Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The problem for me is i dont want compost or smelly nutrients breaking down in my indoor growrooms. I will smell them in my living room.

Also even ocean forest attracts springtails here. Pro mix does not.

Thats why im going to mix in ozmocote. A controlled release dry fertilizer to the pro mix to give it base nutrients like good organic potting soil. With no poop smell.

EJ isn't for you then lol. It STINKS!

The mixed nutrient solution isn't so bad, its more so just the smell of the nutes themselves when you take the cap off.. Its ripe lol. But I never noticed that it made the room stinky or anything when I used it before. And that was in my bedroom closet lol. Osmocote is good stuff if you don't want organics. I used it in my outdoor grow this past summer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

EJ isn't for you then lol. It STINKS!

The mixed nutrient solution isn't so bad, its more so just the smell of the nutes themselves when you take the cap off.. Its ripe lol. But I never noticed that it made the room stinky or anything when I used it before. And that was in my bedroom closet lol. Osmocote is good stuff if you don't want organics. I used it in my outdoor grow this past summer.

Yeah my caregivers basement just smelled mildly of ocean forest soil. I dont remember a bad stink when he mixed earth juice.

But a dry compost based fertilizer will stink as its broken down no?

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@Dirtbag do you think a half dose amount of ozmocote plus granules is sufficient? They already suggest a half dose for indoor and i want to half it again. I am still transplanting twice. So more worked in each time. I planned to give foliage pro or bloom as the plant shows needs. And maybe a dose of the mag pro near ripening for the sulfer blast. And a few shots of silica in the water from protekt.

Gettin fancy over here. :-)

Edit:

Half of half dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of soil. Stupid english math. ;-)

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

@Dirtbag do you think a half dose amount of ozmocote plus granules is sufficient? They already suggest a half dose for indoor and i want to half it again. I am still transplanting twice. So more worked in each time. I planned to give foliage pro or bloom as the plant shows needs. And maybe a dose of the mag pro near ripening for the sulfer blast. And a few shots of silica in the water from protekt.

Edit:

Hey MIM , I did the coast of Maine , only a faint almost sweet / poultry crap smell out of the bag , but not even noticeable layered in the promix and roots organic blend ......
Really happy with the results so far

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Edit:

What's the NPK? I use several different types of osmicote slow release at work. Stuff I used was 15-15-15 but I also used it outdoors and didn't really measure..

I think half of half is a good starting point. You can always work a little into the soil surface if you feel it needs more.

Making some pretty bold changes over there man, I like it!

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What's the NPK? I use several different types of osmicote slow release at work. Stuff I used was 15-15-15 but I also used it outdoors and didn't really measure..

I think half of half is a good starting point. You can always work a little into the soil surface if you feel it needs more.

Making some pretty bold changes over there man, I like it!

Im copying the ocean forest and pure blend pro but with soiless mix and conventional fertilizers. :-)

Just hope the damn bugs are gone. I will treat a few more plants with imid hoping to “root” them out.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Heres the label @Dirtbag its the home gardener retail 2 lb shaker of the indoor outdoor. Has 11 nutrients and minerals.

They also make a 13-13-13 flower/fruit but recomend this one for annuals and its close to pure blend pro in ratio.

Figure some protekt 0-0-3 will round it out. Plus some bloom from dyna grow for flowering.

Im kind of looking foward to learning to use this simple and mostly water only method.

I also upped the pro mix hp to 50/50 ratio of perlite. I had a bag of horticultural course small perlite like they use on hand.

The room smells proper tonight all on dyna grow.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Forgot to attach the label pic.

068E9DF3 7A47 441E 9535 DE84A76F76CA

3D0B5669 C818 408B 9B56 6D0114C56C59

Says 6 months but thats at 50 degrees farenheight. At my room temp in the mid 70’s it should only last 2 months.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

The problem for me is i dont want compost or smelly nutrients breaking down in my indoor growrooms. I will smell them in my living room.

Also even ocean forest attracts springtails here. Pro mix does not.

Thats why im going to mix in ozmocote. A controlled release dry fertilizer to the pro mix to give it base nutrients like good organic potting soil. With no poop smell.
this is really odd to me,i have never been able to smell my compost or worm crap in my house ever,but i can see in difrent zones you might,use bokashi as part of your feed regime,has two benifactors,first is the microbes that eat your compost and second it takes all smell away and deep,i plant compost scraps from table and sprinkle a little on the pile before covering with leaves and mix in the pile,no coons or possum go digging for it.
but hey pro mix aint bad either ,ive used it,i just dont care for how much it cost,i can buy a bail of peat moss and bag of ag lime and dolimite lime,do 1:1 mix of lime and then add 1 cup of lime for buffer in each 7 gal of peat and have my own pro mix add a little microbes and done,actually had that planned for last year ,my chest stopped that project
back on track,i am curiuos to see how the ozmocote works out for you guys,see this is my idea of science,not a book but hands on experience,good luck to both of yall

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome back to organics! I used earth juice years ago but man that shit stinks no matter what you do. Heaven forbid you leave some nutrient solution in a jug unused for a day or two.

Shortly after EJ I switched to Age Old Organics as it was produced just down to road from my vacation home in Illinois. It was a good solid product that I never had any issues with. Then came BioBizz. Imo it was the best of both worlds and I’ve used it ever since. I’ve also tried NFTG and Primordial Solutions and still use them as additives when needed but my base nutrient is BioBizz.

Now there is a product I’ve started using recently that you can mix in with bagged soils to create a super soil. It’s loaded with mycos (you get blooms inside the bag if you leave air in it) and is gentle on plants. It’s called Natures Living Soil and you can get it on amazon. Since stumbling upon this I no longer use worm castings. I noticed the worm castings I was using was lowering the overall ph in my soil mix and this does not do that. It has many of the same beneficial bacteria’s but imo is easier to use.

I’ve had an on and off again relationship with FFOF soil and love using it in my soil blends however the fungus gnat issue always leaves me wishing I hadn’t. But that’s to be expected. You know it’s good when the bugs love it. I’ve since switched to NFTG #4 which is a coco based soil blend with lots of organic ingredients and it’s not too hot for seedlings. I think it slurried at about 200-225ppm straight out of the bag. I do mix in a little more coco and perlite for seedlings and freshly rooted clones but I also bottle feed them pretty quickly. Anyhow if you use NTFG and mix in the Natures Living Soil it makes a pretty good FFOF substitute minus the bugs. NTFG comes with DE in the bag.

Anyhow sorry to ramble on and on but I just wanted to wish you luck and glad to see you back from the dark side ;-)

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Cant wait!! Ill be watching this one! I would recommend you check out SST's thats what made organics click for me. I did a whole outdoor season with only topdressing of DTE dry amendments and watering weekly with SST's, the enzyme content really makes the dry nutes pop off a cycle rapidly. Plus SST's smell fuckin awesome!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Cant wait!! Ill be watching this one! I would recommend you check out SST's thats what made organics click for me. I did a whole outdoor season with only topdressing of DTE dry amendments and watering weekly with SST's, the enzyme content really makes the dry nutes pop off a cycle rapidly. Plus SST's smell fuckin awesome!

Haha, yes sir, I also use SST in the form of malted barley tea. And I use enzymes komplete.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Does this mean no massive?

Leaving it out this time I think. If I do use it, it will be in super small doses infrequently. But I'm considering leaving it out all together.
I might play around with foliar Tria.. But I want to keep the rootzone as free of chelates and salt based nutes as possible.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Leaving it out this time I think. If I do use it, it will be in super small doses infrequently. But I'm considering leaving it out all together.
I might play around with foliar Tria.. But I want to keep the rootzone as free of chelates and salt based nutes as possible.
Yeah can understand that. Probably use a lot less water too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom