Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles... help

• Thread starter Jswizz420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jswizz420

Jswizz420

Hello everyone,
I’m currently running my first indoor grow. I am using a 4x8 tent with two 1000 watt mh/Hps bulbs. Currently HPS. The plant that is furthest into flowering is showing some signs of either a disease or nutrient deficiency. This plant is in like 70% coco, 20% perlite, and about 10% soil. I’ve been using the fox farm nutrient trio, cal mag, and PH balancing the water every time.
I initially thought it was a calcium deficiency but increasing the cal mag didn’t help. Now I am getting to the point where I need to flush the plant and I don’t really know what to do.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
P.S. the plants are currently under the HPS light which changes the color in pictures. I tried taking one with flash to make it more clear.

Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help
Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help 2
Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help 3
Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help 4
Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help 5
Dark green fan leaves with light brown freckles help 6
Jswizz420

Jswizz420

I didn’t notice any thrips and it only seems to be affecting this plant, none of the other 10. It this what a leaf with thrips looks like?

3E6617ED 1CDC 4D9F 8C0A A89D64F40D3C
2ED52CD4 16D8 4C9B BFC3 4C9F016AA2A4
Harvard

Harvard

No don’t look like thrips, looks like what I got last fall outside. Whitefly maybe?

Harvard

Harvard

It does look like thrip damage, but I don’t see any in his pic.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That is calcium deficiency. Fox farm bloom nutes have a lot of phosphorus, and if you use too much and too much Ca, the Calcium can bond to the phosphorus forming calcium phosphate, which is insoluble and precipitates out of solution. So you end up with a deficiency of each.

Recommendation would be to rinse the coco with a mild solution of base nutrients, 3x the volume of the pot. And leave the tiger bloom out.
After rinsing, feed them a balanced base nutrient, and stick to a vegetative formula with low Phosphorus. Im really not a fan of tiger bloom, or FF trio in general. I can't count how many help threads start out by listing that nutrient line..

Last edited:
Jswizz420

Jswizz420

That is calcium deficiency. Fox farm bloom nutes have a lot of phosphorus, and if you use too much and too much Ca, the Calcium can bond to the phosphorus forming calcium phosphate, which is insoluble and precipitates out of solution. So you end up with a deficiency of each.

Recommendation would be to rinse the coco with a mild solution of base nutrients, 3x the volume of the pot. And leave the tiger bloom out.
After rinsing, feed them a balanced base nutrient, and stick to a vegetative formula with low Phosphorus. Im really not a fan of tiger bloom, or FF trio in general. I can't count how many help threads start out by listing that nutrient line..
This was so informative, thank you! If you don’t mind me asking, what you mean when you say a mild solution of base nutrients? Also, is there another brand of nutes that you would recommend instead?

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

I’ll put my two sense in. Flora flex makes excellent nutrients. Jacks as well. I run coco and I have the best luck with no additional organic input and solid proven salt nutrient lines.

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

@Jswizz420 sounds like you should check out botanicare pure blend pro. Doesn't get much easier while remaining 99% organic
I’ve run no til greenhouses and most “organic” line ups. As soon as I started running salts I never looked back. Maybe it’s the stage of life I’m in 😌 where consistency in production is numero uno.
I do miss organics but I got a backyard to play in in that regard.
Production setting ——> salt/coco for the win

Latest posts

Top Bottom