Dirtbag is poopin in a tent!! ⛺ Adventures with the Spiderfarmer SF4000

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I’ll forever find Unislabs fascinating. One could imagine how such a thing could aid in growing plants in spaceships. How much water at a time at most do they fill up with? This question maybe isn’t even applicable. My soil intuition says they’d be sitting in standing water but that’s not necessarily the case. It’s like this half hydro half soilless mind fuck. Do you ever have plants that develop inefficient root systems because of Mother Nature and thus end up being in an overwatered state per se?

I'm not sure how these would do without gravity lol. But I believe they hold about 1.5L of water or so before they begin to drain.

As for overwatering it can happen if you plant an underdeveloped root system Into too much rockwool, it can stay too wet and the roots don't explore. That's more of a problem with the large blocks like Hugo's than Unislabs though. 3" block on slab results in an amazing root system since it fully roots the small 3" block first, and when you place it on the slab the main root ball and stem crown is now elevated above the main water table so it naturally stays oxygenated enough and then the roots can explore out the bottom into the slab. The roots basically take over the whole bottom layer of the unislab, I'll post some pics of the roots when I have better phone reception.

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

before they begin to drain.

So, they do have holes in them that drain out water onto the table?

when you place it on the slab the main root ball and stem crown is now elevated above the main water table so it naturally stays oxygenated enough and then the roots can explore out the bottom into the slab.

Would it be unfeasible to grow only in the slabs?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So, they do have holes in them that drain out water onto the table?

Would it be unfeasible to grow only in the slabs?
You cut 4 slits in the bottom of the bag on the edges and water drains out yeah. But it will still hold about a liter and a half or more fully saturated, I'm not exactly sure how much it holds though, could be more or less.

And yeah it wouldn't be a good idea to use it on its own. You really want to place a well established root system on them, it's how they were designed to be used. Direct planting the plants would give you the same slow rooting issues as the Hugo.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
20210529 133922
20210529 133935
20210529 134004

Some pics of the Unislab roots. Mind you I took these pics a few days after harvest and they were starting to dry up.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

I think he meant the buds look fire, it's weed lingo

But I did fry my plants by accidentally shutting down ventilation and they got up to 50 celcius overnight.
The smell in the room the next day was so disgusting, Like plant B.O., gross rotting sweaty smell..
"Like plant B.O., gross rotting sweaty smell.." 🤣 No thnx, I'll take the diesel B.O. any day, tyvm! 👍🤙🥴😄

Last edited:
KingKobi

KingKobi

Hi all from the land Downunder. Long time first time.
Can I just say thx on behalf of all noobs like me, to senior high end growers like you DB who freely share experiences and photos, it is REALLY appreciated. The generosity between ppl around sharing knowledge and helping out when $hit goes bad etc is moving and inspiring. I really admire this community.
I won’t be clogging up the airways but thanks again so much.
I believe the appropriate term here is : “pullin up a chair.”
Good luck DB and know your efforts are appreciated.

Top Bottom