Dark Green, Clawing leaves, bone dry soil

• Thread starter Ind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ind

Ind

Oh I battle mother nature every year. Covering, leaf blowing, you name it... just an FYI, starting earlier isn't going to mean they finish any sooner unless they're autos... or if you manipulate them in some way to flip to flower before they naturally flip sometime after the summer solstice, when exactly is strain dependant... I usually see signs of impending flower around 3 weeks after the solstice in most strains it seems. They will just be larger plants due to the longer veg.
Do you know of a way to manipulate them to make them flower earlier than usual? I just don't want to deal with another October like we had last year. The constant babysitting because of the wild temp fluctuations was a nightmare. I'm thinking I could cover them with some kind of breathable dark fabric for 24 hours...?

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Do you know of a way to manipulate them to make them flower earlier than usual? I just don't want to deal with another October like we had last year. The constant babysitting because of the wild temp fluctuations was a nightmare. I'm thinking I could cover them with some kind of breathable dark fabric for 24 hours...?
Some form of 12/12 seems to be it for photos. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Ind
TSD

TSD

You can flip them inside to 12 hours, some people cover them if they're already outside... but if the difference in hours is a lot, there's always a chance of that backfiring, causing them to herm or reveg.... I've never personally done it for those reasons.

Ind

Ind

You can flip them inside to 12 hours, some people cover them if they're already outside... but if the difference in hours is a lot, there's always a chance of that backfiring, causing them to herm or reveg.... I've never personally done it for those reasons.
No way to move them indoors since they're going in the ground. Thanks though! I guess I'll just pray this fall isn't as bad as last fall.

Ind

Ind

Distilled and RO are almost identical. If RO filters are in good ahale a 4 stage will be 1-2ppm and distilled should be 0.S
I read that letting tap water sit out removes chlorine. So I tested the PPM of water I set out vs. freshly poured tap water. The PPM of the water that is sitting out is now higher. How does this make sense? I thought that by chlorine evaporating it would lower the PPM...?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I read that letting tap water sit out removes chlorine. So I tested the PPM of water I set out vs. freshly poured tap water. The PPM of the water that is sitting out is now higher. How does this make sense? I thought that by chlorine evaporating it would lower the PPM...?
Due to evaporation… and you heard wrong. Almost all water supplies are chloramine now… it will stay in water for weeks sitting out even with aeration

FACT: Chlorine is a micronutrient. Unless brewing teas it’s something you don’t even need to consider as the max allowance in drinking water is 4ppm and most water supplies sit around 1ppm.

This is another case of misinformation passed along from a long misunderstanding. In higher amounts it can harm plant and microbes.

The funny part is many worry about it then go and add things like UC roots or other root products that contain almost the identical substance at even much higher doses.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

@Aqua Man So, I have a question that may be related. When I set out a jug of tap water, after many hours, bubbles form at the sides of the container. I have assumed those bubbles are gas(es) leaving the water. Is that assumption accurate?

Ind

Ind

Due to evaporation… and you heard wrong. Almost all water supplies are chloramine now… it will stay in water for weeks sitting out even with aeration

FACT: Chlorine is a micronutrient. Unless brewing teas it’s something you don’t even need to consider as the max allowance in drinking water is 4ppm and most water supplies sit around 1ppm.

This is another case of misinformation passed along from a long misunderstanding. In higher amounts it can harm plant and microbes.

The funny part is many worry about it then go and add things like UC roots or other root products that contain almost the identical substance at even much higher doses.
So, is using tap water bad? My PPM reads 165

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

@Aqua Man So, I have a question that may be related. When I set out a jug of tap water, after many hours, bubbles form at the sides of the container. I have assumed those bubbles are gas(es) leaving the water. Is that assumption accurate?
When you draw a glass of cold water from your faucet and allow it to warm to room temperature, nitrogen and oxygen slowly come out of solution, with tiny bubbles forming and coalescing at sites of microscopic imperfections on the glass. If the atmospheric pressure happens to be falling as the water warms, the equilibrium between gas molecules leaving and joining the air/water interface becomes unbalanced and tips in favor of them leaving the water, which causes even more gas to come out of solution. Hence bubbles along the insides of your water glass.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

What about letting it sit a day to get to room temperature of the grow room?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It could be. A lot depends on surface tension when it comes to bubbles but our water supply is under pressure and that means gasses are in a sense forced into the water. Once out of the pressurized system gasses try to escape.

An easy example is co2 in pop… as soon as you open it and relieve the pressure bubbles of gasses form and escape the water.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Measuring the ppm in a solution is not a chlorine test. Even if your water contained old fashioned chlorine, leaving it out to evaporate would raise the ppm.

Ind

Ind

Measuring the ppm in a solution is not a chlorine test. Even if your water contained old fashioned chlorine, leaving it out to evaporate would raise the ppm.
I realize a PPM test is not testing how much chlorine is in the water, I just thought that adding chlorine to water would increase the PPM, and thus, if it evaporated from the water this would lower the PPM. How does one determine if their tap water is safe to use for their plants?

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I realize a PPM test is not testing how much chlorine is in the water, I just thought that adding chlorine to water would increase the PPM, and thus, if it evaporated from the water this would lower the PPM. How does one determine if their tap water is safe to use for their plants?
Do a search on your city’s web site. Or google “cityname water quality”.

Assuming you aren’t on your own well, river, or lake.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah with the pom content of chlorine being so low… like 1ppm you will never be able to see the ppm change.

As above google your local water report. If you post it i can break it down for you

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yeah with the pom content of chlorine being so low… like 1ppm you will never be able to see the ppm change.

As above google your local water report. If you post it i can break it down for you
Really wish i could get a water report where im at but its well water so fat chance of that ever happening. Sucks too cause i have no idea how much of anything is in my water. Last time i tested it, it was like 520ppm. My guess was a lot of that is calcium but idfk lmao.

Ind

Ind

Thats going to be a mess and a big challenge to get them the proper nutrients. In coco you need big pots if going with amendments to feed them.

understating your media is the key to watering and you mixed it up with a lot of different kinds and going with slow release and organics.
you now need to treat this like an organic soil grow with higher frequency watering needs.

you can’t water with lots of runoff as typical coco and synthetic does. If you do you will be washing all of your nutrients out of your media.

On the otherhand it depends on how much you’ve added in terms of amendments… you could see toxicity if you added to much and dont get some runoff.

basically you have created a yourself a fair challenge mixing all those things together.

nevermind your ph buffering challenges to follow
The plants are looking good. Just been watering with pHed tap water. I did find a pollen sack just now on one of my plants. Just one sack on one plant that looks otherwise female. So I removed it and washed my hands. The plants are all in the same tent together and have been on an 18/6 light cycle their entire short lives. They're not very old, so I don't understand how one created a pollen sack so quickly. There are no flowers of course on any of them but now I am worried everyone is contaminated with pollen. What should I do?

Latest posts

Top Bottom