Dehumidifier not lowering humidity in my 4x4 tent...

• Thread starter CannabinoidCarson33
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

Hey growers,

Im growing 6 plants in a 4x4 tent with an intake fan and and exhaust fan with carbon filter and am running 3 clip fans inside the tent. Even with all this, the humidity in the tent is far too high for the flowering stage and i knew it would be a problem so I took action...
I searched google and found more than one site that recommended the $69.99 pro breeze as the top pick for my size tent, so I went for it. Many people have said that the smaller bro breeze mini for 39.99 works great also, but I went with the bigger stronger model just to be sure.
I've had it in the tent now for a day or so and I cant believe how little its doing. I have two monitors in the tent that are both measuring the same, and they have recorded VERY LITTLE (UNDER 4% AT BEST) CHANGE...

Am I doing something wrong?
Should I have it in the middle of tent and not at edge by door vent? Should I lower my fan speed and see if that's it?

Im really concerned my flowers wont grow with the humidity at times hitting in the 70'%s

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

-Carson

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That unit says 18oz per day. Of course that is under perfect conditions and you will never see that.

How much do you water per day max? You will need to size your unit to take out double that amount.

In my 4x8 I need a 70lpd to move the needle on moisture. If you really want to see some RH look a few hours after your lights go off and temps come down. Your RH will likely spike higher.

What’s the RH in the room your tent is in?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I run a 50 pint unit in my 4x4. Only way I was able to get RH under control. Running it outside the tent didn't help all that much either, so luckily I had room to put it in the tent under the scrog canopy. Those little units simply won't compete against healthy plants transpiring.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Im really concerned my flowers wont grow with the humidity
You will want to do a really good check for mold and other bad stuff.

If you don’t see any great. But I would totally recommend gloves and clean clothes while gardening until you get this under control and make sure your filter is effective on the incoming air. Wet weed is like a Petri dish for some bad juju.

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

I run a 50 pint unit in my 4x4. Only way I was able to get RH under control. Running it outside the tent didn't help all that much either, so luckily I had room to put it in the tent under the scrog canopy. Those little units simply won't compete against healthy plants transpiring.
Which do you have and how much was it. I guess I could use the litte one in the bathroom and get a larger one, but Im not looking to drop hundreds on it. I saw a 50 pint for 150$...idk how good it will work tho. Man, i just dropped 75bucks on this thing for nothing!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Which do you have and how much was it. I guess I could use the litte one in the bathroom and get a larger one, but Im not looking to drop hundreds on it. I saw a 50 pint for 150$...idk how good it will work tho. Man, i just dropped 75bucks on this thing for nothing!
This is the unit I bought:

It was a bitter pill to swallow, for sure. But when you're looking at 1lb+ going to the compost bin because RH is 75% (95%+ at lights out), I'd rather eat $200 and recoup the costs after the fact than eat the value of that kind of quantity and time spent growing it.

Honestly, I love it, too. Absolutely amazing unit, works fantastic for my requirements, not terribly noisy, and pretty damn efficient -- I didn't notice any increase on my power bill. The pump feature is great too, so if you can set it up, you aren't having to manually drain the pan all the time. The reviews are also better than Frigidaire and Keystone as a whole, both of which used to be considered the premier brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Vremi-Energy...ds=50+pint+dehumidifier&qid=1617316639&sr=8-8

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

This is the unit I bought:

It was a bitter pill to swallow, for sure. But when you're looking at 1lb+ going to the compost bin because RH is 75% (95%+ at lights out), I'd rather eat $200 and recoup the costs after the fact than eat the value of that kind of quantity and time spent growing it.

Honestly, I love it, too. Absolutely amazing unit, works fantastic for my requirements, not terribly noisy, and pretty damn efficient -- I didn't notice any increase on my power bill. The pump feature is great too, so if you can set it up, you aren't having to manually drain the pan all the time. The reviews are also better than Frigidaire and Keystone as a whole, both of which used to be considered the premier brands.
Thank you so much, im going with the exact one you recommended but cant pull the trigger until I get paid on Monday... I really pray the ladies make it through the weekend and Monday without getting too messed up. What would you do or can I do until the unit comes on Tuesday?
https://www.amazon.com/Vremi-Energy...ds=50+pint+dehumidifier&qid=1617316639&sr=8-8

RJenZen

RJenZen

I also have a tight grow room. 3 x 5ft. Durban Poisions in a MarsHydro 2.5x2.5x5.5. I also bought the ProBreeze dehu, the smaller $40 one. It collects water but doesnt do caca to the hydrometer numbers. Also have the Eva-Dry cylinders with the rechargeable base. Same thing, they do nothing for the RH% numbers (using 4 @ once, they'll work for my camera equip) Yesterday I ordered off Amazon the IVATION 14.7 pint compressor driven dehumidifier (great reviews), should come today. Its approximately 11"wide, 7" deep and 18" tall. Will fit right in there. I will post results later. Plan on running 55%RH, I'm in the end of 3rd week of flower. I live in NYC up the block from Rockaway Beach (yes, the Ramones Rockaway Beach) humidity here is a MF. At least theres always a breeze moving the smells far from their source.

20210705 180020
20210705 183552
20210705 183611
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yesterday I ordered off Amazon the IVATION 14.7 pint compressor driven dehumidifier (great reviews), should come today. Its approximately 11"wide, 7" deep and 18" tall. Will fit right in there.
I have been using the Ivation 13 pint and it works well inside my 3x3 tent. It's a bit crowded with four 5 gal pots but it works and does the job. One of the sides is a intake vent and is supposed to be 8" from any wall, but I put the vent side against the side of the tent by an intake vent and it draws some fresh air from outside the tent that way. Still gives me room to get in and empty the collection reservoir. It also has a humidistat that goes down to 35% but also has a continuous on feature that I use after watering to keep things under 40% in flowering.

I tried it outside the tent, which worked, but because I needed to open windows/doors etc, it just wasn't working that way for my situation so I moved it back inside the tent. It does put off some heat, so be aware of that. I have an 8" inline fan pulling air in through the bottom vents and out the top vent with two fans blowing air inside the tent. On a hot day, 90F+, I will have to run the A/C in the house to keep temps under 85F in the tent but I only have to have the thermostat set to about 75 so it's not running crazy cool during those times.

Mazeblue1

Mazeblue1

Hey growers,

Im growing 6 plants in a 4x4 tent with an intake fan and and exhaust fan with carbon filter and am running 3 clip fans inside the tent. Even with all this, the humidity in the tent is far too high for the flowering stage and i knew it would be a problem so I took action...
I searched google and found more than one site that recommended the $69.99 pro breeze as the top pick for my size tent, so I went for it. Many people have said that the smaller bro breeze mini for 39.99 works great also, but I went with the bigger stronger model just to be sure.
I've had it in the tent now for a day or so and I cant believe how little its doing. I have two monitors in the tent that are both measuring the same, and they have recorded VERY LITTLE (UNDER 4% AT BEST) CHANGE...

Am I doing something wrong?
Should I have it in the middle of tent and not at edge by door vent? Should I lower my fan speed and see if that's it?

Im really concerned my flowers wont grow with the humidity at times hitting in the 70'%s

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

-Carson
If you don’t want to spend money on a necessity like a dehumidifier then I recommend getting some damp rid containers and putting them in your tent. I have used them in the past, they are cheap, do not affect the plants whatsoever and they work to help subsidize.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Are you blowing the exhaust outside?
Not sure if you are talking to me but to answer in my case, no I'm not per se. I actually thought about how I could make a little duct to take that hot air straight out of the tent but if I do that, it will have to be on a new grow because I don't want to mess with it with 4 flowering plants in the way. I've got 3 fans in the tent, one pulling air in through the bottom and out the top, and 2 smaller fans stirring the air in the tent all around, one at the floor level under the canopy and one above the canopy. It heats it up for sure due to the dehumidifier, but controllable on a cool/warm day without turning on the A/C in the house. Still controllable on a hot day but need to be around to monitor.

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

I personally can't exhaust outside, but I bought a 50pint vermi dehumidifier and keeping it in in the same room as my 4x4 (kept by air intake) does a great job. It does kick out heat, but that's how they work so I wouldn't recommend throwing it in the actual tent, it will raise temperature substantially

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

It does kick out heat, but that's how they work so I wouldn't recommend throwing it in the actual tent, it will raise temperature substantially
I am not sure about this particular unit, but mine also raises the temp in the room substantially, which is then sucked into the tent. Can't open windows and doors because that brings fresh, unconditioned air into the room. It's a catch 22 of sorts. I got it to work both ways, inside and outside the tent, but both involved using the house A/C.

RJenZen

RJenZen

I got the Ivation 14 pint dehu yesterday. Fits right in and brought the RH% from an uncontrollable 68-71 down to the 50-55 RH% range. Very happy with it. As far as heat, I'm running an ACinfinity 4" inline piped through the window out a dryer vent. I have their carbon filter but the plants got so tall plus the alley where they vent is always a strong breeze (ocean down the block) so I removed it. Noticed no difference in smell. The AC is on in house and temps in tent float around 77-84, 84-ish right around when the dehu kicks off so I'm very happy. This is my 1st grow (hydro dwc) and I feel it's going very well so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom