Difficult to Germinate

• Thread starter Resinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Resinator

I bought a pack of Afgaan seeds and an Indoor Mix pack. All of my Indoor mix seeds germinated but none of my Afgaan were successful. Either I bought crappy seeds or these seeds act different then the rest because I am using the lights, water and nutes as the pack that did germinate.

About half of the Afgaan seeds didnt even crack open and of the half that did crack open the root only got about 1/16th of an inch long and then stopped growing.

I am germinating them in an Aerogarden and do not have problems with any other seeds. I have two Afgaan seeds left out of the 10 I started with. Any suggestions to get these troublesome seeds to grow?

P

ProGroWannabe

The only suggestion that I know of is to lightly scrape the part of the shell where the two halves come together(where the seed cracks when it opens). Maybe they're just really hard shelled? Hopefully someone else will come along to offer more/better suggestions?

X

xchaoticmetalx

I have always overly wached the germinating process and have noticed myself that some feminized seeds have a hard time getting there shell off. I just germinated 4 Trainwreck and 4 White Rhino and the Rhino was perfect, but if I hadn't helped the shell off the Trainwreck I might only have 1 instead of 4. They were def diffucult to get going. Now they are taking off bigtime, plus the one that germed fine is blaintantly a diff pheno too, funny huh.

M

mr west

Ive had to help my trainwreck, almost pulled the head right off, it lost its first set f round leaves but the newer spiky leave sare ok. I lost 3 DLR's cuz they were stuck in the shell casing :(

S

Skunkenstein

I always soak my seeds in a cup of water over night. Once the seeds sink to the bottom they are ready.Then I will usually use the paper towel method, between two ceramic saucers.I will wrap the bottom dish with saranwrap and put the top dish on the top.Then keep the set-up in a warm area.I just germinated 3 grape krush and 3swt#3's that way, with 100% succes

Four2Zero

Four2Zero

After having lost seeds over the years and not knowing why they didnt crack, I started scuffing them all, carefully. You can use fine sand paper. Then I soak em 24 hours and if popped theyre ready, if not, paper towel until popped. Most of my emergenct surgery to get plants going is a thing of the past. One other thing is to make sure the root is pointing up when you stick the seed in the hole and this helps rub the seed case off as the head emerges.

Aligee

Aligee

I have also have bad germ rates and nothing even sprouting at all ive since started scuffiing the shell of said beans and then soaking them in r/o h2O but only for 12hrs not 24 like i used to then into rapid rooters they go takes a couple days for them to pop up, theres some newer strains that i would never have thought to not germ or just no push at all just stop growing altogether now this is expected with older beans "low germ"but new and fresh. come on ive bitten my tongue on this topic here as to not put no one on blast u know when a breeder doesnt return your pm but is very visable and active daily on line with no response ? oh well that still prob wont stop me from buying tha next best thing anways good luck....

R

Resinator

I am thankful that I at least got one Afghan to sprout out of the nine attempted.
Even though two weeks later I shocked it with a PPM overdose it finally has started growing again. I think I will take a cutting before I flower it.

It better be a girl after all this

P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks for letting us know that the one survived. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

R

Resinator

I think I am also going to try and germinate in real sunlight from now on, that may have also made a difference in that last seeds success. I have one more seed left too : yay

C

cell

I had a decent collection of roughly 200 seeds, various strains. I had this collection for 3 years, frozen. They might have been unfrozen once for nearly 30 mins during a move. Anyway, out of those 200 seeds only 15 had popped. I was not a happy grower. To this day I do not know why.
I cannot get over how plump some of those seeds were.

Top Bottom