dimmable ballasts and bulb combinations

• Thread starter SweetTooth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Im am still running mag core ballasts but I am planning on making the switch to digital ballasts within the next couple of harvests and I want to know what bulb combinations you guys have tried with the dimmable ballasts. Some manufactures offer a 800 watt setting and some offer a 750 watt setting so I am thinking of what would be the outcome if you tried to "super drive" a hps bulb in these combinations:

A: a 600 watt hps bulb on a 750watt setting

B: a 750 watt hps bulb on a 800 watt setting

Or

C: 1000watt hps bulb on a 750 watt setting

D: quit fucking messing around and run the corresponding bulb to the manufactures setting on the ballast you idiot!

Please chime in here with any of your experiences with the possible bulb and wattage combinations

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

I have a 1000w Quantum dimmable ballast. Ive dialed it down to 75% and 50% during veg, but have always used the proper wattage bulb (ie 1000 bulb-1000 ballast). I asked a friend if i could use a lower wattage bulb if the ballast was dialed down, and he said unless I was going to constantly be there to potentially extenguish a fire he wouldnt suggest it. That said, I have read about other people doing it. Would I do it? Nope.

S

seebobsled

Well I vote for D.

I have lumateck 1k switchable and run @ 600w with Ushio 600w/opti-red. Done well with 2 in a 4x6 tent rocking 12 pot Ebb n Grow.

Though if I was to say start at 600w after stretch bump to 750w for 2 weeks. Then change to 1k bulb and bump to 1000w for 2 weeks, super L. for 2 weeks . Now change back to 600w bulb at 750w for a week then 600w thru the flush. Washing the glass at every bulb change would also maximize the light. I think it is more like nature but a bit of chance if you don't pay the bill that costs no money at the time = (Attention ) it can cost more than just money.

Another view have been talking if high air flow can change the spectrum can't you just bump up for proper operating temps getting the shift back in the spectrum? Seems right but I know from other app.s that super or over driving bulbs will shorten the life but run bright as hell. If you live life like Def leopard... it is better to burn out than fade away!! Let's get burning! :rock :bong2:

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Copy & Pasted

Can I purchase the 600 watt and use a 400 watt hps bulb -dan

no unfortunately, the ballast are only designed to lessen the power on a correct wattage bulb, and not use a lower wattage bulb if you were to use a lower wattage bulb on a higher wattage ballast it would pretty much turn into a glass grenade and cause some serious damage. -Greners Staff

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Copy & Pasted

Can I purchase the 600 watt and use a 400 watt hps bulb -dan

no unfortunately, the ballast are only designed to lessen the power on a correct wattage bulb, and not use a lower wattage bulb if you were to use a lower wattage bulb on a higher wattage ballast it would pretty much turn into a glass grenade and cause some serious damage. -Greners Staff

Interesting. This is the first that I have heard of this. I wonder if it is worth it at all because like said above the spectrum will change if the bulb is not firing at the right temperature. Seems like we need a lighting engineer to set us strait

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Interesting. This is the first that I have heard of this. I wonder if it is worth it at all because like said above the spectrum will change if the bulb is not firing at the right temperature. Seems like we need a lighting engineer to set us strait

True. Just doesnt seem safe though. Youre playing w fire..or you might be soon..LOL

T

tattoojim

i seen in another thread...quote 1000 watt bulb burning on a 600 setting, will not burn the rite spectrum. because the frequency is change for the 600 bulb and causes the 1000 watt to burn half way. im on my first run with digis and have no exp. on this. but the source seemed legit.. hope that made sense

P

paulycali

You cant run a 600 watt bulb at 1000 watts. It will either blow up the bulb or mess up your ballast

The answer is D for Definetaly not reccomended :)

P

paulycali

You can run a 1000 watt bulb on any of the dimmable settings

Not sure if its true what tattoojim said but it could be true. They were saying you will not get the correct spectrum if you run a 1000 watt bulb at a lower setting. Something like this. Its like driving with your parking break on. Kinda makes sense

Venom818

Venom818

I have done it with no problems during veg have ran a 1k digi at 500 and 750

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Found this info on hydrofarms web page:

Q: I have a 1000W ballast, can I use a 400W or 600W bulb in it?
A: No, ballasts can only be used with bulbs that are of the same wattage rating. A 1000W ballast can only be used with a 1000W bulb, a 400W with a 400W, etc. *This does not apply to the dimmable Lumateks, which can use a 600W bulb if dimming switch is set to 600W, etc.*

Q: Can the Phantom digital ballast operate different wattage lamps using the dimmability feature?
A: No, the Phantom dimmable feature is not made to allow different operation of multiple wattages. A 1000w ballast should only operate 1000w lamps, 600w models with 600w lamps, etc.

And this from the solis-tek web page

-4 step dimming: SolisBoost - 1000W - 600W - 400W.
-Metal Halide (MH) & High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Lamps
-2 power cords included
-Soft Start Technology
-Powers 1000w, 600w, 400w lamps.
-Constant Power Factor 99.9%
- 8.92 AMPS @ 120v / 4.46 AMPS @ 240

So it is safe to say that both Lumatek and Solis-Tek dimmable ballasts can run different wattage lamps

M

meercat.com

ive dropped my 600w in veg down 75% and 50% sunmaster mettle hilide and no probs i carnt think if mine allows 400w bulbs if i think prop it says to use the same watt for watt bulb ballast.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Man every time i read a thread about this it says something different?WTF...

S

seebobsled

The biggest problem is user error. As said it can be a "glass grenade" that is if you try to superlum a 600w bulb on 1k ballast sure. That is like double the watts. I run 600w bulbs in lumatek 1k on 600w setting. The lamps been great for transplant shock and flower 2 rounds on 3. I think one click would not "grenade" from bulb wattage but shorten lifespan for sure. Higher power will create higher harmonics from the boost in higher frequencies so too much could grenade .

I think the old bulb shouldn't be boosted but new every 1 or 2 cycles. I do boost diy 32w T8's with great results in veg.

:pimp:

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Just found out that the SLS Galaxy Select-a-watt ballasts are both dimmable and swappable

These state-of-the-art ballasts are manufactured to provide today’s serious grower with maximum flexibility & performance. The Galaxy® Select-A-Watt® is the preferred “dimmable” electronic ballast on the market. The Galaxy® brand name carries a strong reputation of reliability and performance.
Lamps are only dimmable on wattages lower than the specified lamp wattage. A 1000 watt lamp can be dimmed down to 600 or 400 watt. A 600 watt lamp can be dimmed down to 400 watt, but cannot be over-driven to 1000 watts.
Turbo Charge® is designed for 1000 watt lamps only on 902518 and 600 watt lamps only on 902517. Do not use with 400 or 600 watt lamps on 902518 and do not use 400 watt lamps on 902517. This can be hazardous.
There are three ways to use the Select-A-Watt® feature: It will properly drive a 400, 600 or 1000 watt lamp to ANSI specifications. For example: Set the switch to 400 watts, insert a 400 watt lamp into your socket and the ballast will operate the 400 watt lamp. The ballast will similarly operate 600 or 1000 watt lamps.
The second option is to dim a 1000 watt lamp. Adjust the switch to 400 or 600 watts and the ballast will dim the 1000 watt lamp by 40% or 60%.
The Turbo Charge® feature will increase the output of a 1000 watt lamp (only) by approximately 10%. You will achieve peak performance, but this may decrease your lamp life.
5 year warranty.

Venom818

Venom818

Found this info on hydrofarms web page:

Q: I have a 1000W ballast, can I use a 400W or 600W bulb in it?
A: No, ballasts can only be used with bulbs that are of the same wattage rating. A 1000W ballast can only be used with a 1000W bulb, a 400W with a 400W, etc. *This does not apply to the dimmable Lumateks, which can use a 600W bulb if dimming switch is set to 600W, etc.*

Q: Can the Phantom digital ballast operate different wattage lamps using the dimmability feature?
A: No, the Phantom dimmable feature is not made to allow different operation of multiple wattages. A 1000w ballast should only operate 1000w lamps, 600w models with 600w lamps, etc.

And this from the solis-tek web page

-4 step dimming: SolisBoost - 1000W - 600W - 400W.
-Metal Halide (MH) & High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Lamps
-2 power cords included
-Soft Start Technology
-Powers 1000w, 600w, 400w lamps.
-Constant Power Factor 99.9%
- 8.92 AMPS @ 120v / 4.46 AMPS @ 240

So it is safe to say that both Lumatek and Solis-Tek dimmable ballasts can run different wattage lamps

i think the solis tek info u just posted just tells u the setting the ballast offers.

found this from a hydroponic web site

what does this exactly mean "Dimmable" Is it like the quantum? Say I get your 1k package, during summer I loose the heat battle and want to turn it to 50% can I do that? just switch the balast to 50% or I need the different watt bulbs to consider it dimmable? is it like the quantum dimmable I guess Im asking where you can rock a 1k, turn it to 75% or 50% and get realistic results? I saw a nice video testing the quantum lumen output at the different settings, and it worked, voltages too! -Steve

The Lumatek dimmable ballast is dimmable not by percentage of overall output, but by increments i.e., 1000w, 750w, and 600w. You can run a 1000w bulb on any of these settings, but you might get a different spectrum if you run a 1000w bulb on a 750w or 600w setting, but the difference in spectrum usually isn't drastic.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Solis teks website says that yes you can burn 3 different wattage bulbs from the 1000w ballast BUT you must match the bulb to setting,I.E. 400 wat bulb on 400 watt setting etc etc.,i dont see anything on there saying you can burn a 1000w bulb on a 400 or 600 watt setting.

Top Bottom