Dehumidifier, how should I use it?

• Thread starter Tionos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tionos

Tionos

Hello farmers,
I have a humidity problem (75% in bloom stage); i use Amazon Aeroponic system which could be one of the factors that increase humidity.
I do not use CO2 enrichment in cultivation, so I use my extractors and intractors 24 hours a day.

1- Is it necessary to use the ventilation system 24 hours a day?

2- From the question above, how do I use the dehumidifier effectively?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Really you need to use more ventilation. But a dehumidifier will always make the environment cleaner and drier. Move that humid air our of the tent and move fresh air into the tent. My humidity sits about 50-60%. When i water the humidity jumps to 65-70% so after i feed i leave tent open move new air in and humid air out then close it up. Having inline fan sucking the air the hot humid air from the top of the tent pushing it out will be a great solution set a fan at the bottom of the tent moving new air into the tent. Keep dehumidifier always running until you get humidity unser control.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Are you in a tent or a room?

Pick up a humidity controller that will monitor the humidity in your tent and turn the humidifier on and off accordingly. You can get dual units that will control your fans and/or heater as well. The closer you can stay to your setpoints the happier your plants will be.

Tionos

Tionos

Really you need to use more ventilation. But a dehumidifier will always make the environment cleaner and drier. Move that humid air our of the tent and move fresh air into the tent. My humidity sits about 50-60%. When i water the humidity jumps to 65-70% so after i feed i leave tent open move new air in and humid air out then close it up. Having inline fan sucking the air the hot humid air from the top of the tent pushing it out will be a great solution set a fan at the bottom of the tent moving new air into the tent. Keep dehumidifier always running until you get humidity unser control.

My extractor already does the air renovation work perfectly. The point is that as it rains here for almost 2 months in a row (as it happened 1 month ago and will happen in March), the air that the extractor gets from the outside already comes with high humidity.

Are you in a tent or a room?

Pick up a humidity controller that will monitor the humidity in your tent and turn the humidifier on and off accordingly. You can get dual units that will control your fans and/or heater as well. The closer you can stay to your setpoints the happier your plants will be.

I have two tents in a room. The question could also be posed as a dilemma: Or do I dehumidify the air in the tent or recycle the air in the tent with the extractor and intractor (but the humidity outside will be almost 100%, because of the rain).

Do I turn the extractor off when the dehumidifier is on?

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Hello farmers,
I have a humidity problem (75% in bloom stage); i use Amazon Aeroponic system which could be one of the factors that increase humidity.
I do not use CO2 enrichment in cultivation, so I use my extractors and intractors 24 hours a day.

1- Is it necessary to use the ventilation system 24 hours a day?

2- From the question above, how do I use the dehumidifier effectively?

Depends on your temp. Humidity levels effects water uptake as well as nute uptake. Follow this chart.

Bbm 04 17 2017 resized

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Wait the air you're intaking is 100%RH?? This sounds strange, is your intake ducted to the literal outside? Or is it intaking air from the room that the tent is in. Having indoor RH be near 100% sounds weird. It's probably best to have it be pulling air from indoors since the ambient co2 levels indoors is generally higher anyways, and it rains like none other where you are lol.

Given you're not using co2 and not in a sealed room, having the ventilation system on 24 hours or on a controller is probably best.

As far as dehu configurations there's only 3 options I have experience with;
Have it placed outside of the tent so it treats the entire room air before going into the tent (kind of a big workload for the dehu though)
Have it outside of the tent in it's own little box and have the box ducted to your intake hole.
Or ideally have it inside the tent; although if you're bringing in massively humid air like you say it might also overwork itself and create too much heat.

Maybe you could also have your exhaust fan on a temp controller and the dehu inside, so your dehu has time to treat the air while the fan is off and then when the dehu creates too much heat your fan will kick on and then the cycle repeats? Would probably have to play around with it to get it right though so the temp and rh don't constantly swing all the time.

Just throwing around ideas..

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

solid write up on VPD by @Aquaman that goes though how to use it effectively if you're intrigued by the chart referenced by @Greenthumbskunk above

also inkbird controllers is a solid affordable tool if you don't have temp/rh controllers yet. found on amazon.

Tionos

Tionos

Wait the air you're intaking is 100%RH?? This sounds strange, is your intake ducted to the literal outside? Or is it intaking air from the room that the tent is in. Having indoor RH be near 100% sounds weird. It's probably best to have it be pulling air from indoors since the ambient co2 levels indoors is generally higher anyways, and it rains like none other where you are lol.

Given you're not using co2 and not in a sealed room, having the ventilation system on 24 hours or on a controller is probably best.

As far as dehu configurations there's only 3 options I have experience with;
Have it placed outside of the tent so it treats the entire room air before going into the tent (kind of a big workload for the dehu though)
Have it outside of the tent in it's own little box and have the box ducted to your intake hole.
Or ideally have it inside the tent; although if you're bringing in massively humid air like you say it might also overwork itself and create too much heat.

Maybe you could also have your exhaust fan on a temp controller and the dehu inside, so your dehu has time to treat the air while the fan is off and then when the dehu creates too much heat your fan will kick on and then the cycle repeats? Would probably have to play around with it to get it right though so the temp and rh don't constantly swing all the time.

Just throwing around ideas..

Yes, my extractor is pulling the air out of my apartment. I have two tents (1x1 and 1.5x1.5 in a room). I saw my relative humidity reach 92%.

solid write up on VPD by @Aquaman that goes though how to use it effectively if you're intrigued by the chart referenced by @Greenthumbskunk above

also inkbird controllers is a solid affordable tool if you don't have temp/rh controllers yet. found on amazon.

Thanks! I have used a document that I downloaded where there is a relationship between leaf temperature, relative humidity, ambient temperature and, finally, this VPD. I know what it is and I know the values, but I don't have it and I'm not able to use or think about a technology to reach these values.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

@Tionos

I meant your intake; I am assuming it is bringing in air from within your apartment which should definitely be drier than 92%. I am assuming this is the case so probably just some type of dehu inside the room that the tents are residing in would work out well. Im assuming a decent dehu wont fit inside those tents. If the room itself is not much bigger than the tents then dehumidifying the entire room would probably be okay or you can makeshift a box for the dehu as mentioned earlier.

I don't have much experience in smaller spaces like that, it makes sense the the RH would be so high since the entire tent is probably packed wall to wall. I have a feeling I am applying a thought process for a bigger space, there's probably a much simpler solution than what I have in my arsenal like a bigger exhaust or something lol. Maybe some others can chime in since this is definitely not a first time problem. Someone on here has gone through this exact scenario for sure.

Pictures of the setup might help people better understand and reply as well.

Top Bottom