Day 16 of seedling. Best LUX and or PPFD readings for this stage?

• Thread starter PerfecTrader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Lookin for some advice and thanks much in advance. 1st time grow so kinda flyin by the seat of my pants. Have heard many different answers about proper LUX readings to ensure light strenght and height are optimal. Attached are my 4 young girls and I was wondering if my light height and intensity are ideal for now.

Light is HLG Blackbird on 2nd lowest setting
Height is 33" from top of leaves
All 4 plants now have 3rd set(1st 5 finger) but the 2 chem cookies seem about 2-3 days further along than the 2 white widow
LUX reads 9500-10000 here

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Day 16 of seedling best lux and or ppfd readings for this stage
freezeland2

freezeland2

That’s good and you could probably go up to 12,000. Watch the watering. They look a little over watered.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

OK roger that and thanks much brotha. Gonna move light down a few inches till achieve 12000ish. Yeah I'm keeping an eye on the watering. I went from seedling dose every other day to feedings till small run-off twice a day and that was to start today. I may be starting to threat them "too" hydro-ish and was thinking they were ready. Please do let me know if I'm cray to being watering like this. The medium is Cloud Coirs 50/50 coco/perl

2Bad

2Bad

OK roger that and thanks much brotha. Gonna move light down a few inches till achieve 12000ish. Yeah I'm keeping an eye on the watering. I went from seedling dose every other day to feedings till small run-off twice a day and that was to start today. I may be starting to threat them "too" hydro-ish and was thinking they were ready. Please do let me know if I'm cray to being watering like this. The medium is Cloud Coirs 50/50 coco/perl
You should be good with watering that much in coco. Maybe not enough airflow? How much are the leaves moving? Also seems like not enough light

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Thanks much for the reply @2Bad and hopin you can aid me a bit further. What exactly do you mean by not enough airflow? And what makes you think might not be enough light? I've wondered the same thing every day since day 1 😆 but have been fearful of the rookie mistake of frying them. Do you think it appropriate to use the "hand-test" with the distance from light to leaves? This light doesn't seem very hot on the 2nd lowest setting (out of I believe 7) and even at 8-12" it barely seems warm at all.
I can't afford a proper/accurate Light Meter at the moment and just have the Photone app and PPFD meter.

Do you think I should drop light distance, turn light up, both or maybe nothing since they aren't showing any signs of major deficiencies?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

You should be good with watering that much in coco. Maybe not enough airflow? How much are the leaves moving? Also seems like not enough lighy

You should be good with watering that much in coco. Maybe not enough airflow? How much are the leaves moving? Also seems like not enough light
Ahh "airflow" like leaves moving. So I have a oscillating fan I use on them but have been keeping it on and off for an hour or 2 at a time. Should I keep the fan on all the time now? Even when dark?

2Bad

2Bad

Ahh "airflow" like leaves moving. So I have a oscillating fan I use on them but have been keeping it on and off for an hour or 2 at a time. Should I keep the fan on all the time now? Even when dark?
Yes constant airflow even at lights out when your doing high fertigation. As for light you want them to be slightly praying the new tops should be pointing up to the light but NOT all the way. When its all the way pointed at the light you've reached its tolerance. Sometimes when you reach tolerance too you'll see slight redding on the node corners. It's easily fixable. So for now increase the light by dropping it about 12 inches and see how much they pray the next day. I'm a noob but this is what i've learned from experience. My first grow turned out to be amazing so I mean i'm kinda big deal. LMAO JK but forreal my first grow was firee.

Edit: good airflow is when all the leaves are ruffled but the branches aren't moving

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

Honestly I did high fertigation for my first grow. Got algae and was told it can mess with the ph so on my new grow i'm just doing watering when like 50% dry (every other day in my solos) and if I get algae again i'm going to use pond enzymes.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

You should be good with watering that much in coco. Maybe not enough airflow? How much are the leaves moving? Also seems

Yes constant airflow even at lights out when your doing high fertigation. As for light you want them to be slightly praying the new tops should be pointing up to the light but NOT all the way. When its all the way pointed at the light you've reached its tolerance. Sometimes when you reach tolerance too you'll see slight redding on the node corners. It's easily fixable. So for now increase the light by dropping it about 12 inches and see how much they pray the next day. I'm a noob but this is what i've learned from experience. My first grow turned out to be amazing so I mean i'm kinda big deal. LMAO JK but forreal my first grow was firee.

Edit: good airflow is when all the leaves are ruffled but the branches aren't moving
wow awesome stuff bud. I am gonna drop lights now and hope for some praying. All I've done is "droop" albeit looking healthy somehow. Thanks again

2Bad

2Bad

Hey how's it going! Update pics? What day are they from germination?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

You must have ESP2 @2Bad cause I'm literally pacing trying to rhink of how to ask for help 😆

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Hey how's it going! Update pics? What day are they from germination?
Appreciate ya asking brotha. Ok so just 1 bonehead move after another. Today is day 20 from germ.

Saturday I transplanted to 3g fabrics and found out the White Widows could have used 3-7 more days to develop better roots. The 1st kinda crumbled on me a bit but the 2nd fell the heck apart pretty bad and I didn't even get the roots really where I wanted them to go because the whole kept filling and I was stuck with 2 hands holding the poor girl and semi-panicked but made best of it. The 2 Chem Cookies took it like champs though so I ran with it. I fed them what I've been feeding them but obviously this time the most ever have since in large pots.

Mixed 2ml of each AN nute + 1ml cal-mag and fed them 2cups each with a water sprayer and did like 8" diameter and in but obviously no run-off. Then I got high 😆 and somewhere along the way turned my light up a click or 2. Next thing I know a couple hours later the tent is 91+ and I thought I fried them. One widow looks droopy and sad and dry and 1 chem cookie started acting "crispy" like the leaves were retreating due to heat stress. I live in Arizona and am soon going to battle serious heat issues. I have no way of cooling but just made an offer on a honeywell 14k btu that retails $625 and she wants $120 for it. I'm hoping that would solve things but since I don't have intake I am struggling with the t6, how to use it properly, and maintaining temps and RH.

That being said I was going to not water at all today. I've heard the they can take a good 3-7 days to recover from transplant. Do you see anything I should be doing differently?

2Bad

2Bad

Yep transplanted a bit too soon but it's all good I think. Roots can't grow into dry soil. Water again after 24 hours just so you can water the dry coco and get run-off. I see the droop it will hopefully recover.. is the pot taller/closer to the light? it's either from transplanting (most likely) or from light . Water when the soil is about 60 percent wet. Keep doing what you been doing you'll be good.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Yep transplanted a bit too soon but it's all good I think. Roots can't grow into dry soil. Water again after 24 hours just so you can water the dry coco and get run-off. I see the droop it will hopefully recover.. is the pot taller/closer to the light? it's either from transplanting (most likely) or from light . Water when the soil is about 60 percent wet. Keep doing what you been doing you'll be good.
Awesome help brotha. Really what I needed. Will update in few days and thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom