Didn't Buffer My Coco Brick before germination..

• Thread starter TheWitchyHippie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheWitchyHippie

TheWitchyHippie

Hi! So I currently started my first ever grow. It's outside in a subtropical climate. 5gallon grow bags, 1/3 living soil (bottom), 1/3 FFHH (middle), 1/3 top layer: half coco coir brick, triple washed but not buffered & FFHH. I planted my germinated seeds yesterday, they sprouted this morning and I just realized I was supposed to buffer my coco. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I've googled countless things and want to continue the grow while supplementing CalMag. I'm unsure if I should water normally for a seedling with added CalMag or try to drench the entire top layer with CalMag but would doing so negatively affect the seedling? All input appreciated! Strains are Magnum Auto & Northern Lights Auto.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Hey bro, first off these "layers" don't really work and can be the cause of a number of problems (no'till would be the exception)

As for your coco brick - sometimes these are full of sea salt which is really bad for our plant.

I'd remove that layer, wash all coco thoroughly until drain EC is about ppm 250 roughly. Then soak it in a puffer solution another day, that also is pH'ed to 5.8.

If I were you I'd unearth the plants by washing it, and mix your earth ingredients together, then check on EC pH via slurry 1.5:1-method, if it's pH 6.3-6.8 and EC 1.5-2.5mS it is cannabis-friendly

indogrow420

indogrow420

I was thinking,,, if the top layer is where the coco is at, by the time the seedling gets its roots established, it will be standing in the FFHF (Soil). Seedlings dont need nutes / calmag so no issues there IMO, just watch out for deficiencies in the future..‽

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom