Diatomaceous Earth On Buds

• Thread starter Mon20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mon20

Mon20

Hello everyone.. I am new here and I looked in the forums but couldn't find an answer to my question:

I had fungus gnats during my current grow and battled them with Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for a while (which worked). I'm approaching harvest and have been watering the plants to wash off any DE left on them but I'm not sure it will be COMPLETELY gone. My question is: What can I do and is it really bad to have some DE powder left on the buds (really minimal).

Huge thank in advance!!!

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I Wouldn't have put DE on the buds in the first place.

however DE is pretty innocuous. if you eat DE; its nothing but a bit of extra calcium for your body.

the only problem is no one knows what it will do when inhaled.

Next time use DE just on the soil and leaves.

Hello everyone.. I am new here and I looked in the forums but couldn't find an answer to my question:

I had fungus gnats during my current grow and battled them with Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for a while (which worked). I'm approaching harvest and have been watering the plants to wash off any DE left on them but I'm not sure it will be COMPLETELY gone. My question is: What can I do and is it really bad to have some DE powder left on the buds (really minimal).

Huge thank in advance!!!

showmegreen

showmegreen

Yeah most tha time you'd only scratchit inta tha first four inches of the top soil er so. Bet that dustin tha whole plant got rid uvem fer sure!? Lol. (Not laughin at ya, laughin fer ya) um if you ever smoked mexican brick weed, I bet you put a lot worser stuff in yer lungs. But aint none of it good for yer lungs. If theres alot still on em id be preferin ta makin dabs or wax or sumptin like that. And filter it of course.

Mon20

Mon20

I see. There is not much left on them really (I have to inspect the buds for a while before some DE) so I hope it's ok..!

Thanks for the tips guys :D

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I would do some dunks in water after harvest.. you'll be alright. Better than myclobutanil (eagle 20), turns into cyanide when ignited.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I would personally wash all my buds after a de douching. I would also inform all who smoke your product about this from a safety standpoint.

DE is like small glass shards that when the bugs walks thru it, it cuts them to shit. Imagine if that gets into tour lungs and starts working on your bronchial tubes or what you call it.

S

Skunkbeard

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0616.pdf

Just breathing the stuff is a health hazard. I wouldn't risk the possibility of inhaling any of it even if it's being combusted. Most people like to smell and break apart their flowers at which point particulate could be inhaled.

If you're smoking it and killing yourself it's one thing, but if you're selling it and allowing others to smoke it that's another. I would compost it all and start from scratch.

Mon20

Mon20

Thanks for the replies. I will wash the buds once I harvest and yeah I won't do the same mistake next time. With the amount of pesticides and dust that we ingest and inhale everyday... I don't think this is the worst thing that we could inhale... (myclobutanil in commercial weed)

Anyway, thanks again for the help people.

Satimina

Satimina

Thanks for the replies. I will wash the buds once I harvest and yeah I won't do the same mistake next time. With the amount of pesticides and dust that we ingest and inhale everyday... I don't think this is the worst thing that we could inhale... (myclobutanil in commercial weed)

Anyway, thanks again for the help people.

I tried this stuff on my shit recently, worked like a charm with no residuals that I can tell up through the pipe. I used it two days before harvest, killed my gnats and PM.
Spider Mite Eggsterminator it's called.

One thing that may help is a shop vac to suck it out, but u may damage your trich's. That DE cakes up pretty good when wet. Lesson learned i hope. Keep that DE in the soil during flower if needed.

showmegreen

showmegreen

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0616.pdf

Just breathing the stuff is a health hazard. I wouldn't risk the possibility of inhaling any of it even if it's being combusted. Most people like to smell and break apart their flowers at which point particulate could be inhaled.

If you're smoking it and killing yourself it's one thing, but if you're selling it and allowing others to smoke it that's another. I would compost it all and start from scratch.
My question is on turning it to oil via super refined N butane and filtering. That would save them some of their hard work don't ya think. Anybody?....
It' sad that this far along and one oops ruins the whole batch. There is always alternatives. It' just, is the risk worth the benefit? It' a decision thing I guess. If it was me.. I'd oil the shit up and be tha guinea pig! No make that one super stoned greasy hamster!!

P

PlantLife

Huge thank in advance!!!
Wow I just did the same Shit smh , had spider mites so I was trying everything. Happened to see Diatomaceous reviews and was excited to get rid of the pests so I went Crazy with the Duster it came with ... tried to spray the De Of with water.. it looked like it was off but the next morning it was the same as it was before I sprayed smh.. I live n Az and been keeping my plants outside in the day time to cut power costs.. but didn’t realize this would be a big problem.. now I can’t tell which leaves are sugar leaves and which ones are just De lol .. I’m very pissed but only at myself noob shit.. trying to decide if I’m gonna smoke this or just make hella edibles and concentrates .. they smell so loud and good though.. I drink The De also but don’t know what will happen if I spark it up. FUDGE!!!! Can someone smoke it and let me know lol?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Wow I just did the same Shit smh , had spider mites so I was trying everything. Happened to see Diatomaceous reviews and was excited to get rid of the pests so I went Crazy with the Duster it came with ... tried to spray the De Of with water.. it looked like it was off but the next morning it was the same as it was before I sprayed smh.. I live n Az and been keeping my plants outside in the day time to cut power costs.. but didn’t realize this would be a big problem.. now I can’t tell which leaves are sugar leaves and which ones are just De lol .. I’m very pissed but only at myself noob shit.. trying to decide if I’m gonna smoke this or just make hella edibles and concentrates .. they smell so loud and good though.. I drink The De also but don’t know what will happen if I spark it up. FUDGE!!!! Can someone smoke it and let me know lol?

I've had to do this before. It's important to wash the DE off before you harvest, and you will need to use moderate pressure garden hose and physically knead each bud and leaf under running water. The earlier, furthest from harvest you can do this, the less trichomes you'll lose, and the end product will be perfectly safe.

CheifLitterbug

CheifLitterbug

I don't know about mixing it w weed, but I've been smoking diatomaceous earth since there was life on Mars.. tiny shell covered creatures.. not much of a life right? But ya, u jus diatomaceous into a glass pipe.. like meth, except it won't make u psychic or have u paint your walls all night, u can get back in touch w your ancient... Jurassic side connecting in a real way with fossilized lobster or whatever..

420atoz

420atoz

Sup everyone. Any advice as to how much of DE to be applied to the soil for each plant ?

Thanks in advance ✌🏻

Harmonylight1111

Harmonylight1111

I don't know about mixing it w weed, but I've been smoking diatomaceous earth since there was life on Mars.. tiny shell covered creatures.. not much of a life right? But ya, u jus diatomaceous into a glass pipe.. like meth, except it won't make u psychic or have u paint your walls all night, u can get back in touch w your ancient... Jurassic side connecting in a real way with fossilized lobster or whatever..
Lol

Top Bottom