Dinamed Kush CBD and Honey Peach CBD grow

• Thread starter Jahredi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jahredi

Jahredi

This is my first indoor grow. Just finished my first outdoor grow of Wedding Cake with great success. Now to see if I got lucky, or actually have a knack for this...

Going with a couple autoflowers for my first indoor attempt just to wrap my head around controlling the environment. Also, I went with some CBD rich strains to balance out all the high THC Wedding Cake I have on hand.

1 Dinamed Kush CBD seed from Dinafem
1 Honey Peach CBD from Sweet Seeds
0D3FC29B-4535-4477-ACA5-50B446DE1843.jpeg

2x4x5 Tent
2 - SF 1000 QB style lights with LM301B chips (100w each)
Infinity 4” inline exhaust fan
passive intake
2 - fans for air movement
50/35/15 - Happy Frog/Ocean Forest/Perlite
(I also threw in a couple handfuls of diotamaceous earth for good measure)
3 gallon fabric pots
Rapid Rooter starts
DB6B5A1F-176A-4DF4-93B9-61627899E398.jpeg

I used Rapid Rooter starts for my successful outdoor grow this summer. I just popped the seeds in them and then immediately transferred the Rapid Rooter to soil. Going with what worked before. I like the moisture retention and protection that the Rapid Rooters provide. Also, a little protection from hot soil while seedling gets established.

Soaked the Seeds in tap water for about 8 hours on 11/10, soaked the Rapid Rooter, squeezed the excess water out, and dropped the seeds in pointy side down. Covered loosely with a piece the Rapid Rooter. About 24 hours later on 11/11 the seeds popped. Germinated two seeds, popped both. 💯 Started 18/6 light as soon as I observed the taproot.
9ABBEACF-A479-4CD2-97FB-191E564D0E26.jpeg

Transplanted Rapid Rooters to soil on 11/12, running 18/6 light, 72-77 F, 70% RH.

After another 24 hours, seedlings emerged this morning. I will start lowering humidity about 5% a week going forward.

Counting today as day 1 🙌
D20F472A-7999-49EF-A5C5-59F6FAFA8D99.jpeg
31E2359F-7AE6-406C-B6B3-3326EA4DD8CE.jpeg

Probably going to SCROG, haven’t decided yet... I would appreciate the input on whether to SCROG or not to SCROG, that is the question...

Jahredi

Jahredi

If its auto I would LST them instead. Looking nice, keep us updated
Is the idea to LST based on not having the photoperiod plant where one can control the vegetive timing to properly fill out the ScrOG? Like, is the auto probably going to start flowering before the ScrOG canopy has a chance to fill in?

Would you top them at 5th node?

Thanks for the input OdlaFett!

Jahredi

Jahredi

End of Day 1

Came home from work tonight and the first set of proper leaves were out!

I'm digging the Dinafem Dinamed Kush genetics. It was a plump seed and has produced a fat, sturdy looking stem. It's also very symmetrical. Just looks nice.
IMG 2588

The Honey Peach definitely looks a little more suspect. Not very symmetrical, a little thinner and more fragile looking. We will see...
IMG 2587

I was not stoked on the downturned leaves, so...

I had some dinner, a smoke, and did some blog browsing. Trying to figure out the best distance for the lights at this point (for all points, for that matter).

I have two SF 1000 lights. They're a QB-style light with LM301B chips. They dim from 40 watts up to about 110 watts. I have them at 100 watts. I had them at 18" but after reading around decided to go to 24" and move closer from there if they look like they can take it.

I know it's strain dependent, lights matter, and I'd assume that tent temp plays a part, too. But I'd love to hear how everyone else does it.

IMG 2589
IMG 2590

(Also, if anyone notices something and has some wisdom to share, please do)

Last edited:
Deke

Deke

Is the idea to LST based on not having the photoperiod plant where one can control the vegetive timing to properly fill out the ScrOG? Like, is the auto probably going to start flowering before the ScrOG canopy has a chance to fill in?

Yes.

And some like to top, I like the LST so far, just start early.

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Exactly, you got a small window of vegging and want to cause the least amount of stress on her in that period. I wouldnt top her, just tie her down 90 degress when shes about 20-25 cm. The side branches will shoot out and you tie them down aswell making a even canope, its basicly like scrog but a bondage version.

Jahredi

Jahredi

Exactly, you got a small window of vegging and want to cause the least amount of stress on her in that period. I wouldnt top her, just tie her down 90 degress when shes about 20-25 cm. The side branches will shoot out and you tie them down aswell making a even canope, its basicly like scrog but a bondage version.
Haha. Got it. Thanks! I think I’ll go with that approach.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Looks good. Dinafem seeds never let me down. I LOVE their strawberry amnesia, it has very low leaf to bud ratio and it’s a huge producer. I can easily get 5oz dried from one plant. Hope this strain treats you well!

4plant

4plant

Good luck! Looks like you’ve done your homework. The only heads up I’d give you is that leds intensity seem to cause some issues with getting the distance correct. Move them closer slowly and pay attention to how the plants react, also use a cal- mag supplement. I’m not sure if the lack of heat from the light or increased intensity but in my experience plants under leds need extra cal.

Jahredi

Jahredi

Good luck! Looks like you’ve done your homework. The only heads up I’d give you is that leds intensity seem to cause some issues with getting the distance correct. Move them closer slowly and pay attention to how the plants react, also use a cal- mag supplement. I’m not sure if the lack of heat from the light or increased intensity but in my experience plants under leds need extra cal.
I actually moved it to 30” this morning. Both the seed leaves and first set of fan leaves are bent down. Hopefully they perk up with the extra distance. I’ll post some pics tonight, see what everyone thinks 🙏

Jahredi

Jahredi

So things aren’t looking great right now. Second set of fan leaves emerged but everything is pointing down.
3E64D75A F710 427F BAD1 26D332817F37
5538F65D 40D6 4E4E AB1C B342A0395505

Thinking too much light or water...

70-78 F
70%RH

Lights at 100w 30" 18/6
Been watering with a sprayer when the soil looks dry, but maybe the Rapid Rooter is holding a lot of water...

Thoughts?

Jahredi

Jahredi

Well, I've landed on over watering. I measured the LST and it was 77F, which would seem to rule out the lights. I'm guessing that the Rapid Rooter is just holding a lot of moisture. When I used them for the outdoor, I think the sun and wind was much more effective at drying them out. It's also worth noting that the Dinamed seedling, which was showing the most pronounced droop, was closest to the humidifier. Feeling pretty confident it was overwatering. I'll adjust my watering schedule accordingly. Also, I brought the lights back down to 24"

Seraphine

Seraphine

cannabis doesn’t like wet feet. Better to go too long without watering than to water too frequently. I noticed you don’t have a fan for air circulation. Add at least one clip on fan to one of the poles in your tent. That will also help prevent mildew and other diseases. also airflow will make your plant stems stronger.

Jahredi

Jahredi

cannabis doesn’t like wet feet. Better to go too long without watering than to water too frequently. I noticed you don’t have a fan for air circulation. Add at least one clip on fan to one of the poles in your tent. That will also help prevent mildew and other diseases. also airflow will make your plant stems stronger.

Thanks! I have two fans in there. One is at the top on high blowing down on the ballasts/heatsinks, and the other is caddy corner on the floor on low. I can see a ton of air movement in humidifier mist.

Dinamed leaves don’t look a whole lot better today. It’s about to go dark for them. Hoping to see some improvements tonight when they come back on 🤞🤞🤞

Seraphine

Seraphine

your soil is probably too hot for those seedlings. Thought I saw a brown edge on the seedling in the second picture. Next time, layer the soil with your autos. Put your hotter soils like fox farms in the bottom 3/4 of your pot then fill the rest with a well draining potting soil with no added fertilizers.

Jahredi

Jahredi

your soil is probably too hot for those seedlings. Thought I saw a brown edge on the seedling in the second picture. Next time, layer the soil with your autos. Put your hotter soils like fox farms in the bottom 3/4 of your pot then fill the rest with a well draining potting soil with no added fertilizers.
Dang. I was thinking that could be the case. I almost did the layering, but then I just went ahead and mixed the Happy Frog with the Ocean Forest, thinking that would tamp it down touch. Last time I left them in the Rapid Rooters longer, too. Also, I was hoping that the Rapid Rooters would provide a little protection from the nutrients in the OF soil, especially since I wasn't watering the soil directly.

Well, hopefully they pull through. I might try some surgery tomorrow if there's no improvement. I have some leftover Happy Frog soil. I could pull the seedlings out, carefully remove the Rapid Rooter, and then plant them directly in Solo cups with the leftover HF.

Thanks for your insight!

Jahredi

Jahredi

@Seraphine I just read a reply from you, but then it disappeared... weird.

I liked what you were saying. That's a great idea. I'll probably do something like that with the fork just to scope out the roots. This is all just an experiment. To be honest, I'm kind of antsy to try some of my Wedding Cake seed stock indoors. That being said, I might just let them go and see what happens. They are growing. I appreciate your input. Very valuable to hear other people's perspectives and experience. Thank you!

Seraphine

Seraphine

@Seraphine I just read a reply from you, but then it disappeared... weird.

I liked what you were saying. That's a great idea. I'll probably do something like that with the fork just to scope out the roots. This is all just an experiment. To be honest, I'm kind of antsy to try some of my Wedding Cake seed stock indoors. That being said, I might just let them go and see what happens. They are growing. I appreciate your input. Very valuable to hear other people's perspectives and experience. Thank you!
I think I went to edit it but accidentally deleted the reply

Seraphine

Seraphine

I think I went to edit it but accidentally deleted the reply

it is not recommended to transplant autos because they are on a preset timeline to flower. That means any stress could slow/stunt growth, resulting in a small plant and low yields. However, nutrient burn can cause the plant to stress too. many would on here would advise to leave it alone and not risk transplant shock. If these were my plants, I would risk replanting them.

This is what I would do:

Take a fork and loosen the soil around the rapid rooter (about 4” from the seedling). the seedling root system is small enough that you should be able to lift it out without damaging the roots. Just be careful because if you damage the roots, that could cause transplant shock.

I would scoop out some of the fox farms soil and replace it with well draining plain potting soil. Transplant the seeding back into the fabric pot. Cannabis roots tend to grow more wide than deep so with that in mind, make sure you replace enough of the soil so that the seedlings roots won’t touch the fox farms soil until it is out of the seedling stage.

Jahredi

Jahredi

Oh man. This is not looking good.

So.... I used the fork and dug out around the Rapid Rooter. Saw tiny roots on the sides and it felt like the roots out of the bottom were holding it tight. So I did not transplant. Instead, I did not water for two days (I was barely watering anyway). New growth was evident, but it looks off, and the first leaves look horrible.

This is the Dinamed Kush from just now:
IMG 2653
IMG 2654

The large first leaves feel stiff. They're domed and discolored. Dark and yellow.

And the Honey Peach:
IMG 2655
IMG 2656

The large first leaves look better, still kind of downturned, and the new growth looks brown or purple...

What in the heck is going on

I tell ya, this seed purchasing/indoor grow thing is way harder than growing my Wedding Cake outdoors. Lol. These indoor babies feel so fragile and need too much attention 😭 I can't wait for spring when I can pop 3-5 seeds and just let nature do it's thing with unlimited space and light, and then bitch about having to trim pounds of weed in October. Instead, I'm monkeying around with seedlings in hopes of getting a couple ounces 🤣

However, in the meantime, what is going on? Do you think it's the auto strain? I've read that they are prone to issues. Or is it lights, nute burn, overwatering... ugh

Top Bottom