Deficiency/lockout problems in coco with synthetic nutrients

• Thread starter Juicejk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Juicejk

Juicejk

Nope it's not soil, not Rockwool, not dwc. It's coco. Treat it like coco. Unless you run organic nutes.... but you are not. Perlite will just help it dry out faster.
Lol thank you. I was getting really confused and started questioning everything. I don’t have organic nutes besides once a week real growers recharge

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Also I have been spraying neem oil for the past 2 weeks every 5 days and I just picked up some insecticide. I have been checking the bottom of the leaves but haven’t seen anything that looked like pests but I had thought it looked like thrips too. I need to get a scope so I can check with more than a blind eye.
Forget the scope, get Cozy Mag app at the app store.
CM200131 122533006

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Lol thank you. I was getting really confused and started questioning everything. I don’t have organic nutes besides once a week real growers recharge
I'm a few weeks away from harvesting my first coco grow. I experimented with straight coco mix, coco fiber and coco peat as well as mixing 20-30% perlite in 1/2 & 1 gal plastic and fiber pots. Didn't matter, all grew exceptionally well.

I'm using MasterBlend, highly recommend it and I'm watering (fertigating) 3-6 x's a day. The more the better.

Next grow I'll leave out the perlite, doesn't seem to need it.

This couldn't be eaiser. Mix the nutes and water every 2-3 hours during lights on. That's it.

Results are the best I've ever grown.

Seeds planted Aug 25
20200130 104123

Seeds planted Sept 25
20200128 080144

I won't grow in potting soil again but I do plan on using 3-5 gal pots of coco this summer.

I agree with oldskoler, stick with the basic nutes, cut out all the rest and watch 'em grow.

FresnoFarmer

FresnoFarmer

I'm a few weeks away from harvesting my first coco grow. I experimented with straight coco mix, coco fiber and coco peat as well as mixing 20-30% perlite in 1/2 & 1 gal plastic and fiber pots. Didn't matter, all grew exceptionally well.

I'm using MasterBlend, highly recommend it and I'm watering (fertigating) 3-6 x's a day. The more the better.

This couldn't be eaiser. Mix the nutes and water every 2-3 hours during lights on. That's it.

Seeds planted Aug 25
View attachment 936456

Seeds planted Sept 25
View attachment 936457

I won't grow in potting soil again but I do plan on using 3-5 gal pots of coco this summer.

I agree with oldskoler, stick with the basic nutes, cut out all the rest and watch 'em grow.
Looks good man. I’ve always wanted to grow outdoors in coco. I’ve seen insane yields achieved in 5-15 gallon containers of coco outdoors. Hydro scares me though lol. Keep an eye out for my sog spring grow coming up. Should be a doozie.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Looks good man. I’ve always wanted to grow outdoors in coco. I’ve seen insane yields achieved in 5-15 gallon containers of coco outdoors. Hydro scares me though lol. Keep an eye out for my sog spring grow coming up. Should be a doozie.
I am so itching for the coming season. I'll start another grow within the next 30 days for a July/Aug harvest and come April I'll be planting Granddaddy Purples and Big Buds in at least 5 gal pots and expect trees.😉

Juicejk

Juicejk

Seeds planted Aug 25
View attachment 936456

Seeds planted Sept 25
View attachment 936457

This is awesome! I’ve been very curious about the potential results of doing smaller pots in coco and feeding more often. That is so awesome. I would love to get an outdoor grow going in the future. That is so awesome that you are growing trees in 3-5 gallon pots! I’m going to look up the MasterBlend that sounds great. I was wanting to flower my plants in the 1 gallon pots just for science and try to gauge how many times a day to water, I’m expecting 2-3 times each day later in flower. I will definitely be just sticking with the base nutrients and calmag. Do you guys use the bloom boosters in flower?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I am not really sure what BX mix is. I googled it just now and that’s definitely not what I have so I was confused by that. I see now that you weren’t referring to the coco perlite mix I have. The roots of my plants are busting out of the side of the fabric pots so I think they have pretty decent roots
Bx is a perlite coco mix premixed by promix soil co. It’s a high porosity media that “can “ be a substitute to full coco but most ya commercial growers have learned that it’s isNt coco ! If one wants to use it like coco, u have to do a sort of drain to waste, in the volume we run that would be a nightmare! But for small runs if u can drain to waste meaning let her runoff some how, you can use a coco like regiment but I’ve found that the coco in the mix breaks down fast and and perlite does counter to the argument hold more moisture then drain. So it’s why we have now started to treat it like soil and the results are phenomenal! We do feed like it’s coco but don’t water it like coco if that makes any sense. One issue we run into is root zone rot. It’s why we scaled back the water cycle but we never let it “dry” out. Say 40% by weight we water. We do have moisture sensors in our irrigation system that alerts us once we reach that % and we water or feed depending on where the feed schedule/ water schedule it is. Hope this clarifies the issues. Also we are getting away from this as well, due to the fact it’s a one time use and it’s a huge waste disposal wise. But for small grows it maybe feasible. Lemme know how your grow progresses.

Juicejk

Juicejk

Bx is a perlite coco mix premixed by promix soil co. It’s a high porosity media that “can “ be a substitute to full coco but most ya commercial growers have learned that it’s isNt coco ! If one wants to use it like coco, u have to do a sort of drain to waste, in the volume we run that would be a nightmare! But for small runs if u can drain to waste meaning let her runoff some how, you can use a coco like regiment but I’ve found that the coco in the mix breaks down fast and and perlite does counter to the argument hold more moisture then drain. So it’s why we have now started to treat it like soil and the results are phenomenal! We do feed like it’s coco but don’t water it like coco if that makes any sense. One issue we run into is root zone rot. It’s why we scaled back the water cycle but we never let it “dry” out. Say 40% by weight we water. We do have moisture sensors in our irrigation system that alerts us once we reach that % and we water or feed depending on where the feed schedule/ water schedule it is. Hope this clarifies the issues. Also we are getting away from this as well, due to the fact it’s a one time use and it’s a huge waste disposal wise. But for small grows it maybe feasible. Lemme know how your grow progresses.
Ahh I see what you mean now. I had never heard of the pro bx mix until last night but I understand now what you are saying. Moisture sensors sounds like a great addition to the grow, I want to get some of those now! I’m glad you said that about the perlite, I’m still very new to growing but it seemed to me like the perlite was holding onto moisture more than the coco was but I’ve heard from so many growers to mix perlite with the coco because they help with drainage. Feeding like coco but not watering it like coco makes perfect sense. That sounds really efficient and it sounds like you have mastered when to feed down to a science. I really appreciate all of the explanation. I love this forum! I honestly can’t believe how many replies I’ve had. It’s so awesome because I’ve just felt overwhelmed for a good portion of this grow so far

FresnoFarmer

FresnoFarmer

I am so itching for the coming season. I'll start another grow within the next 30 days for a July/Aug harvest and come April I'll be planting Granddaddy Purples and Big Buds in at least 5 gal pots and expect trees.😉
Sounds like a plan man. Two very good strains. GDP was the first I’ve ever grown. Straight 🔥. I’m going to pop some GMO x Chemdog 91, Dragon Fruit, Sour Deisel, Bubba Kush, Snow Temple, and Kosher Kush seeds in may. I’m a sucker for variety. Gonna run a gelato clone or two as well.

Juicejk

Juicejk

Sounds like a plan man. Two very good strains. GDP was the first I’ve ever grown. Straight 🔥. I’m going to pop some GMO x Chemdog 91, Dragon Fruit, Sour Deisel, Bubba Kush, Snow Temple, and Kosher Kush seeds in may. I’m a sucker for variety. Gonna run a gelato clone or two as well.
I love the strain selection! Everything sounds fire, especially the gmo x Chemdog 91 😍. I’m running pineapple kush, hulkberry (same cross as Bruce banner), gorilla breath (gg4 x ogkb) and monster pebbles which is (GDP x Critical x Somango) I got the monster pebbles seeds as freebies. I have a pack of rocket fuel x deadhead og that I am going to run on my next grow.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Ahh I see what you mean now. I had never heard of the pro bx mix until last night but I understand now what you are saying. Moisture sensors sounds like a great addition to the grow, I want to get some of those now! I’m glad you said that about the perlite, I’m still very new to growing but it seemed to me like the perlite was holding onto moisture more than the coco was but I’ve heard from so many growers to mix perlite with the coco because they help with drainage. Feeding like coco but not watering it like coco makes perfect sense. That sounds really efficient and it sounds like you have mastered when to feed down to a science. I really appreciate all of the explanation. I love this forum! I honestly can’t believe how many replies I’ve had. It’s so awesome because I’ve just felt overwhelmed for a good portion of this grow so far

Second hand store. Buy a scale. Much more accurate to weigh them If you can. It just removes all doubts. Until you learn how to feel it without

Thanks for catching that jack, and getting him sorted.

Not to add to the confusion but... Ive found you can reduce your run off % with coco dtw. If you hit it once a week with bonemeal. Doesnt get enough time to build up. As I hate dealing with wastewater.

Anywho. Keep on trucking

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
The site is why we do what we do. The passion all of us at the forum has perpetuates the cycle , I got help, I helped and so on and so forth. We all continuously learn! No one will ever claim to have it all! It’s why this site is above every other like it, we are open on ideas and readily share! So welcome to the farm mate! No such thing as a dumb question ever! We all wanna learn! Ask! And great job on your inquiry! Most growers shy away from asking and run into trouble then its a mess sorting it out!
cheers
Jack

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Waste water, it's something that needs to be sorted out. You can drain it outside into a flower bed or grass area or down the drain. We're on septic so it would really make an area of our yard GREEN but I've found other uses, raised beds, herb garden, flower beds, etc. It adds up. I go through about 8 gallons a day and 2+ gal is waste. I tried to recirculate the waste water but it doesn't work.

I start seeds in 2" peat pots filled with coco peat and plant them into 1/2 - 1 gal pots of coco at 1 week of age. I mix in 1/4 tsp SuperThrive per gal of water for seeds. Plain tap water will work.

Nutes: 1/2 strength after first week of age. Up it a little each week until full strength at about 4-6 weeks depending on their growth rate. Strains and even individual plants can need more or less.

Water every 2-4 hours if possible. A pump on a timer can cover a couple waterings a day. You're watering the pot, not the plant. 1 give each 1 gal pot approx 16 oz and 1/2 gal pots 12-14. First watering or if it's been longer than 5 hrs I give them a couple ounces more.

After flip to 12/12 start cutting back on the calicum and epsom salts until your at about 1/4 strength by wk 6-8 of flower. I haven't tried any bloom boosters.

I mix a concentrate of each nute, enough for 32 full strength gallons by mixing 76.8 grams of the fertilizer, 76.8 grams of the calcium and 34.4 grams of the epsom salts, each in a gallon of water. Mixing a half cup of each concentrate into a gallon of water makes a full dose. A quarter cup of each would be a half strength dose, etc. Alway add the calcium last.

Charging the cation exchange sites. If the coco hasn't been charged you need to do it. Soak the coco in a strong (1000+ppm) calicum and epsom salts solution over night.

That's pretty much it. Keep it simple and water often.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Do you use any additional Cal-Mag product? See the yellow tiger stripping in between the green veins of your leaves, thats usually always magnesium deficiency! But seeing that yours kind of have a Toxicity its hard to diagnose. Its definitely not Nute lockout or Over Nute problems because otherwise you would have burnage on the tips of the fan leaves (if Over Nuted) or the growth would be locked if it was a Lock Out! Everyone that said dont flush with regular water is right. Unless in your final stage flush NEVER flush with just plain water. Do like a 1/4 to 1/2 strength solution flush!

Ive been running Coco for over 7 years now and have ran into every known problem along the way!

I would greatly recommend flushing your plant with 1/4 EC nutrients and add about 150-200 ppms of Cal-Mag.

The only down side is that the damage to the plant in the Pics is Necrosis (leaves are dying) so the areas in between the leaves with always stay looking like that! If it was Chlorosis (leaves are just just yellowing out) then it would go back to former glory, but dont be worried. Just correct the issue quick or it will progressively get worse. If after you flush and continue feeding schedule the problem progressively gets worst then you have a Toxicity.

Use this Pic as a reference.
KRuFnY4 1022x1024

Top Bottom