Decreasing Light For Increased Trichome Prodution

• Thread starter paulycali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How many people either raise there light and dim there bulb during the ripening stage

• I do

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • I dont

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
squiggly

squiggly

I think it's important to really get at the nitty gritty of this argument.

The poll question, as stated, is too ambiguous and doesn't really address what the debate has been about.

First and foremost, I believe this idea originated from speculation that THC/Cannabinoids/Terpenes are produced by cannabis as a natural sun-block (both to block UV radiation, and to better hold moisture).

This came from the knowledge that other plants use similar chemicals (terpenes especially) in this way.

Over the long game of e-telephone, this has somehow turned into an argument about increasing trich, rather than oil, production.

Some people may well believe that this does increase trich production--but I think the evidence in this area is lacking.

There is, however, significant support for changes in oil production based on environment. Light intensity, wavelength, time of day, and the list goes on and on. Part of the reason there is so much debate about this is that it's quite difficult to do a true side by side with plants without a fully climate controlled area and rigorous experiment design.

As a chemistry nerd I can lend some insight and say that yes, THC, terpenes, and other cannabinoids can act as a sun block. They absorb, and are destroyed by, UV radiation. This is how our sunblock works--as it is hit with a photon, the molecule is destroyed or "used up" and thus we must reapply the sunblock once it's been depleted.

So these chemicals definitely can act as a sunblock. Also possessing significant non-polar character, they would serve to help a plant retain water.

There is a good amount of evidence suggesting that oil production is closely related to moisture conditions (both air and soil) in cannabis. Some have claimed drought conditions greatly increase oil output.

The initial idea of turning off the lights came from the knowledge that non-UV spectrum light can also degrade cannabis oils. Because the oils are constantly being destroyed by the light, and subsequently regenerated--it was thought that turning off the lights may allow for a buildup of oil prior to harvest. The hope was the plant would continue producing oil, while its degradation would be halted for that period of time--causing a net increase in total oils.

An inverse effect is quite common, wherein the tops of plants are allowed to come too close to intense light and finish lacking smell (terpenes depleted due to light/heat).

This idea really stems from common knowledge that we all repeat day in and day out when speaking about drying procedures. Dry your flowers in a dark place, we all know that--it's because the active oils degrade in light.

To my mind, this method makes a lot of sense. I think its entirely plausible that it's beneficial. However, to test it would require a large sample size--say at least 25 plants (normal light) vs 25 plants (2 days off)--and efficient methods for extracting oils/quantifying oil production.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Has anyone ran a side by side, watt to watt test with LEDs vs HPS?

Yes, with mixed results- the guy was using 90w LED ufos to supplement light in an otherwise HPS lit room. This was ad hoc, but it got me to thinking that these lights' spectra may be complementary when used together.

I'm trying it now in veg; adding a 400w HPS mounted a bit higher than normal, to several LEDs also totalling 400 watts. We'll see how they like it...

Krasi

Krasi

I dim the ligts or raise them in the last week, not for more trichomes but the plants only want to evaporate in this stage, and too much warmth or IR will cause a evaporation problem, leafs show this as they get a canoe shape.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I too use Sunpulse bulbs and play with the different Kelvin temp colors throughout flower. I have not played with raising my lights although I certainly will be thinking about it now.

PB

S

S_D

I have noticed as mentioned that with MH in last weeks or a side by side grow you get frosty and sweeter tasting nuggs but the yields may be slightly less than HPS but if that is a concern buy a Badass MH which puts out nearly as many or more lumens than most HPS 1000w.

Also seen that basically MH/HPS grow nuggs/ weight and LEDs really add resin but yields less so if you can afford it buy LED lighting to supplement (not replace) your HPS/MH.

Reactions: NDN
S

Shellz

I dim the ligts or raise them in the last week, not for more trichomes but the plants only want to evaporate in this stage, and too much warmth or IR will cause a evaporation problem, leafs show this as they get a canoe shape.
Is there any coming back from this?

Ytransplant

Ytransplant

This thread is old and someone checked in during 2017...I STRONGLY feel this is a legit concern, and I DO decrease intensity the last 10-14 days of flower....Couple reasons...I am reducing nutrients which make the plants more susceptible to light and heat damage...In nature, there is a considerable reduction in intensity for INDICA varieties....Sativa varieties in nature do not see the variation in lighting intensity, or number of hours of daylight for that matter....I for one do not grow pure landrace eqitorial sativa strains requiring 13+ weeks of flowering....many BRED variations flower faster but were talking natural conditions...Indicas see FAST reduction on # of hours of daylight, with the sun MUCH LOWER in the sky...This is why strong indica dom plants flower fast...Cold is coming and reproduction is expedited before they die from a strong frost...So, They ARE getting much weaker intensity late in flower....Ever notice how frosty buds are just down from the main colas...Secondary branching that gets a little shading and less intensity....Modern lighting is INTENSE and WILL evaporate resins high up and facing strong light....This is typically not an issue if your running lower wattage lights....BUT CERTAINLY is a concern running 1000w HID lights and some LEDs (some are much stronger than a few yrs ago)....I've run 1000w HIDs for 4 decades now, and have watched this phenomenon a LONG TIME....intense lighing is critical for bud mass, but once your bud mass is done, late trich production, and ripening is a delicate process....They LOVE TO SWELL AND BASK IN A MUCH LESS INTENSE LIGHT....You spend months getting to this point, so you'd hate to evap your efforts.....I'm not a botanist, but been growing since 1979....less is better the last 10-14 days...You certainly cant lose yield, cause thats already locked in at that point....It time to grow and care for your trichs at this point....YT

Last edited:
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I've never adjusted light intensity late in flower, but it seems like it makes sense to protect the trichomes and oils.

SmallGuy

SmallGuy

This thread is old and someone checked in during 2017...I STRONGLY feel this is a legit concern, and I DO decrease intensity the last 10-14 days of flower....Couple reasons...I am reducing nutrients which make the plants more susceptible to light and heat damage...In nature, there is a considerable reduction in intensity for INDICA varieties....Sativa varieties in nature do not see the variation in lighting intensity, or number of hours of daylight for that matter....I for one do not grow pure landrace eqitorial sativa strains requiring 13+ weeks of flowering....many BRED variations flower faster but were talking natural conditions...Indicas see FAST reduction on # of hours of daylight, with the sun MUCH LOWER in the sky...This is why strong indica dom plants flower fast...Cold is coming and reproduction is expedited before they die from a strong frost...So, They ARE getting much weaker intensity late in flower....Ever notice how frosty buds are just down from the main colas...Secondary branching that gets a little shading and less intensity....Modern lighting is INTENSE and WILL evaporate resins high up and facing strong light....This is typically not an issue if your running lower wattage lights....BUT CERTAINLY is a concern running 1000w HID lights and some LEDs (some are much stronger than a few yrs ago)....I've run 1000w HIDs for 4 decades now, and have watched this phenomenon a LONG TIME....intense lighing is critical for bud mass, but once your bud mass is done, late trich production, and ripening is a delicate process....They LOVE TO SWELL AND BASK IN A MUCH LESS INTENSE LIGHT....You spend months getting to this point, so you'd hate to evap your efforts.....I'm not a botanist, but been growing since 1979....less is better the last 10-14 days...You certainly cant lose yield, cause thats already locked in at that point....It time to grow and care for your trichs at this point....YT
Thanks, I was curious about that because some tubers increase light intensity in flower but don't mention toning down the light the last weeks of the grow. anyway just starting to research this as I thought it strange because outdoor growers such as myself witness the decrease sun light as we go into fall and in the fall is when we get our buds to really grow.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks, I was curious about that because some tubers increase light intensity in flower but don't mention toning down the light the last weeks of the grow. anyway just starting to research this as I thought it strange because outdoor growers such as myself witness the decrease sun light as we go into fall and in the fall is when we get our buds to really grow.
I had a talk with a pro grower and he said he's done experiments on lower intensity and longer hours for the last (7) - 10 days of flower. If you are able to drop to 600w from 1000W with your hps ballast and you increase your hours back to 18 it will increase trichome production and thicken the buds I haven't tried this yet myself but I trust his words and doubt he'd lead me astray. I burned out 2 electronic ballast in 1 year so I'm back on a mechanical ballast I'm unable to turn it down but I can lift the reflector and lower the intensity should I try this tip.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I had a talk with a pro grower and he said he's done experiments on lower intensity and longer hours for the last (7) - 10 days of flower. If you are able to drop to 600w from 1000W with your hps ballast and you increase your hours back to 18 it will increase trichome production and thicken the buds I haven't tried this yet myself but I trust his words and doubt he'd lead me astray. I burned out 2 electronic ballast in 1 year so I'm back on a mechanical ballast I'm unable to turn it down but I can lift the reflector and lower the intensity should I try this tip.
Thats top shelf advice he gave you. That's a little trick folks have used here for ages

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Nope. Not at all. My buddy does 7-10 days of 18/6 regularly at the end of flower. I did it the last couple cycles myself. Don't always bother. But it does work.
It can help me free up veg space by moving a few plants into the flower room during the 18hrs on. If I can coordinate it. I'm running out of room quickly as they grow. These reg seeds take up a lot of space before they get sexed.

Top Bottom