Defoliate side by side comparison small trees

• Thread starter smokedareefer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Well, from my short personal experience, i am not a big fan of taking off so many fan leaves. Leaves are needed to produce growth energy for the buds till the end of the flowering stage. While the plant still grows nice buds even if you take most of them off, when you take only those blocking the light, the buds are much nicer and bigger at the end.
If you only take down the sails that catch wind, does the boat go faster?

Murdawg420

Murdawg420

Personally, I look for leaf to bud ratios when choosing a strain..
Saves having to bother with defoliation when you find what you're after. Interested in your findings though!
Good grow!

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

To defoliate or not to defoliate; that is the question.

I answered that question many moons ago for myself while watching a movie called WIERD SCIENCE.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Number 1, 2, and 3 were taken off the drying nets after 10 days drying and put into the vaults. Using those meters that everyone loves to hate, the rh is 62% to 65% , will get a weight when its stable.
Looking at the volume in the vaults # 1 (defoliate) and number 2 look pretty equal by volume.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

So in like one sentence, what’s the verdict????
1,2 and 3 left to right. #4 still on the drying net. 17 liter vaults
20211013 012530

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Everything is stable around 61% humidity in the vaults .

#1 defoliated 916 grams
#2 not def 960 grams
#3 defoliated 665 grams
#4 not def 1126 grams

The two that weren't defoliated out yielded the other by 18 oz.

My conclusion is, there's too many variables

growsince79

growsince79

Everything is stable around 61% humidity in the vaults .

#1 defoliated 916 grams
#2 not def 960 grams
#3 defoliated 665 grams
#4 not def 1126 grams

The two that weren't defoliated out yielded the other by 18 oz.

My conclusion is, there's too many variables
Any difference in taste?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

#3 seems to be the outlier. Wonder what happened there. Got bugs?
Haven't tried any of it and don't know if id be able to "taste " any difference.

#3 had the smallest structure from the beginning. Just the way she was. No bugs.

growsince79

growsince79

Haven't tried any of it and don't know if id be able to "taste " any difference.

#3 had the smallest structure from the beginning. Just the way she was. No bugs.
Being all clones don't make sense. Something must be up.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

As my wife said "they are identical quads with their own personalities.

From day 21 when they were defoliated in my mind #3 was the loser and #4 was going to be the winner. So i had eliminated those 2 and thought a comparison between 1 & 2 was in order but then the n deficiency showed up first on the fan leaves of #2. That's when i started chasing my tail which im sure benefitted #4 .

My best guess but by appearance alone #3 never had a chance.

Roots from #1, 2 add 3. Red streaking on the stalk, is it a deficiency ?
20211007 105054

growsince79

growsince79

As my wife said "they are identical quads with their own personalities.

From day 21 when they were defoliated in my mind #3 was the loser and #4 was going to be the winner. So i had eliminated those 2 and thought a comparison between 1 & 2 was in order but then the n deficiency showed up first on the fan leaves of #2. That's when i started chasing my tail which im sure benefitted #4 .

My best guess but by appearance alone #3 never had a chance.

Roots from #1, 2 add 3. Red streaking on the stalk, is it a deficiency ?View attachment 1180693
How about a smoke report. Any difference?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

How about a smoke report. Any difference?
Every time I roll one up I remember your question.

I'm not really one to notice the taste so to speak, either it hits good or it doesn't. But psychology I think #4 as being the smoothest first thing in the morning (not def)

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Wouldn't that be cool if you could take a hit off a pipe, cough it out with disgust and say, "Over-defoliated!!"

Hmm… I'll have to give that a try. I know a lot of people would say, "Really? How can you tell?"

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

well this proves it without a shadow of doubt! solar panel theory, bro tested and bro approved! sticky this one ya mods!!!!!!

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Not sure i agree with the solar panel theory but they can be useful as eyes to the soul.

Case in point, i was going to continue with a different strain from the same breeder true tree ranch called heart attack.
Again i picked what i considered the best of the 4 and took cuttings from her the day before flower to use in this trial. Here's the pheno i choose to be the mom.
20221012 125526

Well she locked up but the other 3 seeds didnt and my attempts to unlock her failed so basically we grew out 3 of the 4 seeds as the mother didn't amount to nothing but the other 3 did pretty good.

So what we have now in the flower room are 4 clones from the mom that failed and im wanting to keep a closer eye on them so i may not defoliate them. They are on day 13 of flower now and all i done is shaved their legs at day 1. Here they were on Dec 17, i flipped them on the 21st.
20221217 162521

Top Bottom