips, the beginning of foxtailing? It's a Black Diesel, I'm pretty sure although I have a train wreck in there as well and I can't remember which is which. Short term memory issues.:cool: The Matanuska Thunder, which is in the back left corner, didn't do as well, possibly because of damage from the spider mites earlier in it's life, or possibly because I'm using a 10K halide bulb on them instead of the usual 3K bulb I usually use. The ones under the HPS seem larger and more robust, but the mites were the question in the equation since that plant was pretty hard hit. The 10K bulb is supposed to be used, according to legend, at the end of flowering, but I used it from veg thru flowering. I used another halide, 6K, for vegging and a HPS for flowering, and it seems to have made a big difference. I guess I'm not too old to learn, and the 10K bulbs seem great for vegging but I'm not impressed with their flowering. It's only recommended for the last week or two, and now I know why. Here's the pics:

20190622 153751
20190622 153818
20190622 153935
20190622 154139
20190622 153833
20190622 153917
20190622 154157
Last edited:
damien50

damien50

Finally found my USB microscope. Here are some trich shots. I've flushed the plants and begun a plain phed watering schedule until Wednesday since they were only getting 250ppm of nutrients. Some trichomes beginning to amber and honestly I believe the trichomes are even cloudier but the microscope light is bright

IPC 2019 06 242041123620
IPC 2019 06 242041050310
IPC 2019 06 242040275020
IPC 2019 06 242040204220
IPC 2019 06 242040015669
IPC 2019 06 242038365050
IPC 2019 06 242037535910
H

hawkman

Day 3
Coco coir - 580ppm/5.8 ph
Liquid Karma/Pure Blend Pro Hydro
77-80f Leaf Surface Temp
74-77% RH
14350lux/270 PPFD 3000k Average
12" Light Height

So I amended my journal format because I don't measure ambient temperature, though the strips are at 75f on average, rather I use an IR gun to adjust my controller to hit 77-80f on my leaves. My fan is strong and lowers leaf temps to 68f if I leave my controller at 80f rather than 82-86f.

I located a website to convert my lux output, 14350lx on average from leaf level, to umols hence the average 270 PPFD. Though measuring the light on the plants near the walls, they hit around 14700lx whereas the middle plants are around 14000lx. Either way I had my light way too dim before talking and researching what was discussed in that thread.

The last seed did germinate but it pushed the cotyledon out but the tap root was still in the seed so I covered it up and watered it. Otherwise everyone is growing fine since I adjusted the driver intensity and the color is looking fine so I know I didn't mess up yet.

View attachment 861905 View attachment 861906 View attachment 861907 View attachment 861908 View attachment 861909
nice light strips !!!

damien50

damien50

Day 77 - 11th Week of Flowering

Well thanks everyone for following, liking, commenting, etc. I've continued plain water flushing but two phenos still won't fade lol.

The net was really good at hiding all the foot long colas. I removed the net and watched several branches fall and break their stems. I enjoyed the grow and they were all productive phenos that are making sweet lemon candy smells with plenty of resin and oil.

Here are final pictures while I let them dry on the vine for a few weeks.

Thanks @Srenots @Buzzer777 @Jimster @MIMedGrower @Funk junky @PlumberSoCal @Ina

Sorry if I missed anyone

IMG 20190627 191423290
IMG 20190627 191414992
IMG 20190627 190936008
IMG 20190627 190740887
IMG 20190627 190530797
IMG 20190627 190227528
IMG 20190627 190036436

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Well thanks everyone for following, liking, commenting, etc. I've continued plain water flushing but two phenos still won't fade lol.

The net was really good at hiding all the foot long colas. I removed the net and watched several branches fall and break their stems. I enjoyed the grow and they were all productive phenos that are making sweet lemon candy smells with plenty of resin and oil.

Sorry if I missed anyone

View attachment 877941View attachment 877942View attachment 877943View attachment 877944View attachment 877945View attachment 877946View attachment 877947
Damn NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy!

damien50

damien50

Damn NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy!

Thanks! You definitely helped.

Wow! Fantastic results. Looking foward to the smoke report eventually. They look like my kind of flowers. Citrus sativas good :)

Smoking on a lemon thai hybrid as i write this.

Thanks! If the smoke is right, which from sampling bud it is, this will be my go to. I'll tag you for that report

Things are looking pretty damn good! You done good, kid!

Thanks! You helped a lot too.

H

hawkman

Sorry if I missed anyone

View attachment 877941View attachment 877942View attachment 877943View attachment 877944View attachment 877945View attachment 877946View attachment 877947
' make sure you give us a smoke report !!! and yield numbers - wanting to grow some of "Ace Seeds" genetics

Funk junky

Funk junky

Have ace been following your grow? Would not be surprised if they would like to use some of those photos.
Looks quite stabilised I would expect the longer phenotypes to be quite racy.
One of the problems I have is everything has to come down at once, had neighbours call landlord on me so my tent doubles as drying room.
Not ideal last run I the quickest finisher was slightly overcooked waiting for the late one. Pulled the late one a couple of days early was very pleased.
Last couple of runs I have been hanging plants whole, if I have this problem again I will chop the early finisher branch by branch. And keep late ones as whole plant cut at base.
When hanging whole they don’t die straight away, my friend commented that I had a lot of amber trichs. When I chopped just a few were amber.
So I see this as a way round my dilemma I think.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks! You definitely helped.

Thanks! If the smoke is right, which from sampling bud it is, this will be my go to. I'll tag you for that report

Thanks! You helped a lot too.
On the coat tails of your harvest, I took a long look at my old school Matanuska Thunderf**ks and they are getting ready to come down as well. I'm a little surprised that they finished so quickly, just a little over 9 weeks. I had some issues with spider mites earlier, so maybe that is some of it. The fan leaves are starting to yellow and I'm getting the purples on some of the buds as they mature. Everything is snapping and getting messy, so I think it might be close to the end. I'll give it another week, then say goodnight. I think the 10K finishing bulb might be responsible for their faster finish, as the majority o the room has more HPS color, just the 2 that got mostly the 10K MH matured so quickly
The Malawi are still going strong and are a very dark green, sitting in the area between the HPS and the 10K bulb. I'll try to keep you posted.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I wouldn’t add n . Personally I would give a quick flush to remove excess salts then try to lower the n if possible and up potassium, I would say those Burt tips is not nute burn but start of a potassium deficiency.
I also find since I started using leds I have to use calcium more or less throughout the grow.
When growing tropical sativas most breeders will tell you too be easy on the nutrients especially nitrogen.
I grow in soil though so not sure about coco? I believe most of the companies sell an a and b solution?
I’m sure ace seeds would be able to help if you if you e-mail them.
If it was me I would treat your thread as a third party for legal reasons and see if they can take a look at the thread?
Just an idea would like see if anyone else thinks I’m right with the nutrients?
Where have you learned about calcium and leds? Always trying to improve my grow and I use led's and had a heck of a time with a sativa (just harvested) that I want to try again. Calcium deficiency shows as brown tips? How can you tell difference between over nutes and calcium? I see brown tips and think over fertilize. Thanks

damien50

damien50

Where have you learned about calcium and leds? Always trying to improve my grow and I use led's and had a heck of a time with a sativa (just harvested) that I want to try again. Calcium deficiency shows as brown tips? How can you tell difference between over nutes and calcium? I see brown tips and think over fertilize. Thanks

Because of the limited spectrums of some LEDs it doesn't allow for the plant to generate enough calcium. Calcium issues are like rust spots, yellow or purple shoots, weak stems and some other stuff.

Top Bottom