Dehumidifier causing serious issues with closed room

• Thread starter stringtheory
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stringtheory

When constructing a medical grow we decided to go with a closed room setup. Read up a lot, asked a lot of questions but in the end designed an excellent room. Unfortunately due to time restraints we were not able to dial equipment in before moving in our genetics.

So one week goes by and plants three wks old are thriving in the environment but humidity is a little high so we begin to utilize our dehumidifier. After two days of this plugged into our CHHC4 set on 65% RH our plants foliage dried up completely overnight in odd patterns across the room and began to spiral. Temp, nutes, air circulation, C02, PH, PPM and every other facet was perfect so we knew it was the dehumidifier. It was the right size for our room but maybe we just needed to mount it so five days later after letting the plants recover we ran it again mounted and in 24 hours the plants looked the same.

We immediately ordered another one sightly smaller 60 pint dehumidifier. Once it arrived I mounted it and ran it with the fan set on low plugged into CHHC4 and it nearly killed all plants in 24 hrs never dropping RH under 65%.

At this point we were completely unsure of what to do because RH gets to be 98% at night so we ordered yet another dehumidifier but smaller 40 pint one. We have ran this one for one week now with no problems and just last night it began to slightly show spiraling on the tops of a few plants in close proximity. Being in Cali we have spoken with many growers and even had a friend drop the question for the people at Oaksterdam but nobody had any clue.

So my question is what are we missing? Has anyone else ever ran a closed room and experienced dehumidifier issues? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated

Specs:
7'x14'
5000 watts HPS
12,000 BTU A/C
40 Pint Dehumidifier
1300 ppm C02
3 wall fans
Advanced Nutrients with organic tea supplementation and Fox Farm Soil
6.4 PH and currently hitting them with 950 ppm week 1 for Flower
Soil PH is 7
Temp during day is 78-82 F

O

organiclover

you need a bigger air conditioner for starters
like 20,000 BTU which will help keep the RH humidity down

mayb some pics would help

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

You might of set it up wrong, there are setting on the CHHC-4 that you can turn off and on during lights on/off.
Do you have the Dehuey turned all the way up and plugging into the CHHC4? What is the humidity set for on the CHHC4? Have you played with the interlock buttons yet?

Another thing is the sniffer could be in a place that is not getting the airflow it needs. Try putting the sniffer closer to the dehuey or in a spot that has more airflow. That would get a better reading of everything. Also having lots of fans to move the air in the room helps alot.

hiboy

hiboy

you need a bigger air conditioner for starters
like 20,000 BTU which will help keep the RH humidity down

mayb some pics would help

Interesting comment. Living in Cali, and with 6000 watts, i do run round 20000 btu, but they are the portable type with vented hoods. Maybe you have a malfunction in one of your guages.
hiboy

S

stringtheory

First of all thank you for all the help.
1.) Running the dehumidifier on a timer is unfortunately not an option. Because I am using a 40 pint currently it is not bringing the humidity down enough even running 24/7 but is thus far the only one not to cause stress overnight. Also our new model is not currently plugged into our CHHC-4 because I would have to manually restart the dehumidifier every time it kicks back on. So we are utilizing its own sensor set on lowest fan speed and medium moisture withdraw.
2.) Getting a larger AC would be more appropriate for our dimensions but ours is hardly ever running as is because we are venting the hoods with a high powered fan. The AC does lower humidity quite well but this would not solve any problems during our night cycle because temps already get down to 65 F.
3.) When utilizing the past dehumidifiers I could possibly pursue the CHHC-4 as the culprit with how we set it up but our current 40 pint is not able to be ran off of this. When testing the other larger dehumidifiers we had the CHHC4 set between 60-70 RH. We do have the sensor a little up on the wall to avoid getting wet when we water but we have more then adequate air circulation to give it proper readings. Hopefully photos later will present this issue a little more clearly. I've racked my brain and many others trying to dial this room in. Thanks for the help

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Just plug the dehumidifier in on its own and dont run it throught the chhc-4.............

S

Stoner Smurf

I have had some pretty low RH with no visable damage to the plant. I only have one humidifier, so when I am drying buds I use it there instead of the veg room. Without a humidifier in the winter time my RH gets as low as 19. So how low is this humidifier making the RH to cause such damage I wonder.

420Gator

420Gator

I have had some pretty low RH with no visable damage to the plant. I only have one humidifier, so when I am drying buds I use it there instead of the veg room. Without a humidifier in the winter time my RH gets as low as 19. So how low is this humidifier making the RH to cause such damage I wonder.

ive also had my rh etremely low in veg and flower, it may have slowed growth but i did not notice any damage

H

Herban Legend

I would check the settings on your Sentinel and reset it to factory settings and see if that helps.
I can never get enough dehumidification so I wouldnt think that the larger machines would cause issues.

B

BlindDay

You obviously have a problem, but it has nothing to do with humidity. Sounds like the plants are being poisoned in that closed system. Check the hot side of the dehumidifier for any PVC plastics (remember the old grow tent problem) or oils on the fins. If there is nothing obvious let the unit run outside the room for a few days to burn off the offending outgasing chemicals. Also clean off all the lines and coils with alcohol.

O

OregonMedical

String Theory....

Although this post has been dead for some time, I wanted to check what your outcome was. We have very similar set ups and I'm currently shopping dehumidifiers. I'm also puzzled on how to add a Humidifer to the Sentinel CHHC-4 when I'll be well over it's power capacity. It appears I need a humidifer with a auto-restart function. The auto-restart function seems to bring a heavy price to the humidifier. I don't want to spend the money on the humidifier when I don't know how to integrate it into the CHHC-4.

Peace! I hope to hear your feedback.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sentinel Website; www.growgps.com

Although this post has been dead for some time, I wanted to check what your outcome was. We have very similar set ups and I'm currently shopping dehumidifiers. I'm also puzzled on how to add a Humidifer to the Sentinel CHHC-4 when I'll be well over it's power capacity. It appears I need a humidifer with a auto-restart function. The auto-restart function seems to bring a heavy price to the humidifier. I don't want to spend the money on the humidifier when I don't know how to integrate it into the CHHC-4.

Peace! I hope to hear your feedback.

A HUMIDIFIER should not pull much amperage. After all, it's just a fan that sucks air through a wet blanket or batting. Don't get one with digital control, if you're plugging it into the CHHC-4, that's all the brainpower you'll need, and then some.

A DEhumidifier can pull some serious power, since it has to chill the air below dewpoint to wring water out of it. This is easy to do with a Sentinel CHHC-4 just consult your owners manual and set up the outlet for 'dehumidify control.'

As far as power consumption with the dehuey, if you're concerned, Sentinel makes power boxes with trigger cords, as do plenty of other companies. You get one of those, plug it into the wall, plug your dehuey into it, and plug the trigger cord into your properly programmed CHHC-4. Done. By the way, this strategy works with heaters, CO2 units, whatever you want your Sentinel to control...

Sentinel also makes a bitchin' lighting timer unit that not only has a built in digital timer for lighting, but also has an integrated hot start delay AND an overtemp shutoff with remote sensor built into the unit! Plug your Sentinel HPH-8 high power lighting controller into that, and your lighting problems are solved.

No, I'm not affiliated with Sentinel in any way. I AM a very *satisfied* customer; I had an issue with a second hand CHHC-4 and they took their time to help me troubleshoot it, then repaired my remote sensor for FREE when what I tried didn't work. I even told them I wasn't the original owner.

I don't care how cool your gear is. It will break, and then it's all about how good the support is for that gear. Sentinel's equipment is top quality and the people stand behind their stuff. Nuff said.

asdfasdfdasdf

asdfasdfdasdf

Yay for Sentinel but i'd have expected the thread starter to at least come back and update us, no respect at all.

Top Bottom