Deleaf ? It's Getting Crowded! :\

• Thread starter Medigrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Medigrow

Medigrow

I would need a little advice...

PLEASE, don't start a war deleaf vs no deleaf... :D I already defoliate 50% (of the growspace area to make a VS) and where I defoliated, seems the lower buds are much better than then one without deleaf... More mature/bigger/less larfy.

Am I better defoliate (or remove a lots of leaves?) It's getting crowded out there... Kinda afraid of PM.

End of 6th week, 8 week strains... Am I better removing all leaves for the last 2 weeks? Afraid of locking everything down if I go commando in there and lost yield. It's started to turn brown (second picture)

If removing only few leaves, am I better to remove only the upper region or go down the canopy and remove from there and make my way up?

Thank you! :)

Flcrowded001
Deleaf  its getting crowded 2
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You are fine to pull leaves at this point but personally I'd do it over the course of a few days. Anything shading out lower budsites, and anything so low it's not getting light should come off. I do it to an extent. I'm still not sold on total defoliation as I've had buds get extra leafy the one time I tried it and now Im a scared to... But I do selectively defoliate throughout flower.

Medigrow

Medigrow

You are fine to pull leaves at this point but personally I'd do it over the course of a few days. Anything shading out lower budsites, and anything so low it's not getting light should come off. I do it to an extent. I'm still not sold on total defoliation as I've had buds get extra leafy the one time I tried it and now Im a scared to... But I do selectively defoliate throughout flower.

Do you remove the large leaves like the one down on the second picture?
Yes, I was scared removing everything at once, afraid of stunting them, seems they gain much of their weight in the last two weeks so.. :)

Thanks for your input Dirtbag.. (i'm just using your nick and not insulting you!!) eheh

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Do you remove the large leaves like the one down on the second picture?
Yes, I was scared removing everything at once, afraid of stunting them, seems they gain much of their weight in the last two weeks so.. :)

Thanks for your input Dirtbag.. (i'm just using your nick and not insulting you!!) eheh

Lol I'm kinda regretting that handle now but whatever... I was staring at a bale of promix when I joined ..

I wouldn't snip anything that is growing out of a bud like that. You can get mold growth on the petiole where it was cut if the bud restricts airflow from it, but I probably would have removed that one a couple weeks ago before the bud enveloped it. Those big leaves, I'd just cut in half with some clean scissors if they're really blocking light, or just use clean fingernails to pinch off individual leaflets. The only leaves I remove are big sun leaves attached to the node junction just underneath the buds.

Plants looks great BTW, nice job!

Medigrow

Medigrow

Lol I'm kinda regretting that handle now but whatever... I was staring at a bale of promix when I joined ..

I wouldn't snip anything that is growing out of a bud like that. You can get mold growth on the petiole where it was cut if the bud restricts airflow from it, but I probably would have removed that one a couple weeks ago before the bud enveloped it. Those big leaves, I'd just cut in half with some clean scissors if they're really blocking light, or just use clean fingernails to pinch off individual leaflets. The only leaves I remove are big sun leaves attached to the node junction just underneath the buds.

Plants looks great BTW, nice job!

Ahahah if we knew what everyone had in mind when picking their nickname... That would be a funny thread to start!!

This is my first grow and kinda overwhelmed but looks really good so far, anxious to chop N dry N ... inhale! :)

Ill start the leaves removal tomorrow over few days, to open up the crowded space. I was afraid of removing leaves, especially the ones like the one I talked about.

Thank you again! :smoking:

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Selective leaf pruning is something that I do from about 3 weeks onward. I just pick a few leaves that are blocking some of the lower canopy's light. The buds need direct light to grow well, so any light that get down under the top of the plant is beneficial. I just pull a few here and there...but I do it for the full grow cycle. It takes a little more work, but the results are worth it. Your results may vary.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Selective leaf pruning is something that I do from about 3 weeks onward. I just pick a few leaves that are blocking some of the lower canopy's light. The buds need direct light to grow well, so any light that get down under the top of the plant is beneficial. I just pull a few here and there...but I do it for the full grow cycle. It takes a little more work, but the results are worth it. Your results may vary.
Ya man. I have to say in the defoliate/ not defoliate debate, middle ground is where it’s at. “Selective pruning” for sure. Depends on the strain also. I have indica s i defoliate heavy and a sativa (with less leaves in general) that I rarely take any leaves as it needs most of its leaves

Medigrow

Medigrow

Ya man. I have to say in the defoliate/ not defoliate debate, middle ground is where it’s at. “Selective pruning” for sure. Depends on the strain also. I have indica s i defoliate heavy and a sativa (with less leaves in general) that I rarely take any leaves as it needs most of its leaves

That's why I wrote I didn't want to start a war... ahah ~2 weeks left so... remove leafs that are blocking the light to canopy's bottom or let things go this way but afraid of PM since it's damn crowded :D

3 balls

3 balls

I personally go ape shit on my fan leaves over the course of week six. Fluffy buds that don't get enough light just aren't worth the time it takes to trim em these days.
It might not amount to fuck all but I snip the stem of the leaves with scissors, my logic being, it may be less stressful than yanking and tearing.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ya man.“Selective pruning” for sure. Depends on the strain also. I have indica s i defoliate heavy and a sativa (with less leaves in general) that I rarely take any leaves as it needs most of its leaves
I forgot to mention this. Some strains, usually Indica and Indica hybrids, have a shorter stature and a thick canopy. Sativa's usually are taller with less dense vegetation and need less pruning....but every plant is different as is every grow operation. The bottom line is that direct light on bud sites grows larger/heavier buds. The less leaves on a plant, the less energy it can make. Somewhere in between those two extremes lies the answer.

Medigrow

Medigrow

Leaves removed! Fuck, took me 5 hours!
Still many leaves, I removed the big shit and well, to get light down there, there's buds everywhere, I'm scared of trimming that shit ahah

Top Bottom