Dicalcium Phospate, Di-Cal, Precipitated Bonemeal

• Thread starter LightDep530
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LightDep530

Hey I have not been able to find much information on using Dicalcium Phosphate but a friend swears by it and produces some very nice yields. I do not often care for the taste of his outdoor but I'm not sure which combination of his practices contributes to it.
A google search turned up very little info. Steamed Bonemeal is the normal organic amendment that is sold and used. This stuff says is derived from precipitated bonemeal. I think it possibly breaks down faster.
Anyone use this? Any pros or cons?
My friend mixes it into his soil. I have seen homeboy rototill this stuff (crazy) right into his feeder roots/dripline in the late summer and pull down some crazy kolas. I don't think that is how ill do it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Never even heard of it, but at this very moment I'm looking down at the back forty and thinking that maybe, just maybe my husband is right and I should use that for throwing down the OD growing, too. That means that I'll need to do FAR more amending/soil-building than I've done in a couple of years.

L

LightDep530

I think the DiCal is cheap. If its made from bones then it shouldn't have much heavy metals. I think its a feed store product. The friend that uses it is kind of a feed store grower. I seen him use alfalfa pellets too, nitro was a little high at the end of that run. Them suckers grew though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I thought about doing pellets (I'm familiar with what was in the feed store 30-40 years ago, not so much now) but felt that the binders would cause me issues I may not be ready to deal with.

Fucking dog. She farts like when you take a ballon and hold the end of it and make go, "squuueeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!"

bitch

Anyway, back to the alfalfa--I ended up just asking them if I could have a bag-ful of sweepings, and two, three years later I still have it. I've been amending beds with it, making teas, and since you only need a little bit at a time, it's lasted quite a while.

She's got a totally sheepish look on her face, she does *not* want to be put out for this offense.

Ask him what he thinks about A&M (alfalfa & molasses). I'm getting myself a bag, 2 birds, 1 stone.

J

jay.alders

I used Dicalcium Phosphate last year on an outdoor run. I was in the grow shop looking at different nutes and one of the workers (not the owner) really liked me and he told me about this product. At first I was very cautious because of obvious reasons but when I got to the counter to check out you could tell that the owner was pissed I was not buying AN or some bottled nutrient that he wanted to sell me. Even still, I was very cautious when we topped dressed this product. I was told to dress 1 cup for every 100 gallons of soil, then either compost tea or water it into the medium. No, DO NOT PUT THIS INTO THE COMPOST TEA, rather, we watered in with compost tea. I do not want to be the new guy that everyone thinks told them to add DiCal to their compost tea....=)

The results were fucking astounding. I was honestly blown away at the plants response to the top dress, so much so that we dressed again 4 weeks later. Hope that helps.

J

L

LightDep530

Thanks for the info man. Looks like this one is a little secret. Any noticable difference in taste or burn of the buds?
1 cup topdress surely is a lot. I think we mixed 1 tbs/ gallon in the soil with a cement mixer. I'm not sure how much topdress. I topdressed 1 cup of bonemeal in some 100 gal containers once, it did not work out well. The topdress turned into concrete and the plants started locking out. I had to scrape it all off.
The bonemeal takes too long for a topdress I've decided. The fishbone is another story though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for the info man. Looks like this one is a little secret. Any noticable difference in taste or burn of the buds?
1 cup topdress surely is a lot. I think we mixed 1 tbs/ gallon in the soil with a cement mixer. I'm not sure how much topdress. I topdressed 1 cup of bonemeal in some 100 gal containers once, it did not work out well. The topdress turned into concrete and the plants started locking out. I had to scrape it all off.
The bonemeal takes too long for a topdress I've decided. The fishbone is another story though.
You can top-dress quite a bit IF you make sure it can't form a cake on top. Mix some soil into it next time, see how that works.

I remember going to see Fishbone at Al's Bar in the artist district in LA many, many years ago. A young and very fat man decided Al's Bar was a great venue for a mosh pit (it isn't) and tried to mosh. I nailed him the back of the head with my 4" yellow patent leather spiked heels. If you're envisioning something rather 80s, just remember, I said this was many years ago. :giggle

Fishbone! Best song? U G L Y (you ain't go no alibi, you're just uuggllyyy!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom