Day 51, should I start flush? 1st timer, help appreciated

• Thread starter CannabinoidCarson33
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Hello everyone. Yep, its getting close to that time... Its my first grow and Im as excited as a little kid on christmas eve over the tent full of bud I have weeks away from harvest.

I know many of my buds have issues, (foxtaliling, nute burn, etc) but I'm learning from my mistakes and plan on not making the same ones twice.

My question is, would day 52 be a good time to start a flush? All my plants were fed nutrients and "overdrive" on day 50, and wanted to do a 2 week flush but if they are not ready in 2 weeks, do I just continue to flush and will they be okay? I know I should be judging by trichomes color. I have a jewelers loop coming in a few days online. Any advice is appreciated.
Also, while im here... what do I need to do during drying, trimming, and curing to ensure my buds will be enjoyable and not taste like grass or hay? I hear that it can be a serious problem and is very common. Id like to learn to do it correctly the 1st time, and if anyone is willing to teach me, I would MORE than appreciate it and would soak up the info like a sponge (a rockwool sponge of course)
Thanks everyone!

-Carson

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Yes, I know the plant in the back left is burned... I trimmed off all the burned stuff today (there was a lot) and flushed it last week but its obviously way too late. What should/can I do to help it this late in flower? Thx everyone!

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

We will need some pics. Also the strain. And maybe pics of the trichomes if you can manage

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

We will need some pics. Also the strain. And maybe pics of the trichomes if you can manage
Im growing gelato 33 x purple punch and 1 slurricane...
20210514 095509
20210509 092214

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Thanks for the help. I can take a few more pics when its lights on tomorrow, but I have nothing to get in closer and look at the trichome color. I've ordered a jeweler's loop but Idk how well it will work.

william76

william76

Thanks for the help. I can take a few more pics when its lights on tomorrow, but I have nothing to get in closer and look at the trichome color. I've ordered a jeweler's loop but Idk how well it will work.
Jewellers loupe works fine,I'd start flushing now,plan for 2 weeks,u may hav to cut a few days early or late,either is fine,76

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I read a paper from Guelph U that said flushing does nothing.

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

I read a paper from Guelph U that said flushing does nothing.
What?! I've now hear this from you AND from my "growing sensei" that has been growing since 89' and says that he has done a side by side more than once with flushed and unflushed with no difference.

I totally believe him, I just thought that perhaps the differences were subtle and he may not even have noticed, or there really is no difference...

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Flushing removes nutrients from the soil not the plant. If you stop feeding it, you may bring on senescence. Nothing more.

Here's the link to the study.

Here's an article in English.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
if you read the study, you should note that the plant stops taking nutrients in the final stage, about 10 to 14 days.

so, you flushing is just not adding nutes to your water, and since the plant isnt taking those nutes you were adding, you could stop adding them for the economical value at least... just dont call it a flush and you wont upset folks.

but, call it as you like, the plant decides every time!

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
if you read the study, you should note that the plant stops taking nutrients in the final stage, about 10 to 14 days.

so, you flushing is just not adding nutes to your water, and since the plant isnt taking those nutes you were adding, you could stop adding them for the economical value at least... just dont call it a flush and you wont upset folks.

but, call it as you like, the plant decides every time!
Hence the yellowing of leaves as the plant begins to cannibalize itself for food.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
my point wasnt yellowing leaves, it is that no matter what you call it, only water is needed in the end because the plant itself doesnt use the nutes. so flushing is not feeding and just watering... and the plant, if you feed or not is not using the feed... so basically it flushes itself, so why would you continue the nutes if the plant doesnt use them?

the other issue with the "study" is that it is studying taste, and that is subjective. who tested it? do they have some taste degree? all that and more! even the ash color they discuss is not a real thing, it seems that further study shows tasters liking and disliking both dark and light ash.

personal opinion, the cure is probably more important to taste than the flush or not flush.

william76

william76

Well that's up to you,try it with 1 plant ,you'll see the difference when you burn it.unflushed weed is terrible,I can always tell the difference.76

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
well, i have no flushing needs, i wont be faced with that dilemma.

i kinda wonder at the process of dumping things into a plant you have to wash out to make it to your liking. so i dont add, and dont have any need to wash out anything.

the plant chooses! best way to do it for me.

Top Bottom