Destiny Exotic Genetics - Glueberry Muffin - Gavita 1700e - Rockwool

• Thread starter PpmOver9000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

This is my second go at it in this tent and just wanted to post up some of my progress so far. I have a lot of the users on here to thank, such as @Dirtbag @Aqua Man @cemchris @Anthem. I will list a few things that I learned from them and many others. This is in hopes that someone will find it of value if they are growing in the same fashion, to thank the ones that helped me, and to keep a record for myself to refer to so I don't make the same mistakes twice.

Temp
1st Run - had no experience with LEDs and ran the room as if it was HIDs at around 78 F
2nd Run - running the room at 82 F after learning LEDs don't produce much ambient heat so the room must be hotter to get the right leaf temperature

Flipping
1st Run - put the room to sleep for a day and just went straight to 12/12 and carried on
2nd Run - flushed with diluted nutrients before putting the room to sleep and going to 12/12, then starting off light on the nutrients for a few days. I didn't take into account the long period of darkness would inevitably cause massive salt buildup in the rockwool. So to combat this, I did a small flush before going 12/12 then easing it back into the nutrient program

Trimming/Lollipop
1st Run - did a normal trim a few days before flipping and left about 6 or 7 nodes on each branch
2nd Run - did a much heavier trimming this time around because i was absolutely shocked at how much they bounced back the first time and ended up giving me lots of larf underneath the canopy

Canopy Management
1st Run - grew from seed and saw all types of phenos with the canopy looking like a candle graph of alt coins.
2nd Run - grew from seed again but got off my lazy ass to re-arrange the plants based on size, made it look like a stadium with the big plants in the back and the short plants in the front, and lowered the lights for the short side of the room.

Nutrients
1st Run - while knowingly understanding it's a common mistake, I still overdid the nutrients and was in a constant cycle of feeding too strong of a mix and having to flush periodically
2nd Run - keeping the nutrient mix around 800ppm and instead of changing the nutrients, I am optimizing my watering habits/schedule. Now they are in cycle and have never had to flush thus far

Feeding
1st Run - just did some gorilla math in my head and turned on my feed timers the moment they were about a foot tall and made a terrible and lazy assumption that I could automate everything
2nd Run - spent a lot more time with the plants and made sure to feed them manually when they needed it to get much better dry/wet cycles. Albeit they are now on timers, but it's because I've learned the general beat of when they like feedings and check in weekly for adjustments as they get hungrier

Ph Probes
1st Run - didn't clean or calibrate my probes at all; i know some people on here say they only do this once per grow but i found a lot of issues to be fixed the moment i clean and calibrate
2nd Run - clean/calibrate every week

Looking at ph/ec numbers
1st Run - looked at the numbers inside the rockwool cubes and started drastically adjusting my ph to compensate for ph swings, did a lot more harm than good
2nd Run - looking at the numbers much less now and focusing more on what the plants up top look like and just monitoring the runoff ec to ensure no salt buildup. Learned that there is nothing actually wrong and me constantly trying to fix what aint broken is just causing problems. Feeding at some drastically low or high ph to compensate was just pissing the plants off.

Seedlings
1st Run - used a humidity dome because I am used to growing from clone
2nd Run - learned that they dont need domes, the seedlings had a much better start this go around.

Rockwool
1st Run - fed to lots and lots of runoff with a strong nutrient mix
2nd Run - learned about the magic of crop steering! Rockwool likes these mini feedings throughout the day based on what stage you're in (veg=feedings closer together, flower=feedings further apart) So rather than a strong nutrient mix and tons of runoff, plants in rockwool respond well to a slightly lower ec and a bunch of small feedings throughtout the day so they get these mini wet/dry cycles every 30 min or an hour. By the second half of the day i will see the first runoff and the root zone will have a fresh mix for the rest of the day and the following night to enjoy eating. And jesus, water savings galore..

I could probably add more but those were the most impactful ones. Anyways, I hope to keep up the progress reports on here and keep learning from you great folks! Ain't ever going to be perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than the first time. Here's a pic; day 4 of flower.

Destiny exotic genetics   glueberry muffin   gavita 1700e   rockwool
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is my second go at it in this tent and just wanted to post up some of my progress so far. I have a lot of the users on here to thank, such as @Dirtbag @Aqua Man @cemchris @Anthem. I will list a few things that I learned from them and many others. This is in hopes that someone will find it of value if they are growing in the same fashion, to thank the ones that helped me, and to keep a record for myself to refer to so I don't make the same mistakes twice.

Temp
1st Run - had no experience with LEDs and ran the room as if it was HIDs at around 78 F
2nd Run - running the room at 82 F after learning LEDs don't produce much ambient heat so the room must be hotter to get the right leaf temperature

Flipping
1st Run - put the room to sleep for a day and just went straight to 12/12 and carried on
2nd Run - flushed with diluted nutrients before putting the room to sleep and going to 12/12, then starting off light on the nutrients for a few days. I didn't take into account the long period of darkness would inevitably cause massive salt buildup in the rockwool. So to combat this, I did a small flush before going 12/12 then easing it back into the nutrient program

Trimming/Lollipop
1st Run - did a normal trim a few days before flipping and left about 6 or 7 nodes on each branch
2nd Run - did a much heavier trimming this time around because i was absolutely shocked at how much they bounced back the first time and ended up giving me lots of larf underneath the canopy

Canopy Management
1st Run - grew from seed and saw all types of phenos with the canopy looking like a candle graph of alt coins.
2nd Run - grew from seed again but got off my lazy ass to re-arrange the plants based on size, made it look like a stadium with the big plants in the back and the short plants in the front, and lowered the lights for the short side of the room.

Nutrients
1st Run - while knowingly understanding it's a common mistake, I still overdid the nutrients and was in a constant cycle of feeding too strong of a mix and having to flush periodically
2nd Run - keeping the nutrient mix around 800ppm and instead of changing the nutrients, I am optimizing my watering habits/schedule. Now they are in cycle and have never had to flush thus far

Feeding
1st Run - just did some gorilla math in my head and turned on my feed timers the moment they were about a foot tall and made a terrible and lazy assumption that I could automate everything
2nd Run - spent a lot more time with the plants and made sure to feed them manually when they needed it to get much better dry/wet cycles. Albeit they are now on timers, but it's because I've learned the general beat of when they like feedings and check in weekly for adjustments as they get hungrier

Ph Probes
1st Run - didn't clean or calibrate my probes at all; i know some people on here say they only do this once per grow but i found a lot of issues to be fixed the moment i clean and calibrate
2nd Run - clean/calibrate every week

Looking at ph/ec numbers
1st Run - looked at the numbers inside the rockwool cubes and started drastically adjusting my ph to compensate for ph swings, did a lot more harm than good
2nd Run - looking at the numbers much less now and focusing more on what the plants up top look like and just monitoring the runoff ec to ensure no salt buildup. Learned that there is nothing actually wrong and me constantly trying to fix what aint broken is just causing problems. Feeding at some drastically low or high ph to compensate was just pissing the plants off.

Seedlings
1st Run - used a humidity dome because I am used to growing from clone
2nd Run - learned that they dont need domes, the seedlings had a much better start this go around.

Rockwool
1st Run - fed to lots and lots of runoff with a strong nutrient mix
2nd Run - learned about the magic of crop steering! Rockwool likes these mini feedings throughout the day based on what stage you're in (veg=feedings closer together, flower=feedings further apart) So rather than a strong nutrient mix and tons of runoff, plants in rockwool respond well to a slightly lower ec and a bunch of small feedings throughtout the day so they get these mini wet/dry cycles every 30 min or an hour. By the second half of the day i will see the first runoff and the root zone will have a fresh mix for the rest of the day and the following night to enjoy eating. And jesus, water savings galore..

I could probably add more but those were the most impactful ones. Anyways, I hope to keep up the progress reports on here and keep learning from you great folks! Ain't ever going to be perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than the first time. Here's a pic; day 4 of flower.
The begginings of a grow Bible here sir 👍great recap.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Stalked too many of your posts on this forum haha. You are a great help to everyone on here, thank you sir!
Appreciate the kind words brother. Just trying to pay some forward... I had many of hands helping me and especially from those you mentioned. Many heads are better than one and we can all learn something from everyone if we are willing to keep an open mind. Thise guys you listed have taught me a shit ton over the years.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Appreciate the kind words brother. Just trying to pay some forward... I had many of hands helping me and especially from those you mentioned. Many heads are better than one and we can all learn something from everyone if we are willing to keep an open mind. Thise guys you listed have taught me a shit ton over the years.
Happy to do so my man! That reminds me, I would've also tagged sshz. He's kind of the reason I got these glueberry muffins because he mentioned he would also be growing them. So I thought I could start mine at the same time and follow along his grow diary. But his account seems to be gone. Any idea where he's at?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Happy to do so my man! That reminds me, I would've also tagged sshz. He's kind of the reason I got these glueberry muffins because he mentioned he would also be growing them. So I thought I could start mine at the same time and follow along his grow diary. But his account seems to be gone. Any idea where he's at?
Got the ban... was not happy he put himself in that position but yeah sucks.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

This newb appreciates your detailed post, but now I’m worried about my leaf temps. 😅
i would say its the most important factor if you're trying to dial in VPD. I just kind of ignored it in the past because I was using HID lights and the leaf temperature just kind of took care of itself. I only started paying more attention to it cuz LEDs produce so little heat on the canopy; some but nowhere nearly as much as HIDs haha. Appreciate the thanks! Better each day is the goal!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This newb appreciates your detailed post, but now I’m worried about my leaf temps. 😅
Don need to worry. Just something to be aware of. With LED a generally number will be around 5f cooler than air temp. But could be anywhere from 2-10f difference

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes we have to give many thanks to your Super Hero here on the farm. Glad to have @Aqua Man
I just spend the most time posting... and all the shit I post is what I have learned from you and many other great growers here. No super hero... definitely don't wanna be one.... absolutely hate them lol.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Ok, this is as even as a canopy I could get it today. Used risers on the shortest plants but ran out of them, so this is pretty much it for canopy management. Going to do some light defoliation daily as I see fit as well as some super cropping on the tallest ones. I also lowered the height of the lights to about 20 inches, using a PAR meter the PPFD is reading around 900-1000 on average around the top of the canopy. This won't hurt the plants in the way of light burn since I ran it at this height last time but I was curious about the light height if anyone wants to chime in:

Last run I lowered the light around week 5 well after stretch was over, these plants are only in day 8. My thinking was that last run I didn't maximize the total DLI for the entire run so I want to push them closer to their limits this time. A buddy of mine said this is going to minimize stretch and might not be a good idea considering I do have a decent amount of vertical space left. So I guess my main question is, should I put the light height back to where it was and have the plants stretch into the light or is lowering it this early going to be bad for any reason'?

20210722 154040
20210722 154124
Anthem

Anthem

Ok, this is as even as a canopy I could get it today. Used risers on the shortest plants but ran out of them, so this is pretty much it for canopy management. Going to do some light defoliation daily as I see fit as well as some super cropping on the tallest ones. I also lowered the height of the lights to about 20 inches, using a PAR meter the PPFD is reading around 900-1000 on average around the top of the canopy. This won't hurt the plants in the way of light burn since I ran it at this height last time but I was curious about the light height if anyone wants to chime in:

Last run I lowered the light around week 5 well after stretch was over, these plants are only in day 8. My thinking was that last run I didn't maximize the total DLI for the entire run so I want to push them closer to their limits this time. A buddy of mine said this is going to minimize stretch and might not be a good idea considering I do have a decent amount of vertical space left. So I guess my main question is, should I put the light height back to where it was and have the plants stretch into the light or is lowering it this early going to be bad for any reason'?
Once you switch to 12/12 I would try to keep the lights at 20" and secondly I would move the plants around based on height. Tallest plants around the outside of the fixture to get less DLI and hopefully less grow and smaller plants getting maximum PPFD for more growth.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Once you switch to 12/12 I would try to keep the lights at 20" and secondly I would move the plants around based on height. Tallest plants around the outside of the fixture to get less DLI and hopefully less grow and smaller plants getting maximum PPFD for more growth.
Nice thanks anthem, this is almost to the dot what I was thinking and doing. So keeping it at a consistent 20" from flip would probably mean I have to raise it slowly as the plants grow? Or in your experience do they typically just stay kind of stout.

Anthem

Anthem

Nice thanks anthem, this is almost to the dot what I was thinking and doing. So keeping it at a consistent 20" from flip would probably mean I have to raise it slowly as the plants grow? Or in your experience do they typically just stay kind of stout.
They will still stretch. In my experience it is strain dependent. I will shoot you a PM

Top Bottom