Dark Green Leaves.. Or Not?

• Thread starter Wonderwaffle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wonderwaffle

Wonderwaffle

Hey guys. First time growing and I noticed that the bottom leaves were a lighter green, while these top ones have turned into a darker green. It seems to be growing okay, and topped my first node which have been growing fine, and the leaves are getting larger. Just not sure if it's considered <i> too green. </i>
The ph was mid 7's, hence the necrotic bottom leaves but I dropped that down last night with aluminum sulfate, cut off those leaves, and today did a flush with sledgehammer and reapplied newts.

Dark green leaves or not
Dark green leaves or not 2
Dark green leaves or not 3
Give it a look and please give me some advice. Couldn't really find any other threads with an entirely similar situation. Buddies say they look fine but I'd like to get a final word from a community.

Wonderwaffle

Wonderwaffle

first one looks hungry. but ill let the pros chime in.. they w ill want to know what you are growing in, dirt, etc.. growing environment.. helps them interpret the problems.

chirs.
It's all the same plant.

I'm using miracle-gro. Growing in a cardboard box with aluminum foil on the inside. Using an air purifier for circulation and a small desktop fan to blow on the plant.
Light is a 150w LED ufo I got on ebay for $25. (Just started using it a few days ago)
Along with two 5500 kelvin cfls I got from walmart.

jipp

jipp

Is miracle gro really that bad? I thought these plants were known for growing anywhere.
from what little i know they include time release ferts etc..
other than that i do not know why its no good. good question.

chris.

jipp

jipp

i found this on the web. seems like its legit reason.. from a logic stand point.

quoted from soem grow forum, my bad!

It's because of the time-released ferts. The problems with the time-released ferts are:

- It can burn the roots and over-feed young sprouts because it gives them ferts when they should not be getting any ferts at all.

- You cannot control the type of fert or dosage, you get whatever comes mixed in already and released based on a schedule you didn't set.

- You definitely aren't getting separate veg ferts for veg stage and flower ferts for flower stage

- HID lighting in particular can cause the pellets to dissolve faster than they were designed, so that you get too much fert even by Miracle-Gro's calendar

- Those pellets can take a long time to dissolve, so if you are having problems you can't flush to clean your soil

There definitely are some MJ growers who use Miracle Gro with no problems. But there are many more who do have the above problems, so why use a product with so many potential disadvantages that are hard to fix?

Wonderwaffle

Wonderwaffle

i found this on the web. seems like its legit reason.. from a logic stand point.

quoted from soem grow forum, my bad!

It's because of the time-released ferts. The problems with the time-released ferts are:

- It can burn the roots and over-feed young sprouts because it gives them ferts when they should not be getting any ferts at all.

- You cannot control the type of fert or dosage, you get whatever comes mixed in already and released based on a schedule you didn't set.

- You definitely aren't getting separate veg ferts for veg stage and flower ferts for flower stage

- HID lighting in particular can cause the pellets to dissolve faster than they were designed, so that you get too much fert even by Miracle-Gro's calendar

- Those pellets can take a long time to dissolve, so if you are having problems you can't flush to clean your soil

There definitely are some MJ growers who use Miracle Gro with no problems. But there are many more who do have the above problems, so why use a product with so many potential disadvantages that are hard to fix?

Indeed, it makes sense. Though would dark green leaves be a sign of nitrogen toxicity? And are these leaves actually that dark? It's growing fine, stem is hardy. At the same time I don't know how fast these things will grow compared to this grow session.

jipp

jipp

@rmoltis is a dirt guy, justice is hydro i believe i just saw him post so i tagged him.. . and vanish on us hah probably passed out on the couch with a dab in his hand.

any thoughts?
chris.

justiceman

justiceman

N toxicity and possibly over watered just like stated above. Yup it's pretty easy to give too much N while they are small. That's why your leaves are beginning to curl down and inwards. I would just give her plain water for now so the soil can mellow out and start feeding her in maybe a week or so.

I can't speak on if aluminum sulfate is the best thing to use for pH down, but that being said I don't believe you really need it with that soil. Since MG has time release ferts in it I'm guessing it has enough nutrition to last probably 2-3 weeks from the start? Hard to say since I've never used it.

Wonderwaffle

Wonderwaffle

N toxicity and possibly over watered just like stated above. Yup it's pretty easy to give too much N while they are small. That's why your leaves are beginning to curl down and inwards. I would just give her plain water for now so the soil can mellow out and start feeding her in maybe a week or so.

I can't speak on if aluminum sulfate is the best thing to use for pH down, but that being said I don't believe you really need it with that soil. Since MG has time release ferts in it I'm guessing it has enough nutrition to last probably 2-3 weeks from the start? Hard to say since I've never used it.

It's actually about 5 weeks old. I didn't even plan on getting serious and it was just relying on sunlight from the window sill (about 6 hours direct light tops) and soil nutes for the first 3 weeks. It wasn't making many leaves and just grew tall until I got the proper lighting. Just about a week ago did I actually get serious with this.
Today was the first time I actually dosed with Fox Farms nutes.

Now not sure if I should leave it alone and let the soil dry out, or flush it some more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom