Diary Of A Guerrilla Farmer

• Thread starter TortureKill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TortureKill

TortureKill

July 12th

After moving to a new home this spring, Ive been trying to learn the land, and been using a lot of spare time to scout. West of my backyard is a large patch of woods. Mostly swamps, and heavily wooded, with a lot of scrub brush. The ferns have been over 5 ft high since June. All of my plants were started in this patch of woods, inside a marshy clearing.

Further Southwest, there are 2 cornfields that border these woods. Ive had my eye on them since April. It was evident that field corn had been plotted their the previous year, as the stalks were still left in the field. Ive been watching and waiting for this field to be tilled and planted all summer. The corn was planted late, and wasn't quite "knee high by the 4th of July". Ive been wanting to get my plants in for weeks, but the corn just wasn't high enough for me to enter. Years of experience growing in corn, I know the fields will be sprayed with pesticides before they reach waist high. This allows the tractor and sprayers to move over the tops of the corn without damaging the stalks.

The two fields run parallel, north to south, with a dry creek running between them. Along the creek is wooded, and thick with prickers, trees, and about 20 yards wide of underbrush. To the left and right of each field are houses, just out of sight.
I havent discovered who owns and farms the field, but have made it my order of business not to be noticed by either residence.

Today, I ventured out to the field to see if the corn had grown any.. I stumbled thru the wooded area, and thru the marsh, finally reaching the clearing where my box of plants sat.
I could see the field from here. I was feeling brave. I snatched up my bag of promix/compost, polymer water crystals, alfalfa pellets, and with my german folding shovel attached to my belt, I jogged along the wooded strip between the fields. 3/4 of the way to the top of the field I set all of my gear just inside this thicket.
I took a moment to listen around me, and accustomed myself with the sounds. I found a spot I could peer across both sides of the fields to watch for anyone entering. No movement insight, and only the chirp of birds and buzzing insects. I grabbed my soil, shovel, and amendments, and walked 20 rows into the corn.
Barely knee high, the corn didn't offer much cover. I had to stay low while working my way through, digging and amending holes for my girls.
Laying down, I dug the first couple holes, sifting out the large rocks, and loosening a large footprint where the plants would later be plotted. Alfalfa pellets went to the bottom, follow by a mix of the native dirt/promix/compost. On top of this was a mixture of promix and water crystals.
A horse winnied, and it sounded as if it were right next to me in the neighboring field. I jumped up and darted for cover in the strip of brush between the two fields. Peering thru the other side, looking for the source of the sound, and watching for movement. I waited a few minutes until I heard it again, this time I could recognize the horse was a good distance away at a nearby farm. I let my nerves settle as I watched and listened for another minute.

Grabbing my shovel, back into the field I went, counting in 20 rows where i had left off. I worked my way diagonally through the field digging a couple holes every 5-8 rows. Every noise had me on edge, I could hear tractors, cars, and trucks passing the neighboring road. Each one I would listen, to ensure they weren't coming closer before clanging my shovel into the earth. I dug a lot with my hands, removing rocks and tossing them out of the way.

I struggled to listen to my surroundings as deer flies buzzed around my head and in my ears. Laying on the ground, I worked meticulously, occasionally peeking up over the corn to make sure no one was able to sneak up on me.

I could hear the sound of a tractor in the distance.. my nerves were starting to settle the longer I spent in the field, and I dismissed it as a neighbor mowing. I couldn't help but notice the sound of the tractor motor as it came closer, I shot outta the field, carefully stepping over each row, ensuring no stalks were damaged. I got to my hiding spot just inside the strip of brush, eyes scanning the entrance to the other field. No tractor. It sounded close. Real Close but I couldn't spot it.
I waited a few minutes before I stepped out of the brush and into the clearing. At the bottom of the field, at the end of the strip of brush running between the fields, I seen the red tractor. I darted back into the brush, heart pounding like a drum. I sheathed my shovel, and drug my box of plants deeper into the brush.
As a rule of thumb, I never put any plants into the field, until all holes are dug, and Im ready to split..they all go in at once.
Only thing worse than getting caught trespassing in a farmers field and digging holes, is getting caught in the field with pot plants.
I busted through the brush and jumped into the dry creek bed. Mind racing, as I realize I broke a major rule. I left my bag of promix/compost and the bag of polymer water crystals in the field! (Always take everything out of the field with you, leave nothing behind) :sweating
I tried to listen as the tractor moved closer to me, but all I could hear was the drumming in my chest and ears. I moved thru the thick strip of brush and trees, crawling over branches and through prickers. I tried to get some distance between myself and the farmer, while still being able to see him, always leaving myself a few outs. I knew he wouldn't be able to get through the thicket without me seeing him, and I would sprint through the field as a last resort if I had to get away. I moved along the creek, towards the top corner of the field. The tractor was headed right towards the corner of the field, and myself.

I jetted back towards the way I came through the underbrush, trying to spot the tractor. He had already reached the top of the field, and was headed back down. Was he looking for me? Did he see me? I caught a glimpse of the farmer thru a small hole in the brush, and seen he was headed back away from me. Was he leaving? Did he see my box of plants just inside the weeds? Could he see my footprints and holes thru the field? I sat and watched him, making sure he couldn't see me. As he came back towards the top of the field, I noticed he was dragging a sprayer! He was spraying the field! He was moving away from the area I was working and digging in. How didn't he notice the white bag, and the holes I had dug? I continued to watch him as he moved up and down the field, slowly moving away from me. I looked where he was looking. His eyes mostly fixed ahead of the tractor. His sprayer extended out several rows, maybe he didnt even notice the bag and the holes.

Settled in the underbrush, I let my pulse and nerves settle. I threw in a pinch of chew, and started to ponder how similar the farmer and I were. We were both just trying to get a season's crop in. Giving our plants the best care we could to ensure the best harvest in the fall. He was trying to feed his animals, and Im trying to provide medicine. I thought about all of the quality seeds this field would provide me with. I thought about all of the growers and people who would benefit from these few plants. I worked my way out the other side of the wooded strip, as he moved up to the top of the field, I jogged down the other side, staying low. Just before he turned to make his trip back down, I shot across the clearing and into the wooded swamp that made its way to my house, the whole way thinking. What if i put those plants in a day or a week sooner than today, they would have been killed. Its a good thing I didn't rush to get them in. Deciding to head home for rest, and come back at dawn to set the plants. Later will be better neways. Atleast now I know the field has been sprayed, No worries. Sometimes I wonder why I do this, but its scares like this that make it even more appealing to me. Cheap thrills I suppose.

Feeling lucky I burst through the door of my home settling down with a big glass of water, pouring sweat, and counted my blessings.
:banana1sv6:​

I got the idea for these stories today after all this happened. I enjoy writing, and If you guys are into reading these, I will continue with entries.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Very much enjoyed it+ 1... great story, well written!

you ever read/watch any of brown dirt warriors stuff?

TortureKill

TortureKill

Very much enjoyed it+ 1... great story, well written!

you ever read/watch any of brown dirt warriors stuff?
Thank you.
Oh yea, Brown dirt Is a great guy. We speak with regularly, I have loads of respect for him.

coloradochem

coloradochem

very cool man, nicely written, ill keep reading em.:movie

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
That was a very cool entry.

I do that planting at night unless the corn is taller because you never know who can be watching from the houses in the country. Country folks are always watching for critters or whatever from their windows or porch. Looking to pop off a groundhog.

But you my friend are definitely in the game and worthy of being on my guerilla team anytime.

TortureKill

TortureKill

That was a very cool entry.

I do that planting at night unless the corn is taller because you never know who can be watching from the houses in the country. Country folks are always watching for critters or whatever from their windows or porch. Looking to pop off a groundhog.

But you my friend are definitely in the game and worthy of being on my guerilla team anytime.

Thanks for taking the time to have a read tobor, a lot of people will see all of that text and jump right bac haha. I figured some of yas would enjoy it. Stay cool bro:banana1sv6:

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

when I see a big block of text, I read a bit to if its going to be interesting, your story pulls the reader in.. so it kept me reading :)

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Subbed!
Love the way you tell your tale my friend. It takes me back to younger years.
Looking forward to reading more.
FJ

Mogrow

Mogrow

great story TK, glad ya didn't have to speak with mr farmer dude. i know what you mean about "why i do this". especially guerilla style, but it's all i know, so it's all i do... its 103 out and hasn't rained in weeks, i'll be out with my bucket later tonight.
KEEP THE STORIES ROLLIN, NO SAD ENDINGS TOO PLZ>>>
peace mogrow:icon_animal26:

S

Sunbiz1

July 12th

After moving to a new home this spring, Ive been trying to learn the land, and been using a lot of spare time to scout. West of my backyard is a large patch of woods. Mostly swamps, and heavily wooded, with a lot of scrub brush. The ferns have been over 5 ft high since June. All of my plants were started in this patch of woods, inside a marshy clearing.

Further Southwest, there are 2 cornfields that border these woods. Ive had my eye on them since April. It was evident that field corn had been plotted their the previous year, as the stalks were still left in the field. Ive been watching and waiting for this field to be tilled and planted all summer. The corn was planted late, and wasn't quite "knee high by the 4th of July". Ive been wanting to get my plants in for weeks, but the corn just wasn't high enough for me to enter. Years of experience growing in corn, I know the fields will be sprayed with pesticides before they reach waist high. This allows the tractor and sprayers to move over the tops of the corn without damaging the stalks.

The two fields run parallel, north to south, with a dry creek running between them. Along the creek is wooded, and thick with prickers, trees, and about 20 yards wide of underbrush. To the left and right of each field are houses, just out of sight.
I havent discovered who owns and farms the field, but have made it my order of business not to be noticed by either residence.

Today, I ventured out to the field to see if the corn had grown any.. I stumbled thru the wooded area, and thru the marsh, finally reaching the clearing where my box of plants sat.
I could see the field from here. I was feeling brave. I snatched up my bag of promix/compost, polymer water crystals, alfalfa pellets, and with my german folding shovel attached to my belt, I jogged along the wooded strip between the fields. 3/4 of the way to the top of the field I set all of my gear just inside this thicket.
I took a moment to listen around me, and accustomed myself with the sounds. I found a spot I could peer across both sides of the fields to watch for anyone entering. No movement insight, and only the chirp of birds and buzzing insects. I grabbed my soil, shovel, and amendments, and walked 20 rows into the corn.
Barely knee high, the corn didn't offer much cover. I had to stay low while working my way through, digging and amending holes for my girls.
Laying down, I dug the first couple holes, sifting out the large rocks, and loosening a large footprint where the plants would later be plotted. Alfalfa pellets went to the bottom, follow by a mix of the native dirt/promix/compost. On top of this was a mixture of promix and water crystals.
A horse winnied, and it sounded as if it were right next to me in the neighboring field. I jumped up and darted for cover in the strip of brush between the two fields. Peering thru the other side, looking for the source of the sound, and watching for movement. I waited a few minutes until I heard it again, this time I could recognize the horse was a good distance away at a nearby farm. I let my nerves settle as I watched and listened for another minute.

Grabbing my shovel, back into the field I went, counting in 20 rows where i had left off. I worked my way diagonally through the field digging a couple holes every 5-8 rows. Every noise had me on edge, I could hear tractors, cars, and trucks passing the neighboring road. Each one I would listen, to ensure they weren't coming closer before clanging my shovel into the earth. I dug a lot with my hands, removing rocks and tossing them out of the way.

I struggled to listen to my surroundings as deer flies buzzed around my head and in my ears. Laying on the ground, I worked meticulously, occasionally peeking up over the corn to make sure no one was able to sneak up on me.

I could hear the sound of a tractor in the distance.. my nerves were starting to settle the longer I spent in the field, and I dismissed it as a neighbor mowing. I couldn't help but notice the sound of the tractor motor as it came closer, I shot outta the field, carefully stepping over each row, ensuring no stalks were damaged. I got to my hiding spot just inside the strip of brush, eyes scanning the entrance to the other field. No tractor. It sounded close. Real Close but I couldn't spot it.
I waited a few minutes before I stepped out of the brush and into the clearing. At the bottom of the field, at the end of the strip of brush running between the fields, I seen the red tractor. I darted back into the brush, heart pounding like a drum. I sheathed my shovel, and drug my box of plants deeper into the brush.
As a rule of thumb, I never put any plants into the field, until all holes are dug, and Im ready to split..they all go in at once.
Only thing worse than getting caught trespassing in a farmers field and digging holes, is getting caught in the field with pot plants.
I busted through the brush and jumped into the dry creek bed. Mind racing, as I realize I broke a major rule. I left my bag of promix/compost and the bag of polymer water crystals in the field! (Always take everything out of the field with you, leave nothing behind) :sweating
I tried to listen as the tractor moved closer to me, but all I could hear was the drumming in my chest and ears. I moved thru the thick strip of brush and trees, crawling over branches and through prickers. I tried to get some distance between myself and the farmer, while still being able to see him, always leaving myself a few outs. I knew he wouldn't be able to get through the thicket without me seeing him, and I would sprint through the field as a last resort if I had to get away. I moved along the creek, towards the top corner of the field. The tractor was headed right towards the corner of the field, and myself.

I jetted back towards the way I came through the underbrush, trying to spot the tractor. He had already reached the top of the field, and was headed back down. Was he looking for me? Did he see me? I caught a glimpse of the farmer thru a small hole in the brush, and seen he was headed back away from me. Was he leaving? Did he see my box of plants just inside the weeds? Could he see my footprints and holes thru the field? I sat and watched him, making sure he couldn't see me. As he came back towards the top of the field, I noticed he was dragging a sprayer! He was spraying the field! He was moving away from the area I was working and digging in. How didn't he notice the white bag, and the holes I had dug? I continued to watch him as he moved up and down the field, slowly moving away from me. I looked where he was looking. His eyes mostly fixed ahead of the tractor. His sprayer extended out several rows, maybe he didnt even notice the bag and the holes.

Settled in the underbrush, I let my pulse and nerves settle. I threw in a pinch of chew, and started to ponder how similar the farmer and I were. We were both just trying to get a season's crop in. Giving our plants the best care we could to ensure the best harvest in the fall. He was trying to feed his animals, and Im trying to provide medicine. I thought about all of the quality seeds this field would provide me with. I thought about all of the growers and people who would benefit from these few plants. I worked my way out the other side of the wooded strip, as he moved up to the top of the field, I jogged down the other side, staying low. Just before he turned to make his trip back down, I shot across the clearing and into the wooded swamp that made its way to my house, the whole way thinking. What if i put those plants in a day or a week sooner than today, they would have been killed. Its a good thing I didn't rush to get them in. Deciding to head home for rest, and come back at dawn to set the plants. Later will be better neways. Atleast now I know the field has been sprayed, No worries. Sometimes I wonder why I do this, but its scares like this that make it even more appealing to me. Cheap thrills I suppose.

Feeling lucky I burst through the door of my home settling down with a big glass of water, pouring sweat, and counted my blessings.
:banana1sv6:​

I got the idea for these stories today after all this happened. I enjoy writing, and If you guys are into reading these, I will continue with entries.

Nice, thanks for the entries....good read.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Good read TK. You should try planting a few plants in about 3-6" of water in your swampy/boggy area. Make sure its a sunny area that gets plenty of morning sun. Take a bale of promix or sunshine and cut the bale in 1/2. Cut an X on the bottom of each 1/2 bale. Fluff each 1/2 bale up amend them with your dry fertilizer. Drop your plants in and watch them rip bro. You wont have to water all year. Works great. Been doing it for a while now. COuld be a little side experiment for you.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
This was awesome!!!! I couldn't stop reading I even had to re read to my girlfriend aloud please keep these up! You really know how to keep the reader Intrested and wanting more, good luck with your future indervers and I hope you pull down the havest of your life stay frosty bro and grow safe. Oh can you explain what those water crystals are and may e a few hint you look for when choosing a out door spit I do my Indoor thang but would love to try a outdoor grow it sounds exillerating and a real challenge.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Great story I love reading weed storys.. I sure will keep reading if u keep posting.. Thanks 4 sharing ur story with us it was a great read.. I was even gettin a Lil paranoid myself I kinda felt like I was in the corn field with u..

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

That's a great read man! I look forward to reading more as you post them.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Mr.GoodCat-
Ive thought about doing that. I get bales of promix 50% off from a buddy, that may be a technique I use next season. There are a few dry parts of the swamp that Im just growing in huge pots. Mostly male plants I will use for seed. I like to keep male plants and some other plants I plan to plant, mobile. Incase, they need to be moved around.

ProdigyGrower -
Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy writing and sharing experiences. The water polymer crystals are called Watersorb. They are a super absorbent polymer, that when moistened will retain water in the soil, and dramatically reduce the need for watering. I dont normally use them, but it's been a dry summer, and im expecting a dry hot fall in my area. A small handful of this stuff goes a long way in the garden.

MakinGoo & Mendo Cruz
Thanks for reading, glad u enjoyed it. There seems to be quite a few of yas interested so I will most definately keep up the entries.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

wow. That could have easily been an excerpt from my book circa 1990-1994. Nice tale. be careful out there. Farmers in our area kept shotguns loaded with rock salt rounds for guerilla farmers. I knew a guy who got a backside full of the stuff and he was in excruciating pain for weeks. I wrote a whole bunch of stuff about our guerilla OD grows, but destroyed it the late 90's when I was paranoid over it being used as evidence against me... that was dumb. Oh well. Thanks for the story!

G

gooey

thanks for sharing amigo i hope you are safe out there...keep fighting the good fight.

420alldaze

420alldaze

whats up tk? great story,definetly worth reading. never planted in coen. have to try that next year. be safe brotha. peacentreez

B

Badmf

Glad to see you writing something on guerilla style. there is more to it than knowing how to grow, eh? Peace Bad...

Top Bottom