Dirt seedling soil choices

• Thread starter Radar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Radar

Radar

Hello Farmers,

I've got a few seeds germinating and I have a few options on how to proceed once they root.

I will be growing in a tent, will be transplanting the best to large cloth pots containing Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, and Perlite mix.

Would you use this Dutch Treat starter mix with a germinated seed in a SOLO cup to sprout?
Dirt seedling soil choices

Or something like ocean forest / perlite?

Dirt seedling soil choices 2

How about those peat pods
Dirt seedling soil choices 3

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
ru knuts

ru knuts

After much research on this I went with root riot cubes and glad I did, seedling and clones alike. I even cut some clones while flowering stuck them in a root riot cube with no clone x, no thing other than very light nutrients. About half these clones I just stuck them in a cube to see what would happen. I was pleasantly surprised. 2 clones didn't make it, one with clonex and one without. These are after transplanting from trays to solo cups.
IMG 20200404 083717064
a

Madbud

Madbud

Hello Farmers,

I've got a few seeds germinating and I have a few options on how to proceed once they root.

I will be growing in a tent, will be transplanting the best to large cloth pots containing Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, and Perlite mix.

Would you use this Dutch Treat starter mix with a germinated seed in a SOLO cup to sprout?
View attachment 957866

View attachment 957867

View attachment 957868

Thanks for any replies!
I don’t like peat pots because they dry too quickly, i’ve used them, have about ten right now and they just don’t root as well as Happy Frog for me. Of course the reason the frog is happy is because of the fungus gnats in HF, a couple sticky traps are all thats required to control them. OceanForest is pretty hot for seedlings but great for uppotting. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I put all of my seedlings in straight FFOF in solo cups and it is rarely too hot for them. Good luck with your grow! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

quirk

quirk

I germ in Jiffys' and transfer day after sprout into a soil mix that has FF Light Warrior/perlite in top third and a mix of FFOF/FFHF/perlite and organic granular fertilizer in bottom 2/3rds. This is what works for me growing autos.

IMG 20200318 064957743
DSCN2682 2
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hello Farmers,

View attachment 957866

View attachment 957867

View attachment 957868

Thanks for any replies!
I use peat pods and have for a long time.

This isn't to say it's necessarily the best way. It does has it's drawback too. It's a wet medium and will retain excess water. If you choose this route, pay attention to that.

When I first started using them years ago, I had a situation where stem rot killed a juvenile vegging plant due to me watering close to the stem. I expand the peat pots ahead of time and keep them "moist" not wet I wait for germination. I germinate in paper towel and transfer.

I might change that though. I'm thinking about trying it a new way.

ru knuts

ru knuts

I let my Taproot get to long about 3/4 of an inch before cubing them. I'd have liked it to be 3/8-1/2, but they all survived regardless.

Top Bottom