Diahydro - Anyone use this product?

• Thread starter Slick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Slick

The guy at the store recomended this stuff to me and it seems like a really good alternative to clay pebbles for DWC, etc but really would like some opinions from here before I splash the cash on it.

Description:
Diahydro™ consists of the fossilised shells of algae (diatoms) that lived millions of years ago. Diahydro™ is produced from natural earth of a fresh water source. Products containing saltwater diatomite can contain high levels of impurities which significantly reduce the positive characteristics of Diahydro™ , by clogging the diatoms and reducing absorbency potential. Diatomite is extremely high in Silica (87-94%), an essential component for the growth of plants and strengthening of cell walls.

* 100% natural.
* High silica content (87-94%).
* Super absorbency (150% of own weight in water).
* Optimal thermal conditioning at the root level.
* Protection from crawling insects.
* Chemically Inert.
* PH neutral (6-7).
* Does not agglomerate due to multi-faceted structure.
* High cation-anion exchange (CEC*) of 42.

Thanks folks.

P

Pyro G.

I cant say i've ever heard of da shit. I did check out their website.....seemz interesting. I dont like the idea of not being able re-use diahydro grow after grow. I mean, damn.....using fresh diahydro w/ every grow can get pretty expensive. results look cool, but i'd probably trust a side by side comparison done by one of our farmers here before i spend a penny.

S

Slick

Thanks for the input Pyro, I think I may just have to be that guinea pig. I will try anything once hehe

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Hey Slick, my hydro store gives away gardening magazines and one of which is called "Maximum Yield USA". It's a really cool read each month with a great amount of info for beginners and the more experienced. Here's a copy and past from the Nov. 08 article intitaled "Roots & Rooting Media"

Diatomaceous rock. Diatomaceous rock looks like any old gravel to most people but it’s really quite different (Figure 2). Diatomaceous rock is a fossil-material composed of the remains of ancient microscopic organisms known as diatoms. Diatoms are a type of unicellular algae that are still common today in both fresh water and marine environments (Figure 3). In certain parts of the world during times past, diatoms were so numerous that when they died they piled on top of each other in great numbers, eventually compressing together to form a unique kind of sedimentary rock. Unlike regular gravel, diatomaceous rock is highly porous (this is because of the structure of the diatoms themselves). For this reason it is a bit lighter, retains water well and allows for good air penetration. Like sand and gravel, it is cleanable and reusable (no disposal needed).

According to some studies, the silica that is made available by the fossilized diatom “skeletons” is also beneficial for plants. Although silicon is not known to be an essential element, it has been shown to add structural strength to cell walls and discourage predation.

Most diatomaceous rock is of marine origin, so it contains an unacceptable salt content, making it unsuitable for hydroponic use. Only a few mines contain material of fresh water origin that are of horticultural grade. It is less readily available to obtain in horticultural grade (you may have to order it from specialty supplier) and will thus be more expensive than gravel.

This article can be found in it's entirity at maximumyield.com archeived articles Nov. 08.

jj

I hope this does not go against forum policy, my apologies if it does.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I use this as a top dressing for soil and coco when I have thrip and fungas nats.

Cover all surfaces of the medium, hang a few sticky yellow traps and bugs gone in under a week,

The diahydro is made up of tiny jagged edges that rip the bugs and larvee apart then dehydrate the said bug to death. Lovely - works a treat! Silica is good for the plant also when being watered some gets dragged through to the root zone.

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

i am gonna try this stuff in my dwc in a week or so ,so check my thread 1's in a while i will check yours 2 message me wen u start your diary

Peace
N$

S

Slick

Thanks for the info herb and JJ, it seems more and more appealing for DWC even if the benefit over hydroton pebbles is only marginal. The price doesn't seem to steep either, 40 litres for £13.

Notorious, thanks bro I will be watching your diary very closely and will be getting around to doing one myself in a month or so hopefully. I will probably do a side by side comparison with the hydroton though that may be a bit ambitious for my first grow. lol

marlboro05

marlboro05

It looks good. All posts I find say that performs better than the Hydroton Rocks.
Keeps the roots protected from crawling incests too.
What worries me is that their domain is for sale..

S

Strictly_Kush

This is the same thing as Hygromite, Dyna grow also makes a brand of it called Dyna-Rok II... It is supposed to have many benefits, I know several people who use this stuff and they have nothing bad to say about it.. After a while of running nutrients through it the rocks turn a brownish color... I dont see how thats a problem though...

X

Xceptional

strictly kush this is a old ass thread bro. either way the link in the original post is down so they pulled their site down because their product wasnt selling...

Top Bottom